Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpted Tileable Textures

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
So I've started a personal project of sculpted, Naughty Dog type, tileable textures. The goal for the moment is to get a stronger handle on environment texture sculpting and realistic material definition while building up a texture library. After I've got a few more that fit together I'll probably start building modular scenes using them to further showcase their usage and, hopefully, land a job at some point here.

So far I've got a brick wall (that definitely needs some tiling clean-up and some color variation) and a wooden plank texture (also needs some tiling clean-up). Next up is wood shingles, and then I'll be brainstorming new materials to try and getting into some less cheating sculpting (ie environment textures with no definite break, bricks planks etc, to hide/reinforce tiling seams)

Maps are 2048x2048 rendered on a smoothed cube and a flat plane in Marmoset using Diffuse, Spec, Normal, Height, and Gloss, paralax is turned on though only slightly.

Stone_And_Planks_zps76e94b4a.jpg
Bricks_Textures_zpscae7b466.jpg

Planks_Textures_zpsb8a65e25.jpg
Thick_Bricks_Sculpt_Shot_zps1844728e.jpg

Crits and comments very welcome, as well as suggestions for new materials/subjects. I'm also happy to explain the process to those unfamiliar with it (though there's plenty of tutorials online and specifically a few in Ryan Hawkins' Vertex vol. 1)

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Digging the wood! Only crit as you have mentioned is color on le brick texture.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    +1 ^^ Real nice wood. But the bricks texture: you can get rid of black on diffuse. Maybe some dark shade of grey, just not complete black. And maybe subtle color variation: some blue or orange tint, just slightly.

The spec on the wood is kinda strange for me, not on plane, but on the texture. But looks like works.

Can you share the process of sculpted wood? Real nice, And I'm courious about it :D

Sorry for PRO english.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Yeah I had issues with the dark cavities in the bricks, I tried to pull the values up but obviously not enough. And definitely I'll be adding some color variation soon.

The spec on the wood was mostly an experiment to fix some black artifacts I was getting when there was more detail and contrast in the texture.

As for the sculpting, I built the planks in 3DS Max just out of subdivided boxes and some half spheres for the nail heads. Then I imported everything into Zbrush and used Flatten with medium (40-60) Z intensity to give a soft dinged up edge to each plank. Then I used the planar and clay tubes brush with more flatten (this time at a lower intensity) to get more surface variation across the edges as well as the inner portions. Then I used Orb's crack brush, using the nail heads as a good starting point for major cracks and then just proceeded to add in logical wood grain with the crack brush and a light touch. Finally I finished things off with another hit of flatten and planar to really make things feel soften and beaten up.

Thanks for the crits, art updates coming soon!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So pretty standard wood sculpt, but very nice effect!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here's the updated textures. I pulled up the blacks in the bricks to a dark grey, added color variation and reduced the darkness of the recessed bricks to cover the tiling a bit better.

For the wood I just added a touch more color variation.

Bricks_and_Wood_2_Alex_Martin_zps9836ac94.jpg

I'm working on the shingles sculpt, but it's slow going with some many pieces, after that I'll start roughing out a small scene for these first couple textures and expand my list as necessary. I'm thinking a little hovel in a swamp with like, myst style rickety bridges over the deep water...
  • nksilver5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nksilver5 polycounter lvl 5
    My only crit for the bricks would be that it appears slightly too smooth :)

Try to sharpen some faces a little ;)
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the shingles done, on to a block-out of my idea...

Shingles_Alex_Martin_zpsc618675d.jpg
    Shingles_Texture_zps91e96c68.jpg

I came up with an idea, somewhat based off Monty Python.. since I understand that anything made of stone would presumable sink into the swamp, along with the 2nd and 3rd iterations...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A"]Monty Python - Swamp Castle.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

So the idea that I'm gonna try to out is a castle sunken into the swamp, where someone has made one of the remaining upper towers into a home, so wooden walkways leading to a window barred by a makeshift door though which the inhabitant enters the castle...

Nksilver5: I'll try and get on that here as I'm working, are you meaning the front faces were there's more noise, or just in general the planes could use you extra pinching at intersections.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Have you considered using displacement maps? It would be cool to see these with DX11 tessellation. :D
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good but you use too much green on bricks (and the last tiles too ) so they look like rooting (especially the stone).

Keep going!