Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Theodoric's Assault Mech

Theodoric
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Theodoric polycounter lvl 10
Hey,

Just want to show my mech. I'm working on it in my freetime for a year now with big pauses. I decided to finish it finally... :)

For now I'm not very satisfied with the metal parts' shading... I have to figure out something. Any tip how to create nice metals in UDK? :)

It's rendered in UDK, using 2k Diffuse, 2k Normal, a 1k mix texture (spec,gloss,refl_mask) and 1816 tri.

assault_mech_LOWPOLY_WIP_04.jpg

Here is the highpoly what was used to bake:

assault_mech_WIP_07.jpg

Replies

• woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    that high poly has such awesome detail, crikey!

i think you might need a better lighting setup for the textured one. cant see much there.
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx!

Well, yes, I need to improve some of my skills... :)
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back of the highpoly... (Forgot to add to the first post)
    assault_mech_WIP_06.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    That's incredible! Nice work on the hipoly. What's the polycount on the first image? It looks like you'd probably be able to bump it up a bit and get some of the nicer details from the hi-poly mech.
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx!
    It's 1816 tri. For this I wanted to create as low as possible while still looks cool.
    When I started this my goal was a mobile ready asset, just for fun. Well I guess a higher poly count game asset would have been better idea... :)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Your highpoly really shows some nice details. It's a shame they don't translate so well onto you low. But the reason for this is not your low polycount on your LP mesh. The reason is that most of your edges an face-angles are not optimized to bake well. Your edges should be smoother and geometry details that will be exclusively represented in your normalmap need to at least slightly sloped faces.

As there is no chance to change this at the current state of the project , there are still other things you can do to make the surface detail pop out a little more.

1. I suggest you get rid of the pixel camo pattern and dirt effects. At the moment these things are making it even harder to see the surface detail.

2. Now you should focus on defining the base materials and treat the surface details in such a way that the the whole mech reads well from close and from a distance. I like to imagine this stage as if asset was just recently produced. So no damaged or worn off areas, no dirt.

3. Find a color-scheme. When your detaisl and different materials are in palce you can focus on decals and stripes and play with different colors. At the moment your mech is very monochrome. Which isn't a bad thing in general but in this case I think the readability can be improved by some color variation, be it by using different materials or colored-stripes / decals. If you want yome camouflage now is the time to think about it. Which pattern suits best, which colors look great? Keep in mind the purpose of camouflage is to mask forms and details and the overall shape versus the background. So basicly the exact opposite of what an awesome looking asset needs to achieve. Form my experience trying different camou-patterns really helps. Different patterns work well on different assets. E.g.: Geometric and straight details on your surface don't go well with geometric and straight camo-patterns. Try something organic with larger shapes or geometric but large shapes without straight lines. Tahts a lesson I learned from the missile tank I did a while back.

4. If everything looks fine a reads well you can now add dirt and scratches. But don't overdo it in your diffuse. Oftentimes subtle dirt and damage that is mostly visible in your spec map is better.

I hope this helps. Your highpoly really looks nice. I'm curious how this will turn out in the end.
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Slave_zero!

You're right, the higpoly originally didn't made for this lowpoly. The first lowpoly (under 1000 tri) was made for one of my friend's demoscene project which never finished. Then I decide to make a better lowpoly and make a mobile ready asset, just for fun, but the HPoly still not optimal for bake as you said.

Thanks for the tips... I have to take a deep breath before I redo things... again... :)
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a great holiday I work on this again.
    I made some changes on the textures and the material.

assault_mech_LOWPOLY_WIP_05.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is really nice! Did you work from a concept or come up with something yourself?

It looks solid but I think it lacks a sense of scale, some signs would really help the scale!

Also material definition could use some work this is in UDK right? Can I see your mat set up? Also flats!
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx!

I did collect lots of concept which inspire me, and combine the parts what I like. Also I came up with some parts and details.

I'll figure out some more sign to add, good idea.

And here is the current material: (nothing special so far, still learning this)

(in the mix texture: red: specular, green: glossyness, blue: reflection mask)

assault_mech_WIP_material_01.jpg
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More tweak on the metal parts...

assault_mech_LOWPOLY_WIP_06.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Thats cool! I would bump the spec power to somewhere between 90 and 120 to really get it shiny! Love that model though!

Also for presentation a black background is a big no no! Get like a medium gray with a gradient!
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is coming out really cool, the high poly has way to sharp of edges, I know it's late in the project but your normals don't read as well as I would hope. Still a wicked model though. Texture is also coming along, but I have to ask if the next screenshot you post, because I would like to see more progress on this, no black background. It kills your silhouette and washes out shadows and details within those shadows.

Nice work though!

-Stockwell
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx!
    Good point. No more excuse for me then, I have to setup the background in UDK... :)
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update.

More tweaks on the metal shader. Cube map replaced by a simple environment map. I made it very blurry so it's looks cool on the metal parts.
    So little changes in the end, looks like it doesn't even move...

assault_mech_LOWPOLY_WIP_07.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i think one of your issues is you diffuse is too strong and is reducing the work the light should and can do.

try changing all the painted panel areas to a flat colour (keep the outline of teh paint with scratches but no dirt build up etc)than applying painting the dirt back in more gently and with more reason (IE exposed cockpit and other areas would be pretty clean while feet will not be)

i think this could help wioth the readability of the object and lighting

a strong rim and coloured bounce might also help pick out more shapes
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx SHEPEIRO, will try those. About the rim light: by placing lights or by material which always visible?
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update again...
    Clean the diffuse texture little. The normal map was multiplied with 1,1,0.7 so it's little stronger now. Some tweak in the material too, but nothing big step.

I guess it's need a proper lighting, so I'll dig up some tutorial first for the technical stuff. It's Interpactor now, and don't know how to make a simple rim light without material tweak... In the case of static meshes the problem the same actually...
    assault_mech_LOWPOLY_WIP_08.jpg
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around the diorama idea.
    Something like this will be the final scene with the destroyed futuristic tank in the desert.
    (XSI screenshots only for now)

assault_mech_LOWPOLY_WIP_09.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    good golly that high poly! amazing!
    Did you sculpt an of that or is that pure poly modeling?
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx! The highpoly is pure poly modelling.
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost forgot this guy. I decided to polish it a little and create a turntable video:

Turntable
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Wow. That high poly looks fantastic. Especially animated in the turntable. In seeing the normal map it looks like you are really losing lots of detail. Like Stockwell mentioned you have lots of sharp angles that aren't translating to the normal bake. You high poly is so strong that I hate to see those details disappear. Maybe getting a cavity map or really tight occlusion multiplied could help sell some of that paneling.
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Great! But a lot of the shape gets lost in the texture - the high poly looks awesome. Throw some splotches of color, warning labels, etc. The other thing I'm not getting from the texture is a sense of scale - hand grips, the aforementioned labels, any sort of fueling ports, etc, all would serve to give this thing some sort of relateable size. :)
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys. Yeah, the highpoly is not made for baking normal maps. Originally I just wanted to create a badass mech and later a friend of mine asked for a very lowpoly version with normal map. Unfortunately those panels and details aren't made with good bevels... Maybe the next one. ;)
  • Theodoric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

With an animator friend we finished the mech and now it's in the asset store if somebody interested:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25929