Home General Discussion

Is Maya becoming the industry standard? Advice on retraining in Maya also needed.

Hey my fellow green tooth’s,

Got a bit of a query for everyone,

I keep hearing this rumour floating around that Maya is to become the games industry standard and Max is to become more architectural software that it is already used for and I was wondering if anyone had knowledge or any thoughts on this?

While I’m on the topic I was also wondering if people have any suggestions on the best way to move from Max to Maya? I’ve been looking into signing up to a monthly subscription website to learn Maya and also enhance my skills and I’ve been looking at 3Dmotive and digital tutors(just to name two) would this be a good rout to take and if so what website would people?

Advice is greatly appreciated XD

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you are already well versed in Max, switching over should be easy. I switched from Maya to Max for work, it took me maybe a few nights of free 3DBuzz intro to max tutorials to figure it out
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if Maya is replacing Max or if Max is being phased out. I see a lot of job listings that list either or. Or they prefer one but won't turn their nose up at someone who knows the other as long as they are the best candidate.

A lot of modeling seems to be done more and more in zbrush with retopo, rigging and animation done in another package. Even with modeling done in Max or Maya there seems to be enough overlap and easy file sharing between the apps that at the early stages of the pipeline it doesn't matter what program is used. Once you get a little deeper into the pipeline it starts to matter a bit more.

I don't think it will hurt you to branch out and learn Maya, I'm just not sure you can write off max just yet. I would keep up on it max even if you switch entirely to Maya.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I first heard the "max is going away" rumor 10 years ago. I think it's just wishful thinking by application fan-boys.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I first heard the "max is going away" rumor 10 years ago. I think it's just wishful thinking by application fan-boys.

I switched from Maya to Max for work too! Again, it took me only a few nights of the same 3D buzz, and digital tutors tutorials. Its pretty straight forward and in hindsight learning both just encourages more opportunity!
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    The industry standard is in techniques used, not the modeling package anymore.

I'd prefer to have softimage be the standard myself, and a couple companies do use it, but not having it available doesn't change the fact that it's still just step one in a pipeline that's growing to require modeling+sculpting+baking tools from multiple sources regardless.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would heavily put on what Maya is becoming, is more Animation standard to the games industry. If you are an animator.

For all other things said, I can say more and more character artists are using Maya as a primary package these days than studio max. But will any get phased out like anyone else has commented so far? No, I definitely don't think so. As it can be brought to light that studios in Japan like Kojima still use XSI(Softimage) as their primary package.

I think most studios in general will leave it an open option to you by standard when you come to work. Just as long as your work can end up where its package app desired by other departments and such.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    We're just monkeys in the middle, so just keeping the pipeline all Maya eliminates a lot of headaches.

"We think you know too much, if you would please come with us, sir. And please don't try to resist." ;)

Seriously, both Maya and Max are industry standard. We work with many big studios all around the world and there's still plenty of Max projects.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    The major pressure I've seen for migration from Max to Maya has been from TechArt, to (understandably) make their lives easier. MaxScript is brutal and vulgar... like the Black Speech of Mordor, without the cool desaturation and lens-zoom effects when you use it. MEL and Python are heavenly in comparison. Integrating a DX11 game-accurate viewport is a breeze in Maya and a nearly ridiculous request in Max.

What I suspect will happen in the future is that either Autodesk will sell one off so they don't have to maintain two competing products, or they'll port a lot of the Max polymodeling tools and the Max UI (as an option) to Maya and just roll with one package under the hood, but with two choices of appearance and interface for the artist.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I've started to notice more and more companies using Maya; aren't Crytek making the switch now too? I guess if you can use one package well no one will care too much. But I think I might pick up Maya anyway, if I like it I might just completely switch. Seems like it's more useful for a game artist in a lot of ways.
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    I always liked max (I'm still on 2009) more but few days ago I downloaded maya 2014 trial and have to say it's growing on me pretty fast. With some customization and few small scripts workflow is really smooth.
    I might pull a trigger on it to be honest. Was going to upgrade max but I'm not so sure anymore.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    The artists on our team still use Max. At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters which you use. You will get some companies that use one, others that use another and some that allow either.

If your proficient with one, it won't take you long to learn the fundamentals of the other. Its only a tool :P.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic is a very Max heavy shop. The animators use Maya of course, and there are some artists who use Modo (I use it partially) ... but, yeah, mostly Max.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    I would heavily put on what Maya is becoming, is more Animation standard to the games industry. If you are an animator.
    I agree with this.
    I also started in Maya, modeling and switched to Max because at the time it was more widely adopted in the local studios and mod communities, it also had way better modeling tools. I landed a job doing environment work, using max and then started to transition to animation and I find myself wanting to switch back to Maya, but not for modeling. I still think Max has the Superior tool set for modeling even if the UI is a little disjointed, its not like Maya's UI is all that much better...

With the way Maya is structured (nodes) it makes rigging from scratch a whole lot easier, but max has pre-made rigs that shortcut all of that and with some scripting the rigging in max can be just as easy as in Maya but the viewport is most often slower, but max has started to close the gap and its mostly tolerable now if you get a decent video card and switch to nitrous.

It also seems to make max more stable (at the moment) and Maya seems to be quite a bit more buggy, but that's probably because max focused on stability for a few releases and has been blasted by user criticism that they aren't doing anything new. While Maya has been focusing on cramming new features and has stayed pretty buggy, maybe even gotten a bit worse. The Maya team will probably focus on stability soon and the Max team will add some new features and users will belly ache that max is leaving Maya in the dust... like they did when Max incorporated polyboost.

Oh woe to the republic... heh.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it probably depends heavily on the engine and the pipeline, too.

Engines that work with FBX/Alembic/etc become pretty agnostic to the 3D application used to generate them. So long as the 3D app can export files that contain the information the engine wants/needs, that is.
    Although, artists passing complex assets back and forth would likely need to have the same app
    e.g. it's likely that any animations would all be done in the one program across the board - but for standalone props or static items, it's not that big an issue.

Whereas studios whose engines use proprietary formats tend to stick to one app because it means less exporting tools to maintain. Especially if previous versions of the engine/tools have to be kept on as legacy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good point too,

There is the issue of application specific tools that sometimes get written.

Maintaining those across multiple 3D apps is a real nightmare, not just for the people writting two sets of tools but for the users also. People can use their package of choice for 95% of the work then switch to take advantage of the tools or to export but that's a pain and not always financially feasible for the studio, they have to maintain two seats of software where another artist only requires one.

Not to mention that studios get fairly significant discounts for buying licenses in bulk and maintaining one or two seats of software at full price can be a fairly significant burden. It might be the difference in buying the entire team some 3rd party specialty software or not.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Wesley wrote: »
    I've started to notice more and more companies using Maya; aren't Crytek making the switch now too? I guess if you can use one package well no one will care too much. But I think I might pick up Maya anyway, if I like it I might just completely switch. Seems like it's more useful for a game artist in a lot of ways.
    I think so yes. I saw this interview a while back. Go to ~1:30. Doesn't necessarily mean all their artists are using Maya, from what I understand they have the option to choose what modeling app they use.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm4aIHxkMek"]Meet Crytek's Christopher Evans - developing RYSE for the XBox One - YouTube[/ame]