Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

REWORKING OF VEGETA: concepts for a game character.

Hi everybody, I'm working on revisiting the character of Vegeta of Dragon Ball for my Dissertation in 3D games modelling. Those are the concepts I've done and I'd like to have some feedback before to start the modelling process. I've spent a lot of time trying to achieve the right design for this character, the aim was to make it real, cool, and actual while preserving the core soul of the original prince of the Sayan. To make you an example I've tried to do the same Kind of work that has been done with Superman in Man of Steel. All the pieces of my design follow the principle of "function" it means that everything is there for a purpose and nothing is left totally to the pure aesthetics. The energy detector for example has been removed because it has really no sense, Vegeta is a space Warrior and he needs a proper Mask that allows him to breathe on other planets.
So tell me what you think about it, if you like it or not and why, also if you could point out which one of the combinations of colors you do like more for the combat suit will be great!

Thanks guys your feedback is precious.

vegetavisoperesportazione_zpsdaec133d.jpg

vegetaconceptultimatomantello_zps6e12bc3a.jpg
n.1
vegetac1_zps3eb9d0ba.jpg
n.2
vegetac2_zpsf052ad64.jpg
n.3
vegetac3_zps5d3d3b72.jpg
n.4
vegetac4_zpsdbe762c9.jpg
n.5
vegetac5_zps27307276.jpg
n.6
ultimacombinazione2_zpsef6f5085.jpg
n.7
vegetaultimocolore1_zpsb75f4774.jpg

Replies

• Sear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sear polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man. I like the idea :)

The armour design looks really good :) very much liking the texture on the arms and legs of the character and I think the finished product will look good if you stick to this design.

However, I do have a few negatives :P. The most immediate one for me is - ditch the cape. The cape works well in the 'prince' sense but not for combat, which is what it looks like your going for. Also a major factor with Saiyan armour is that it can stretch for when a Saiyan becomes Ozaru, which I can't imagine a cape randomly growing :)

The colours I am unfortunately not fond of. I always thought the White, yellow and blue worked really well for the original character and that colour scheme stays with him for the majority of the series. If I had to pick a colour scheme I would go for N.6, although I would suggest making the tan colour yellow :).

Last but not least I would alter the groin piece (it looks a bit like a penis :P).

I am by no means a great artist (haven't actually posted any of my work on this site yet because I dare not :P) so I hope someone with much more experience than I comes along and offers their advice. Regardless I hope some of this helps :).

EDIT: Oo also good luck with the project I hope it turns out really well :D
  • mecons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sear wrote: »
    Hey man. I like the idea :)

The armour design looks really good :) very much liking the texture on the arms and legs of the character and I think the finished product will look good if you stick to this design.

However, I do have a few negatives :P. The most immediate one for me is - ditch the cape. The cape works well in the 'prince' sense but not for combat, which is what it looks like your going for. Also a major factor with Saiyan armour is that it can stretch for when a Saiyan becomes Ozaru, which I can't imagine a cape randomly growing :)

The colours I am unfortunately not fond of. I always thought the White, yellow and blue worked really well for the original character and that colour scheme stays with him for the majority of the series. If I had to pick a colour scheme I would go for N.6, although I would suggest making the tan colour yellow :).

Last but not least I would alter the groin piece (it looks a bit like a penis :P).

I am by no means a great artist (haven't actually posted any of my work on this site yet because I dare not :P) so I hope someone with much more experience than I comes along and offers their advice. Regardless I hope some of this helps :).

EDIT: Oo also good luck with the project I hope it turns out really well :D

You have a great eye! If only all the feedback was like the one of yours. You managed to focus on the very defects of my design. I do agree with everything you said.
    Anyway the cap will be a removable piece of the suit, it is supposed to be used only for formal events and not for fighting. I do think also that no armour even if elastic could support the transformation in Ozaru, I would remove completely Ozaru from Dragonball as in Man of Steel the cryptonite has been removed. The Sayans have to many transformations and the giant monkey is a bit an exaggeration in my opinion.
    About the penis XD it is true it is bizarre but i can't see a combat suit without a protection for the lowest parts, maybe i have to work on making it better, but I've discovered that for this kind of armour the only way to make it not uncomfortable for movement is to make it to follow the anatomical shape unfortunately. For the colors I've used complementary matching, that is why I've not used a true yellow.
    As a designer i do prefer the simplicity And I would like to use maximum 2 colours if not only one but i'm forced to evoke the character of Vegeta and the n.6 as you pointed out is the best one for the purpose.

Hope to see some piece of yours one day. Thanks again!
  • Sear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sear polycounter lvl 7
    Hey again :)

Sounds good and yeah the cape being removable makes perfect sense. He can put it on for a bit of class. I agree that removing Ozaru is a good call. The Dragonballz series ditched it pretty quick themselves. Personally I have always that that Super Saiyan 3 was to far XD.

I think that the groin piece should stay, I just think the panel loops need to be moved a little.

Also, maybe think about a gold? You will likely have to wait until the texturing phase in order to try it out but it is something to consider :)

Here is a quick feedback image with some ideas.

feedback_zpsa756c269.jpg

Hope it helps, good luck! :D
  • Tsercele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this concept! It's always cool to see characters reinterpreted in different styles. I totally understand your reservations about using an extreme color palette, but I think that with the right materials, you could make the yellow/blue/white setup work! Carbon fiber and automotive paint would totally make sense for Vegeta, what with his sense of upper-class superiority. It might take a bit of tweaking, but I think it might be worth investigating!

