Home General Discussion

How do I improve?

I know there are a bunch of previous topics regarding if one should go into schools for 3d related professions, and if it's worth it etc.

What I don't see as much of is how to go about learning yourself without school. I've been messing around with 3d software for a while, and though I feel I know a great deal (though not everything) about the software I work with (3ds max, trying to get the hang of maya), I don't feel like my actual skill with modeling, animation, rigging, or lighting is getting that much better.

I've heard the gnomon workshop is a good resource, but looking through their site, I'm not sure what I should be looking into or not.

As far as where I am skill level, If you go and give me a model to work with, I go and edit it to a good degree, but when it comes to making something from scratch, I kinda fall apart. I have the same issue when it comes to editing images: I can turn a really rough sketch into a polished piece, but when it comes to actually drawing or sketching myself, I'm meh at best. (Though that has more to do with my motor skills more than anything else)

I'm kinda at a limbo point where I understand how 3d models/rigging/lighting/design works, but I can't seem to apply it.

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I've been messing around with 3d software for a while.

That's the clue right there, to get better you have to stop just messing around and take it seriously.
    Work as hard as you can, pick a concept or a project and stick with it until it's done, that's the only way to get better.

Also if you are looking for resources eat3D and 3DMotive are great places, there is also a bunch more.

Good luck :)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    work hard , work a lot(30-50 hours a week), Polycount, Polycount hangouts, study, sacrifice, be inspired, inspire, work hard.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    The old Saying of "Hard work and determination." Well it's true and you just have to do it.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    have no social life
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Set specific, attainable short and long term goals for yourself and take actionable steps toward reaching those goals. This takes organization and a lot of tenacity.

"I really suck at BLANK" (whatever blank is for you). Then focus on blank until you're loads better at it.

this, is really good advice.

Just to add a bit to what dustin was saying,Keep in mind if you want to learn about tools and/or art knowledge.

if its tools check ,hard edges techniques/shader research/baking tips

if its art knowledge, try doing breakdown that into different art categories e.g : shapes/silouettes,lighting/materials, anatomy, etc..keep switching areas if you feel blocked, it'll help being motivated.

good luck!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    really awesome post dustin, and can be applied to learning just about anything, not just 3d. good stuff!
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Really practice hard. As well practice smart. Feng Zhu School on Youtube does a great before and after video of his students and the biggest thing he stresses are the fundamentals.

So take some time (okay take a lot of time) AND really get into the fundamentals of w/e it is you want to be great at. Modeling Texturing Characters Environments... Just gotta hash out some practice hours.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    have no social life
    I second that
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds like you need to complete some projects from scratch.

Don't just mess around, always have a VERY clear objective for each project. So if you're modeling a car, you should know what kind, what condition, what art style, general poly budget, how it will be used, and preferably a deadline for motivation. So maybe you want to model a red, 1970 Chevelle, including the interior, slightly worn, in a style similar to Borderlands, for use in a game engine, roughly 10k tris, within three weeks. That's your goal, now you just have to get there.

In the process, you'll run into various challenges and that's where you actually learn. When you reach one, figure it out. Google it, see what others have done, and/or develop a solution on your own. Each project you do should present you with a series of challenges like these, and your skills will improve with each one. It's what elderly folks call "experience" :P

To get more mileage for you time, do what dustinbrown said and target your projects specifically to the skills you want to improve.

Improving at anything just takes straight up discipline, that's all. If you want a career in 3D, 30-50 hours a week is about right. If you're a hobbyist, do an hour a day. In either case, get the work done.

note: if you don't have time for a (social) life, you're not managing your time correctly.