Home General Discussion

Buying a nice rig for 3d modeling and game engines

Paulky45
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Paulky45 polycounter lvl 7
Hey all. I'm currently looking into getting a PC for 3D modeling (3DS Max & Mudbox), game engines (Unity mainly, though I might start looking into a few others if I had the system for it) and maybe a few games. For games I mostly use Xbox, so I don't mind dropping down the settings a bit, but I don't want to be ripped off either. But 3D modeling and work will be its main use.

I've a macbook pro at the moment and bootcamp, but things are getting a bit awkward with only the 15inch screen, plus going in and out of bootcamp for Windows is a pain. Plus I use the laptop for a lot of stuff these days, and I'm worried it's under a bit too much strain. Would love an iMac, but doesn't seem that suited for 3DS Max, plus the price is a bit much.

Anyway, what kind of recommendations would people advise for setting up something like this? I'm assuming ram, graphics card and maybe an SSD would be top, but anything else? I'm pretty technically minded when it comes to some of this stuff, but when it comes to things like branded motherboards, I don't know if I'm wasting money or not. And with power supplies and fans I'm lost; been looking through some gamer forums on the issue and most of the 'advice' on the issue is just wildly fluctuating, dick swinging.

Considering this Chillblast Fusion Orb at the moment: http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Orb.html

With maybe swapping the graphics card for a better Nvidia one. I'd rather get a full prebuilt one like this, I need the monitor and peripherals, and shipping everything over to Ireland is a pain enough as it is without bring individual components into it. This one is about at or under my budget (plus shipping and converting to Euros I'm looking to spend about €1000 to €1100. Cheaper preferably.)

Any advice, no matter how broad or detailed is welcomed, thanks.

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    CPU, Ram and SSD are key. Video card is not as important but i would recommend a nvidia card so you can use CUDA.

Processor - It comes down to budget, and how to maximize it. For example CPU the i5 has better gaming performance and will save 100 bucks but the i7 has better rendering ability. So you gotta decide if its worth the 100 bucks for you, you talking about saving a few seconds/minutes nothing mind blowing. The current socket type is 1150 but you can save some money by going 1155. You only get maybe a 10% increase in speed by going 1150 maybe. SO again its a place you can save money. I have an i5 and its great for the 100 bucks id rather save since your budget it like mine and i opted for better overall parts then saving a few seconds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504 - i5 at 219

the I7 is about 320

Mother Board - Top brands are Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA. Cant really go wrong, price and features is key here. Most boards have alot of crap you wont need like SLI or 10000x usb ports so take a look around and see what you liek for features and budget
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837 - 139

Memory- G.Skill is my favorite bought so many and never had 1 fail yet .. knock on wood. I reccomend 8GB, for the price difference from 8 to 16 you wont see a big difference. I could go into the difference between memory , speed an latency but again unless you are overclock or hardcore gaming you wont notice

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 - 66

Video Card - Pure choice, EVGA is my brand of choice for the lifetime warrenty and i have had great luck with the cards. The more money you dump here the better frame rate you will get in games IT WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE IN MODELING
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130826 - 224
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130827 - 119
    650 or 660

SSD - samsung is pretty much the top dog now, i just bought an 840 pro 256 GB and love it. The size is up too you but i wouldnt go lower then 256, there is a difference between the 840 Pro series and 840 its about the technology in it and longevity.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193 - 230

ah good call brandon, i totally skipped over PSU. Like Brandon was saying brands like Thermal Take, Antec, Coolmaster, Rosewell are big players. For wattage aroun 500-750 is safe for the build above, the more devices you use the more watts you will need. Make sure you also look at the +12v rail, as that rail drives the video card. So whatever power the specs say for the card you choose, make sure the psu can proeduce adequate 12v power
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 -70

