Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rel'Kah, GoW character style.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
a.manzani polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,
I created this character some months ago.
The character is a personal concept.
The weapon is a Gow's concept

Lowpoly
Character 24k tris
Weapon 11k tris
Rendered by Marmoset

Highpoly
Maya and ZBrush

Feel free to critique.
I hope you like it.

Posa.jpg

Posa2.jpg

Posa3.jpg

Concept

ConceptV3.jpg

CharacterLowPolySideB.jpg

Highpoly model

CharacterHighPolyZBrushBack.jpg

Maps

MapsReelA.jpg

MapsReelB.jpg

MapsReelC.jpg

Weapon

WeaponLowPolySide.jpg

WeaponLowPolyFront.jpg

WeaponLowPolyBack.jpg

Highpoly model

Launcher_hp.jpg

Launcher_wire.jpg

MapsReelWeap.jpg

wire.jpg

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Holy shitballs, this looks awesome. Looks like it'd fit right into the GOW universe.

If I had to pick on something it would be the material definition. Textures look sweet, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the specular of each material, if that makes sense.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    blaady hell, looking awesome. how long it took mate?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking really good but you made some mistakes with color there
    Its a little complicated, but you put this cold blue in, which is kinda fine , but it makes it all a bit too much if you take the red lights in on the character alone.
    The character itself is alright in that regard tho, but the weapon is really off.

You cannot mix cold yellow with warm yellow. Wrong yellow tones are probably the most common mistake in color composition. If you want yellow there, use a bright warm tone for the cloth strips and such , and id heavily suggest giving the weapon one of the color finishes your character uses on his armor, the blue, maybe brown
    You have 4 main tones in there which are very different and make it hard to get right. The yellow has the same state as the red as highlight, and it would be best if one would go since theyre battling for their spot
    The locust launcher on the second pic is even battling with himself because of the red and the yellow tones, they hate each other.

here is a quick paintover , all i did is tone yellows under hue and saturation down by 33, and then you have a nice complementary contrast with nice mid tones and a highlight color
    locust.png
    there are other possibilities too, but that would change too much for your liking I think (note how also the brown shoulders change towards warm)

Also a glow on the red highlight lights would make them pop a lot more

If you get the colors right, then nobody can distinguish from a real GOW model by epic id say, really good job on the rest ;)
  • a.manzani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a.manzani polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for advices !!
    I used about 2 mounths, but I've worked 7-8 hours for week.
    @Shrike The right image's colors are great, for the weapon, I've used the original conceptart colors, but I prefer your colors, I'll fix them. I really appreciated your advices.