9cdohVX.png

Other thoughts: I think that if it's a single solid piece, that tail guard is a little long. It seems like it would limit the tail's range of motion, and maybe even make the wearer uncomfortable. I'd move it up a little. (Unless it's like fabric or elastic, or something. In which case, forget it. :poly142: )

Looking forward to seeing updates! You're off to a great start!
  • mecons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sear wrote: »
    Hey again :)

Sounds good and yeah the cape being removable makes perfect sense. He can put it on for a bit of class. I agree that removing Ozaru is a good call. The Dragonballz series ditched it pretty quick themselves. Personally I have always that that Super Saiyan 3 was to far XD.

I think that the groin piece should stay, I just think the panel loops need to be moved a little.

Also, maybe think about a gold? You will likely have to wait until the texturing phase in order to try it out but it is something to consider :)

Here is a quick feedback image with some ideas.

feedback_zpsa756c269.jpg

Hope it helps, good luck! :D

Hei! A more round shaped penis's armour will work fine! I'll update the design on Monday and I’ll publish it. About the gold color I think it is cool but gold is dangerous, it is a very evocative color, it gives the idea of richness and power which is good on some degree but it also gives information about a metallic material and this combat suit is semi-rigid and elastic. A good middle point would be to use an opaque gold color, I’ll try it too.
    Anyway the Bragonball community is killing me, as they are strong fans, they are regretting my concepts. I suppose they can’t really see Vegeta different from how it is in the cartoon. -.-‘
    See you!
  • mecons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tsercele wrote: »
    I love this concept! It's always cool to see characters reinterpreted in different styles. I totally understand your reservations about using an extreme color palette, but I think that with the right materials, you could make the yellow/blue/white setup work! Carbon fiber and automotive paint would totally make sense for Vegeta, what with his sense of upper-class superiority. It might take a bit of tweaking, but I think it might be worth investigating!

9cdohVX.png

Other thoughts: I think that if it's a single solid piece, that tail guard is a little long. It seems like it would limit the tail's range of motion, and maybe even make the wearer uncomfortable. I'd move it up a little. (Unless it's like fabric or elastic, or something. In which case, forget it. :poly142: )

Looking forward to seeing updates! You're off to a great start!

Thanks Tsercele, I’m glad you like my concept and you tried to improve it. I’ve already tried to use the combination of colors you used in the picture, I think it is nice and also helps to recognize the character. But there are a big problem with them that you didn’t notice because in my concepts is not very evident that the suit is “semi-rigid” as plastic and not metallic. I decided to use an elastic looking like plastic material because sayans need full range of movement, also they don’t really needs to be protected from blows (as their bodies are strong enough) but from high temperatures caused by energy powers ( I can’t find any other explanation for Vegeta to not wear a proper complete rigid armour). You would agree with me in that a plastic materials are opaque while metallic are more shining, that doesn’t mean of course that we can’t give to our plastic material a shining yellow or a clear white but it would make it to appear a bit fake. Don’t you agree?
    Anyway I do like the new distribution of colors you have done, it gives a better rhythm. It is something I’ve tried already and I chose to remove because it goes far away from the original Vegeta unfortunately. On the other hand there is no reason why I could not use the work you have done for the chest-abdomen, I think it is a very plausible solution I’ve never tried!
    I do like what you have done for the blu part of the suit, it should be takend in consideration also.
    Finally for the mask as for the coat it is not possible to chose a color for the momet as it will be related to the definitive color matching of the suit.

see you mate and thanks again!
  • mecons
  • mecons
  • Tsercele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, of course! That makes sense. Sorry for posting a recolor immediately after you said you'd like to go with something different - my post was going through moderation when you responded to Sear! Still, good to hear that my suggestion came in useful. Best of luck - I look forward to seeing more!
  • mecons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys it is me again,I have the final concept and also my low poly for body and mask. The low poly's proportions, muscles and suit shapes have to be fixed and pronounced a bit but the topology is almost done.My intention is to have a very detailed base mesh so that I'll sculpt only the very fines details in ZBrush for the normal and bump map. the first subdivision will be done in 3ds Max so that I'll be able to obtain hard surfaces by smoothing-groups subdivision.
    tell me what do you think about it!

vegetafinalecoloriaggiusti_zps99494d31.jpg

FRONTE_zps7151bfb9.jpg

RETRO_zps960ce275.jpg

PROFILO_zpsfced9046.jpg
  • KKolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KKolar polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man, Its looking pretty cool so far. I would say what you need to focus on is your anatomy and proportions. At this point both his legs and arms are too short. If you measure from the top of his head to the bottom of his crotch, that distance should be relatively the same as the distance from the bottom of his crotch to the bottom of his feet. Hope this helps, keep it up!
  • mecons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I had a very poor result with the face compared to the original sculpture, also the hair are very unnatural and flat, I have a lot of things to learn about hair as it was my first attempt in doing it. Anyway I think I had a quite nice result with the combat suit but I wait for your judgment before for confirming that thought.

wireframe_zpsdba88254.jpg

visowireframe_zps089e50ed.jpg

highpoly-Copy_zps2541a1d0.jpg

visohigh_zps975b4c52.jpg

udkrender_zpsc6caf945.jpg

otherwiews-Copy_zps08288680.jpg

closewievs_zpsdd4e6a98.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    not a huge fan of his face, Vegeta had a really square, short face... in fact his overall proportions are a lot shorter and boxier. the armour design is "okay" in terms of a redesign (although i wish people would fuck off with the bezel filter already). but you've lost the essence of Vegeta as a character with your design.