Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

indie Puzzle game Kickstarter page review

Hi guys and girls,

This is a Link to our Kickstarter non live page. We decide to give the dev community a first look. Feel free to review and leave us feed back. We have a newer pitch video which i will also post a link to. We hope to launch the Kickstarter page early this week!

thank you

Kickstarter non live page link
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/327286485/550427733?token=2ab0f38a

new Video
http://vimeo.com/72455429
password: chacotaco

feel free to follow us on twitter and facebook

https://twitter.com/ProjectMonolith

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectMonolith

Replies

• DWalker
    I'm not a big fan of the stark, monochromatic look. I know it's been successful for a few indie games out there, but I believe those were all side-scrolling games where the background was brightly lit. I feel that even basic navigation might be difficult in this environment, and details are non-existent.

I thought at first that you were just starting in silhouette and would add color as the game progressed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You don't mention a platform; from the discussion about UDK, I'd assume PC, but tablets are always possible.

I'm also not clear about how the puzzle elements will work. Most games like Msyt relied upon the old find-the-foozle quests, which would seem difficult with black-on-black objects. Perhaps future videos could talk about actual gameplay and puzzle types (without giving away too much, of course).

You might want to add some sense of life to the world by having simple creatures in the background; birds flying through the sky, half-seen critters disappearing into the undergrowth.

By the way, there are two games-related companies called Monolith - a Japanese company responsible for Xenosaga, and a US company that should be best remembered for No One Lives Forever (yes, I know they've made stuff since, but how can you top an exploding robot kitty?) You might have trademark issues with the name.
  • Illusive
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    Why are you using UDK to make a game in THIS style? i'm not a huge fan of the style tbh but I don't know why you'd need an engine like UDK, couldn't you get the same look in a lot of much MUCH cheaper engines?
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I also think color would suite this game better, since the shapes you have are really really nice, but there's simply to much going on...

I think the game is hard to read... puzzle games should be readable, think of zelda games... You get crazy whenever you need to run around to long inside those temple to figure out how to move on. But most of the time you simply know what you have to do next.

Beside that I think the kickstarter page could use work, I would do some graphics with the $$'s and then a detailed disciption of what you get.
    All in all you maybe should let it look more "pro", this will help people to put trust into the team and project.
  • chrisCPO
    Hi guys thank your for the response and critique.

To answer some of your questions and comments...

We will be releasing on steam, with a hopefully successful greenlight campaign. We will make that more clear on the kickstarter page. As well as Puzzle interaction which the player will use levers switches and Holo interfaces. Our first update video will be demonstrating one of our puzzles as well as providing some of our future goals in puzzle design. We would love to incorporate some physic based puzzles as well as other ideas.

As for navigating our game, it does look hard to know where a player is going in the video but once your playing the game, all I can really say is its not. As long as we keep the player out of super tight spaces, unreal scale 128 or less hallway its actually relatively easy to navigate around in.

The jungle could use some life.

Monolith is just the name of the game, not our company.

UDK is an amazing engine,the finical cost is a mere 100 dollars. They do take 25% of your profit after Steam would get its cut, once you make over 50,000. Its very flexible easy to work with, tons of tutorials, great LOD system, Prebuilt code, Visual scripting system (kesmet), and tons of other great features. I would say why would you not use UDK?

Thanks for the great response if you guys have any more questions feel free to ask.
    Chris
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I liked what I saw early on, but after noticing no new media for this project in almost a year it came across as a red flag. Might be worth some fresh content.