Hope this helps - 869 total and get a nice monitor that will bring you close to 1000
  • el3bgames
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I'd like to add one more suggestion on top of skyline5gtr's already solid advice. Don't forget to budget for a decent power supply. At first glance, it may seem easy to justify skimping out on this part and just going for the cheapest PSU that you can find. I made that mistake when I built my first system and suffered through boot errors and random system restarts for over a year before I figured out what the issue was.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah good call brandon, i totally skipped over PSU. Like Brandon was saying brands like Thermal Take, Antec, Coolmaster, Rosewell are big players. For wattage aroun 500-750 is safe for the build above, the more devices you use the more watts you will need. Make sure you also look at the +12v rail, as that rail drives the video card. So whatever power the specs say for the card you choose, make sure the psu can proeduce adequate 12v power
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 -70
  • Paulky45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, all looks like really solid advice. What about overclocking? I've seen a few places selling overclocked processors (like the same 3.4GHz processor you linked to above, Skyline, overclocked to 4.0GHz for an extra £20, around $30). I take it that if I get an overclocked one, I'll might need to improve the fans and power. Is it worth the extra cost and hassle?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no you can do it yourself for free, all overclocking is is changing a setting in bios . Im also confused you cannot overclocked a cpu by itself its tied to the board unless they changed it at the cpu level which im not a fan of. 3.4 to 4ghz is a good jump but i would do it yourself
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    irst of all, not all CPUs are capable of overclocking. Many have fixed or range-limited multipliers. This is intended by the industry, hardware vendors are happy to sell CPUs and peripheral hardware with more freedom for higher prices. Real 'overclockers' seem to pay anything as long as it enables them to double the factory defaults ...

Secondly it's a cooling and efficiency problem. Energy consumption and frequency don't scale linearly, nor does the actual performance (especially considering that, with faster CPUs, other system components quickly become bottlenecks ...).

With overclocked CPUs, there is also a strong variance in durability and lifetime even within a manufacturing series. The frequency at which they're sold is a frequency at which all units of a series are known to work stable, regardless of possible differences in detail. One CPU of a series may fail quickly as you overclock it while another may work stable up to 4+ Ghz.
  • Paulky45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a million, Skyline, you've been a great help. I'll let ye know what I go for in the end if I go with it (still watching the funds).

If anyone else has any other advice, feel free to past it on, I'll keep an eye on this thread.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you bet, i love this stuff. PM me if you need any help
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    General advice about video cards, it's better to upgrade that every few years instead of buying the most expensive one right now. Get a $200 card now, and then another $200 card in 3 or so years when there's newer features along with better performance (stuff like dx11, unified memory, stacked DRAM). You can't really do this cpus because sockets are always changing, and cpu features don't change as much.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great advice zacd. He is right every 2 year is when the newer chip set for the cards come out. They usually run with the same chip fora few years and just tweak it and change model number
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you're forgetting probably one of the most under appreciated parts of any setup - your monitor. the monitor will have a far greater impact on your work than you might realise. if you can, step down a bit on the graphics card, and spend the extra on a good monitor.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyeyes wrote: »
    If you've got the money, I would go TITAN.

http://www.nvidia.com/titan-graphics-card

Titan is overkill in my opinion. I have an overclocked 670 and it runs everything 60fps. I could have probably gone lower honestly.
  • Paulky45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    General advice about video cards, it's better to upgrade that every few years instead of buying the most expensive one right now. Get a $200 card now, and then another $200 card in 3 or so years when there's newer features along with better performance (stuff like dx11, unified memory, stacked DRAM). You can't really do this cpus because sockets are always changing, and cpu features don't change as much.

Sounds like good advice, thanks. I don't have a massive amount to spend overall, so if I can save some money on the graphics card then great, and Skyline said it's not a major factor for 3d Modelling. As along as it can run well enough for some game engines, I should be fine. Unity is already running well on my Macbook Pro, and this PC should be good step up from that. Any other game engines I use will be mainly for trying out their environment tools I think. I might be playing some games, but I'm a big fan of older style games, so have no problem knocking down the detail settings if I need to. Plus there's always the XBox.
    To be honest, the main game I'll be playing will probably be Skyrim, and that'll be because I want to play around with modding it more than actually playing it (already played it to death on Xbox).

