Home Technical Talk

T-vertex question

So, googling t-vertex says " avoid them" and after reading some of the material available i still do not understand how i can avoid them in some situations such as the picture below. I'm making some very low poly models for a mobile game i'm fooling around with and one of the objects is a basic window (the picture).

view.php?pic=105d2m0&s=5
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=105d2m0&s=5

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not a t-vert, really.

In general, it tends to refer to things where a vert bisects a straight (or very nearly straight) edge.

Meshes like this where the edge isn't connected to the larger polygon are also considered t-verts.
    ____
    | |_|
    |_|_|

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    This is not a t-vertex. This is a totally normal and decent vertex.Never heard of term t-vertex until very recently but anyway, this are t-vertex
    ccs-8549-0-34579700-1312300853.gif

which means vertex facing directly an edge therefore not connected. This could create some shading/seams issues because lighting wont be interpolated the same way between 2 and 3 vertices.

There wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-vertices
  • Signovinces
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come 3ds max is telling me it's a t-vertex? Just bad coding?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ok ran a test on a box and max says i have 8 t-vertices ! lol !

From max help : T-Vertices Flags vertices that lie at the intersection of three edges or faces. Applies to poly objects only.

So unless everything is triangulated, it will prompt t-vertices, which is BS, tbh. Sorry i don't use xview, didn't know it has such a wrong behavior.

You'd better check unwanted open edges to fix T-verts, but i'm pretty sure your mesh is clean.
  • Signovinces
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have lots of open edges but those are edges where i have removed polygons that aren't visible such as behind a cabinet etc but in this particular mesh the edges where the supposed t-vertex is is very much "closed" but thanks for helping me out.