Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post Apocalyptic Assets

Hi guys. This is my portfolio I have been working on the last few months. I was wondering if I could get a couple pointers and critiques of my work. The theme I am aiming for is a Post Apocalyptic style and my main focus is on the assets.

hcq6.jpg
w7hu.jpg
1gdu.jpg
i4b3.jpg
szcq.jpg

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    If your making game ready assets you need to cut the polygon count by a lot...id advise you to get unreal or crysis engine and look at the polycount of the assets there...that chainsaw should maybe be 1000 polys....also it looks like you are using box mapping which is not advised because it doesnt allow you be direct with your painting...you need to get a uv map on there by unwrapping the models....

also chains and stuff like that are usually done with planes and alphas..
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    not sure what modeling application you use...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hr_K3Xlw4U"]3DS Max Asset Creation Series - 13 Unwrapping and Texturing - YouTube[/ame]

just a unwrapping link I found for max
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think you need to take a couple steps back to really build your fundamentals up before trying to make environments and a portfolio. Learning highpoly modeling to lowpoly game res with normal maps, and proper texturing techniques so you are not just pasting photos onto areas should be the first things to work on.

3D Motive and Eat 3D have a bunch of awesome tutorials that are worth every penny.

Hope this helps.
  • Hydro707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 wrote: »
    If your making game ready assets you need to cut the polygon count by a lot...id advise you to get unreal or crysis engine and look at the polycount of the assets there...that chainsaw should maybe be 1000 polys....also it looks like you are using box mapping which is not advised because it doesnt allow you be direct with your painting...you need to get a uv map on there by unwrapping the models....

also chains and stuff like that are usually done with planes and alphas..

I am currently using Autodesk Maya 2013 for my modeling program. Also I have been using the RoadKill Plugin to unwrap my UVs and you suggested that I use a displacement map or Alpha Map for my chains, blades on the chainsaw, and perhaps my spokes on the bike?
  • Freyven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! I really like the details that you have for each of the models, they look great. The screenshot with the garage and the props is falling flat due to the lack of lighting and focal point. Maybe add a spot light or point light to put more focus on the models that you want to showcase so that the objects in the background can feel that they are fading in the back.

Another thing, the texture on the chainsaw's handle seems a bit too clean. Maybe dirty it up more and it'll look better as well.
  • mercy0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The grunge on your textures look a bit overdone, I'd suggest perhaps toning it down some. I'd also work on the lighting some, I don't see any ambient occlusion in your render.
  • Solmas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solmas polycounter lvl 4
    BARDLER wrote: »
    I think you need to take a couple steps back to really build your fundamentals up before trying to make environments and a portfolio. Learning highpoly modeling to lowpoly game res with normal maps, and proper texturing techniques so you are not just pasting photos onto areas should be the first things to work on.

3D Motive and Eat 3D have a bunch of awesome tutorials that are worth every penny.

Hope this helps.

I agree -- you should see about dropping the environment idea and just focus on the assets. For individual assets like that I would first optimize the poly count if you're going for game ready; if you want to show modeling skill and don't mind the high poly you should drop the textures completely. If you're wanting to show texture then look into what Bardler is talking about and sculpt your individual assets, extract a normal map, and build your diffuse, spec, and other textures from that. Digital Tutors and Gnomon Workshop have some tutorials available if you're looking for other resources as well.
  • Elend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cracks in the wood of the shotgun don’t look completely natural. If you could make the cracks thinner and less wavy then really define the edge of it that would help. Also, some of the cracks on the chainsaw look like they are big enough that you should be able to see inside. If that’s the case you could possibly show some detail or color change from whatever components are inside.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The teeth of the chainsaw should also be done with an alpha mask. Of course, once the saw is running the teeth will become an invisible blur anyway.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Dat polycount !!!!
  • suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suspectlogic polycounter lvl 13
    the blade on your chainsaw is insanely rusty, while the chassis has areas that are completely clean, with spots of grunge thrown on haphazardly. the grunge detail is also inconsistent, in some areas it look like water damage and other areas look like it was damaged in a fire. I think you could improve it by reducing grunge over the whole thing. maybe all you need is a reduction of contrast, but i think using grunge as an accent rather than a base might work. it's already been said that the chain doesn't need that many polys. I agree , and i think you could spend those extra polys on rounding out the hard edges you have on the handle and the base.