Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-47 (First Gun)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
This is my 1st Firearm I've attempted to create.

yrmm.jpg

Reference Images: For these I've used a Real life Side image and a Image from CoD 4 since I really liked the AK-47 in that.

AK-47_Gold_CoD4.png

AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg

As it stands it 7,484 Tris. However I plan to add a silencer, Red dot Sight (or Other), Laser sight etc. Aiming for max of 10k Tris. most of the rest I should be able to do in the Normals.

Maya Snapshot (With Bullets): HFvdwMK.jpg

UV's: 7t2wNAk.jpg

3D Model: Have a real look
[SKETCHFAB]43cec10827714222839065add4de9f7d[/SKETCHFAB]

So at this Point its ready for Texturing. Any Critiques would be great!

Replies

• KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    I think the dustcover has a wrong shape. Its more rounded.
    ak47-dust-cover-01.jpg
    Also, the way the stock is mounted at the receiver is different.
    ak47_boxed_8.jpg
    Also it has no safety lever on the right side and the cocking lever is too small atm.
    You have some smoothing errors, too (the boxy thing at the right side for example)
    There are many missing details (bolts etc) at both sides, but i suppose you are baking them in the normalmap?
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thanks for the Input, I guess there's a few different ways they've been put together over the years, I will work on the proportions. But I will round out the dust cover. any of the flatter bolts I'll add to the normal map.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I've fixed up the dustcover shape, adjusted the cocking lever on the right side and I'm gonna start on the Safety lever now. I'll post an updated 3D View when its done.

Also think I might fix up the back where the stock is mounted at the receiver. should look better
  • Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Having just two pictures for reference is really not enough to make a decent model.
    Especially, taking an ingame model as reference is something I would never recommend – you can never be certain it’s in any way accurate. In this case, the ingame model you’ve chosen is a made-up AK – it has only very little in common with its real-world counterpart.
    Your second reference picture is what looks like an AK type 2 (but, it’s been altered).
    It had a quite distinctive receiver and buttstock attachment. Btw, the thing sticking out diagonally in front of the front sight is not part of the weapon - it’s part of the environment that’s been cut out (here's the original picture, btw: http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/TheColdTruth/AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg).

It’s a good start, especially if it’s your first weapon, but since you didn’t have enough reference, you’ve made a lot of mistakes when modeling the different parts.
    My suggestion is you to have a look at more reference pictures and fix the issues in your mesh, before continuing. Once you begin documenting yourself on the subject, I’m sure these errors will become obvious to you.

Here’s a very good start, it explains the specificities of the different AK versions and has quite detailed pictures of some parts. It also has blueprints of the different AK receivers :

http://browningmgs.com/T2T3/Kalashnikov.htm

Also, look for pictures on the internet of the AK from different angles (like the above pictures, posted by KnechtRuprecht). Try to look up individual parts also.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stoy79 Thanks for all the info, I will read through that link and make sure I get plenty of AK references like you suggested.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Great start.

I do believe your allocating polys to things that don't need as much as they have. For example the screws and the barrel. This could be spent on some of idk.... Lens flair....

Good work mate, catch ya later.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update! I've connected the stock, looks much better. Thanks for pointing that out @KnechtRuprecht Just need to make a safety lever for the right side.

Anymore critiques are most welcome. I've updated the Sketchfab 3D viewer & made quick render Image.

I5LWTB6.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]43cec10827714222839065add4de9f7d[/SKETCHFAB]
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    one thing to say, the dustcover is a bit thicker than the main reciever of the weapon, scale that outwards.

not sure what polycount you are aiming for so i wont comment on the polycount.

your front grip is weirdly smoothed, it looks a bit odd. the stock angle looks a bit too sharp downwards.

other than that, seems okay to me!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    woot wrote: »
    ...so i wont comment on the polycount...

You already did. www.polycount.com ;)
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    mantragora wrote: »
    You already did. www.polycount.com ;)

Damn you!

cheeky bugger, well played!
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @woot I'll scale it out today. As for the shading on the grip and stock I've striped edge loops and connected the edge that used that by making a triangle. You'll see this in the wireframe on scetchfab. This creates a slight shading issue but it won't be visible when its textured with normals and spec

Any other note would be great, O plan on doing more guns in the future so your opinion is really helpful.

Also with the polycount I mentioned it at the top, but its 7,400 roughly. Aiming for 10k with all the accessories. From what I've heard guns used I games sic as MW3 go over 10k per gun so I'm happy wit this figure. Unless anyone knows better?
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    i think tris wise, most stuff for cryengine 3 is about 20k tris with attatchments.

think source uses around 10k(?)
    unreal 3 is about 15k or something off the top of my head. but its looking good for 7.5k, keep it up!
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

Fixed most thing discussed above, Need to fix UV's on bits I've added but apart from that I think its looking ok. More critiques?

Otherwise I thing its ready for texturing.

okRWCPW.png

652ShzE.png
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Great job for a first go. Just noticing from your SF turnaround that the handle and trigger are not centered on the gun.
    Can't wait to see this textured!
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dimfist! Just checked the Trigger now and its centered in the updated model.

Will begin texturing this weekend Hopefully
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UV's all packed up for max detail :)
    FvrAh4v.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got round to doing some Textures today. There not looking great atm but there a good starting point.

gwxv8pR.png
    DBKyc4j.png
    SD3jyct.png
    bEBlMcN.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaannd....1 more

kMNWyUS.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its done for now. Gonna start making attachments for it. let me know what you guys think

http://cargocollective.com/artbycarlkent
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should try to keep your UVs more squared. A lot of your islands are just barely rotated. At higher resolutions it doesn't make too much of a difference, but its still good practice.

Keeping your UVs either at 90 degree angles or 45 degree angles makes texturing easier and also helps with aliasing while baking normals. Pixels look much nicer when they are lined up at 45 degree angles.
    uuVHcsA.jpg

Hope that makes sense!
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it absolutely does AtlusZMH. I will keep that in mind for future models, that's a good tip I probably overlooked :)
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished modeling attachments.

9l6nxnN.png

89Rg3la.png

AK-47 - 7,838
    Attachments - 2,716
    Total - 10,554 Tris

Bullet - 224
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All Textured & Cleaned up. I'll be adding scratch detail & signs of wear next.

yrmm.jpg