Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Carl Winslow. I'm serious.

tOCy1Yo.png
Carl Winslow is the father character in the TV show "Family Matters." I have no idea why I decided to make a 3d model of his head. I am toying around with the idea of putting him into Left 4 Dead 2. Maybe do Urkel as well.

I haven't modeled much in a long time. Any feedback would be appreciated.
[SKETCHFAB]28d7e46d1d294a96b7f285fb6eb3ea6b[/SKETCHFAB]

Thanks!

Replies

• s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Is this going to be subdivided, Or sent to zbrush for sculpting? If so, You'll certainly want to work out the topology. If you do plan on subdivision, or sculpting, or any smoothing, You will want all quads as evenly distributed as possible.

Even if this is going to be strictly low poly, I would even out the geometry, and find a somewhat uniform density. then add more detail where needed, Like the eyes, mouth, and nose.

The proportions look decent though, and there is an early likeness being made :) His ears are very low though, Look at the image on the right and compare the height of the models, and the reference.
  • RobotRumpShaker
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I fixed the ears pretty easily enough. I need to work on the model's topology. I haven't done any 3d work since the days of Quake 3, and am not even sure what Zbrush is. Thanks again for the input. I'll look up some tutorials and fix this up some more.
  • RobotRumpShaker
    [SKETCHFAB]c81e15d52a2a41cab1877dc6d084d122[/SKETCHFAB]
    I ended up redoing a lot of the head. I think I intentionally used 2 triangles. Everything else is made up of quads, and I think its getting there.

*EDIT*

One more
    [SKETCHFAB]f15e4c0148c74020ad00c534db8e49bb[/SKETCHFAB]
  • RobotRumpShaker
    [SKETCHFAB]6b3c444741134d17b6b62f33f9fe1b7e[/SKETCHFAB]
    XMeyw08.png

I have to figure out what to do from here. There are always vertices that I can move into place. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • RobotRumpShaker
    Fixed some areas and added more detail to the lips, eyes and ears. I'm going to start texturing soon.
    [SKETCHFAB]31cf32e931724213ab2594f835319557[/SKETCHFAB]
  • CharlieD
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome back to the world of 3D. I recommend looking up workflows for creating characters/busts in Zbrush. Working in zbrush, you can just sculpt out your character/bust, then use the zbrush tools to create a low poly from your high poly sculpt. Characters seem much easier to handle now with zbrush.
  • RobotRumpShaker
    Thanks Charlie! I'll definitely look into it. The last time I made anything was back in the days of Quake 3.

Also, I put a picture of Carl Winslow on the head just for kicks (with some minor ghetto editing). It made me laugh.[SKETCHFAB]939005b0c3d044918a13f3fe0cb2a6dd[/SKETCHFAB]
  • achillesian
    I am toying around with the idea of putting him into Left 4 Dead 2. Maybe do Urkel as well.

make a kickstarter now
  • jksl
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    he is kinda scary...
  • RobotRumpShaker
    Last update: Roughing out the texture.
    [SKETCHFAB]a47c062647f047f3b71de147227c83c5[/SKETCHFAB]
  • RobotRumpShaker
    He's coming along! I reached the extent of my 3d modeling/texture knowledge a looong time ago, and have been reading a lot of tutorials along the way. As usual, feedback appreciated ect.

[SKETCHFAB]93348ba9f8ac475c8b621893013925c0[/SKETCHFAB]
    fd8yVuj.png
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    He needs nostrils on his nose.... :poly124:
  • RobotRumpShaker
    Sir Apple wrote: »
    He needs nostrils on his nose.... :poly124:

I forgot to mention that this is a work in progress. :poly122:
    [SKETCHFAB]14e40981a54947759ba08fdc53ae518b[/SKETCHFAB]
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Thanks Charlie! I'll definitely look into it. The last time I made anything was back in the days of Quake 3.

Also, I put a picture of Carl Winslow on the head just for kicks (with some minor ghetto editing). It made me laugh.[SKETCHFAB]939005b0c3d044918a13f3fe0cb2a6dd[/SKETCHFAB]

this genuinely terrified me....
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    this genuinely terrified me....

lmao
  • Arthus
    i laugh so hard !! :D sorry :D
  • RobotRumpShaker
    [SKETCHFAB]b93b32f04b8f4af58196b2c56124ec41[/SKETCHFAB]
    I still have A LOT to tweak on the upper body and hands. Figured I would drop it off anyway.

I think I'm going to finish the overall mesh before I texture stuff again. I know there is plenty to fix on the face.

Glad I could make you guys laugh. Somebody needs to do 4 Full House survivors.
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Somebody needs to do 4 Full House survivors.
    Too right, haha. I might join this mission.
  • RobotRumpShaker
    KristaW wrote: »
    Too right, haha. I might join this mission.

I am more than down to collaborate. I want to do Carl and Urkel, but maybe we could do Eddie and Waldo Horaldo Faldo (or Judy Winslow, the youngest Winslow daughter that went upstairs and never came back down).

In other news, the next polycount modeling contest should involve television.

And now for an update:
    [SKETCHFAB]dd889b44f1c546e2be681480640fb316[/SKETCHFAB]
    Here is the low-poly body. I feel like I am definitely missing something in regards to the proportions. It is close, but not quite there. Suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Lol nice. Makes me want some Twinkies Die Hard style :D

More seriously, his legs are almost chopped in half right now. His whole body is too stubby if you're going for more realistic proportions. Average people are around 7 and a half heads tall /8 for more general idealization. He's about 5/6ish right now.

I probably wouldn't go too tall in order to maintain his sense of weight, but he definitely needs some more height in those legs.
  • RobotRumpShaker
    Thanks for the input Deathstick. Based on my references, he is 6 heads tall. My previous update was 5.5 (good eye!)

Here is the beginning of the high poly version. I'm not sure what details to add to the mesh itself. I'm starting to think I should have modeled him in all of his cop gear.

Whatever. Here you go![SKETCHFAB]22e996540ea7420d80883482a802a0db[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    This is awesome, I hope it gets in to the PC Recap!
  • RobotRumpShaker
    So this is going to sound a bit ridiculous: Was I supposed to UV map the model when it was low poly, then quad it/adjust errors? I am definitely struggling to UV map everything with all these vertices in 3DSMax 2010.

I'm going to give him black pants, as well as his hat from when he was a captain on the force. I should also give him a handkerchief full of Eddie Winslow's tears. I have been rewatching the series in an attempt to motivate myself to keep working on this thing, and every episode in the first season is about Carl pushing his son until they have to have a touching father-son moment.