Monitor wise, what do I need to keep an eye out for? I'm looking for something around the 21 - 23 inch range (anything bigger just won't be practical for me). I've been a mac laptop user for years so never had to worry about anything other than physical size.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You'll probably want an IPS monitor, the cheaper ones are around $300, http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=dhs&sku=320-2807 but sometimes they go on sale.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    You'll probably want an IPS monitor, the cheaper ones are around $300, http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=dhs&sku=320-2807 but sometimes they go on sale.

Do these instead you will thank me! The ultrasharp series for dell and 24" also cheaper.. The best part it is 16:10 so you get extra real estate wich really helps in max and photoshop.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2412-24-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B005JN9310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377910036&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+ultrasharp+u2412m"]Amazon.com: Dell UltraSharp U2412 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories[/ame]
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do these instead you will thank me! The ultrasharp series for dell and 24" also cheaper.. The best part it is 16:10 so you get extra real estate wich really helps in max and photoshop.

Amazon.com: Dell UltraSharp U2412 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories

I can back that up, I'm using the same monitor currently. Very happy with it, though I can't compare to much, as I've never used anything "better" so to say.
  • Paulky45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just bought one there now. A lot of hassle to put down all the details, but bought it from chillblast in the end, and customised a model that I saw good reviews for. Went with the processeor and motherboard that skyline recommended, 16gb of corsair ram, and a GeForce GTX 660 2048MB Graphics Card ( bit more than I was planning to spend but the options weren't great and didn't want to be hunting around the internet too much because of shipping costs).

I skimped a bit on the monitor because I was already over budget, but I'm pretty happy with it. Plus if it gets too annoying, I can buy another if I come into a bit of money and use both. Anyway, it'll be an improvement on 15inch laptop no matter what.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Really helped.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you bet good luck
  • kobyupedley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this mainly depends on your budget, but be sure to get Nvidia for your video card so everything will go well.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    there should be a hardware subforum or a sticky with the common hardware for a good rig for 3D. I have repeated myself several times.

Why don't you guys use the search function?
  • Paulky45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a few searches around the forums before I started the thread because I know rehashing old advice is annoying (and it can be almost as annoying googling forums and finding the same questions over and over too). But I didn't come across anything that really applied, in a general advice way. A lot was either individual threads about specific hardware products, or budget related. Though it could just be the search terms I tried.

I agree on having a sticky or forum though, I think that would be a good idea, I wasn't sure where was best to even post this thread, but decided technical talk seemed to more 3D technique and software based. Though that could just a forum newbie problem.

But yeah, there's a lot of different variables involved in buying this kind of stuff (different parts, budgets, etc) that a good forum or general wiki item/sticky post could be really handy for people.
  • jake_tent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're forgetting probably one of the most under appreciated parts of any setup - your monitor. the monitor will have a far greater impact on your work than you might realise. if you can, step down a bit on the graphics card, and spend the extra on a good monitor.
    A powerful video and a reliable storage are much more important I think in this case :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    jake_tent wrote: »
    A powerful video and a reliable storage are much more important I think in this case :)

for creating assets i think monitor is more important, since kinda hard to paint textures if your got a cheap moniter with very inaccurate colours.

edit i find my rig to be pretty good this is what i built last year, and works perfect for all work i do.

i7-3770k @ 3.5ghz
    16gb ram (G.Skill)
    nvidia gtx 660ti 2gb
    ASUS P8Z77-V mobo

works great for my, and i make pretty heavy use of zbrush, maya, udk, PS and xnormal, also plays pretty much everygame it tossed at it at high.

when i built it a little over a year ago it cost me just a little over $1000CAD.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    jake_tent wrote: »

no.