Home General Discussion

Character Artist Cover Letter: Need help

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hi Polycount:

I'm writing up a draft of 2 Cover Letters for two separate game teams at a large development studio, both Character Artist positions. Part of my confidence going into this is that someone from said company, who I met originally at SIGGRAPH this year, told me to apply now even though I was still in my 4th year in Uni. The positions are also asking for the usual "you need 3+ years of experience of professional development experience," etc, but I think trying shouldn't hurt.

I'll post up the name of the specific company and the draft later if that's okay (in terms of etiquette. For example, I'm still confused about why it's bad to talk freely about salaries, etc.) but my main question:

Besides passions for company/game(s) that company is working on and speaking directly to the points made in the job post, what else would you, as an employer, look for in a Cover Letter for a Character Artist position.

If it helps:

My Portfolio

My Resume

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Here's what I look for:
    Something that gives a story to the bullet points in your resume. Got a personal project that's relevant to what my company does? mention it! (I will bring it up int he interview).

You have a special interest - e.g. Unreal, rigging, etc. - and a small story how this is really awesome for your workflow and how you imagine that you can use it at the job? (mention it!)

You really want to spark interest into something int he cover letter so I will look at it and say "interesting, I want to hear more about that!" ...and then I tell HR to invite you so you can tell me ;)

If you come across as the more interesting and motivated (*) person in the cover letter than the other guy with the similar folio then you have an advantage. (*) Personally I find people motivated who LOVE to talk about what THEY do - not the people who suck up to me or my company in the cover letter (because I don't need you to tell me that my company is awesome, I can tell that myself ;) ) I think many people confuse this when they hear the advice "tailor your resume/folio/cover letter to the company". I want to hear how your specific skills exactly fit my company. Not how good we are - okay yeah it's nice to hear that too, but keep it short if you have to.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I used a template as a base that was personalized for each studio, when I was out of work I had roughly 14 hours a day to look for a job. If you're working you have about 6, that's not too shabby.

I'm just speaking from my own experience - I don't carpet bomb when looking for work, I apply at studios I'd honestly want to work at, so when the interview comes I don't have to fake being interested or enthusiastic about it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Do they have a job advert at all? Tailor your covering letter to that.

Come across as enthusiastic, but not desperate.

http://www.rsart.co.uk/2011/07/31/what-new-artists-need-in-a-c-v-and-portfolio/
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I guess I should say right now, the specific company is Blizzard Entertainment. Was able to be learn from the family for 3 months in QA, would like to come back if they'd let me in to work on WoW or Starcraft.

Ever since Starcraft Brood War in Third Grade, their universes have colored my perceptions of both fantasy and sci-fi world construction.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Good point.

Something that is, I feel, regrettable from the applicant's point of view is that every company would love for you to craft a wonderful cover letter that's been customized specifically for them. They don't want to get the impression that you're using a template. Makes perfect sense from their perspective. But the reality is that when people are looking for work, they apply at a lot of different places. Not five...more like thirty. Carpet bombing the industry with your resume may sound distasteful, but when you need work the natural reaction is to cast as wide a net as possible. Writing thirty lovingly customized cover letters and sounding authentic and singularly interested in that ONE company in every single one of them is a tall order. I get that, in theory, it's probably better to focus your effort on the places you REALLY want to work instead of carpet bombing. But what happens if none of those pan out? What happens if you miss an opportunity you didn't even know you wanted because you didn't turn over enough rocks? It can really feel like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario when you're looking for work.

yup. That's a good point. My tip is, when you don't know much about the company (and they know too that they're not popular like Blizz), then sucking up will just look as fake as it usually is. Instead talk about yourself, your motivation, your interests, or your workflow. Basically you want to make them interested into something you do that would work with their general production.

e.g. got programming skills? Maybe it taught you to be focused and organized. Maybe you somehow managed to translate this into your 3D workflow which sets your technical quality and speed apart from others - this is something they cannot see just from your folio, or your bullet point resume.

e.g. you love Unreal. Talk about your modding experiments or the team you worked with in Uni. Quickly line out your biggest challenge, how you overcame it, what you learned. It gives me an actual example of how you work in a team and which challenges you faces (much better than putting a "team player" bullet point on your resume).

Such examples raise interest, yet they are mainly about you and not a specific company and you can re-use them in other cover-letters.

Just keep it short and sweet so I'll come back and think "cool, the guy worked in a team already, I want to hear more" or "the guy also knows some programming plus he claims to be very organized, let's hear more". You don't want to tell the full story or present a wall of text - the full story and details are for the interview.
    Or if you I feel that "wow, the guy is really into whatever he does - he's the Unity nerd we're looking for!" then I'll invite you and I don't care if you don't talk about my company in specific.

note: all given your folio is on par with other people's folio. However if your folio is weaker but you got some extra skills which can make up for it - e.g. you're a kickass Unreal expert from whom our entire team can benefit - then this is the place to pimp it!
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Wow really good post Dustin.
    I always felt that way, never did figure out exactly the right way to deal with that.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So you recruitment folks do actually read cover letters? They've always kinda struck me as being rather archaic and redundant in our industry. When portfolios get criticised for wasting valuable time having unnecessary clicks to get to the art, I'm genuinely surprised that the cover letter warrants any more attention than it takes to scroll to the portfolio link.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    maybe I'm old fashioned? Or maybe because my team doesn't work after the "here's your work. shut up and finish it and don't bother me until it's done" method.

Especially for seniors, who will mentor juniors, who will supervise juniors to a small degree, and who may be potential candidates for leadership, I want to make sure they also have the necessary people skills and enthusiasm.

Also it's because I want to have the best people in ever respect. If I have two folios of the same people I will hire the one who has more additional benefit. And beside the cover letter there's not too much else that gives me a look at these extras, except the interview. But why wait until the interview (where I have to fly in people on my expense? or spend an hour of my time calling them?). The earlier I can narrow down the field, the more efficient and cheaper for me as employer.

But yes, the cover letter is not what I read first. I look at the folio first. The cover letter is one of the tipping points that can sway the decision one way or the other when deciding whom to call or fly in. (plus cover letter means to me: I go the extra mile!)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's a fair enough point. I was just kinda hoping the general consensus would be "Pshaww, Cover letter? Why would you bother?" so I could cut half an hour from each of the numerous job applications I'm inevitably going to be making soon.