Home General Discussion

Can I still make it into the games industry?

I Graduated from an Art School with a BA in Video Game Design a few years ago. Ever since I graduated many things in life took over, I turned 28, had my first born and began to procrastinate on my portfolio and spent more time with my family and friends than I should have. I've began to revamp my portfolio and really dig deep into creating new art and progressing in 3D, is it still possible for me to find a job in the game industry as a 3D artist or is it too late? Sometimes I feel as if it's too late for me, that no studio is going to want someone who graduated with a BA 2 years ago with no shipped titles, it really worries me. Thought I'd ask some of you who have experience for some thoughts on this topic.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's not to late, the industry frequently hires people in their late 20's for entry level positions and you don't even need a degree to land a job.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your work good? Cause that's really the only important question
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, its good to hear its never too late. I think it really always boils down to if the work being produced is as good as it can be in the end.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It's never too late, just make sure you have a nice, clean portfolio with good work and have a good attitude. You should be fine. Post your work in the P&P section and get some feedback :D Good luck.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    kimchee519 wrote: »
    I Graduated from an Art School with a BA in Video Game Design a few years ago. Ever since I graduated many things in life took over, I turned 28, had my first born and began to procrastinate on my portfolio and spent more time with my family and friends than I should have. I've began to revamp my portfolio and really dig deep into creating new art and progressing in 3D, is it still possible for me to find a job in the game industry as a 3D artist or is it too late? Sometimes I feel as if it's too late for me, that no studio is going to want someone who graduated with a BA 2 years ago with no shipped titles, it really worries me. Thought I'd ask some of you who have experience for some thoughts on this topic.

It's never too late man. Don't worry about it and you saying that you spent "too much time on the family" isn't really a bad thing. It's very easy to get into the mindset of being too focused doing what we do as well, neglecting both family, friends and other pleasures.

You'd enter the industry as a Junior or with no pre-title at all, which is fine man. :) Just work on your portfolio pieces and post your work so we can give you crits and make you learn faster. It'll be good, we're here to help!
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanka chris, ive seen your work and hearing those encouraging words from you means a lot, thanks!
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    Never too late. Speaking from exp, I just landed my 1st junior position this week. And I'm 27 with no degree. (I went to a small specialized cg school and received a certificate.)

During my interview, they never asked about any degrees or to see any credentials.
    And on my resume I had my DOB listed. Which they actually advised me not to put that on there when applying in the future.

So they didn't really care about my age or my schooling too much.

Just have a kickass folio and be honest with them about why you've been away for 2 years.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Oh yeah, 28 is waaaay too late. I'd start thinking about retirement if I were you, rather than worrying about getting into the industry :P

I started around the same age, don't worry about it - just get your head down and work :D
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Every day you are still alive is a new opportunity to get where you want to be and achieve your goals.

Just keep up momentum and keep moving forward if you were 50 and determined and its what you wanted id say go for it, what else are you gonna do? guzzle down cough syrup thinking about a life half lived?.
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really appreciate the thoughts on this thread guys its great motivation!
  • Gyrz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    It's not to late, the industry frequently hires people in their late 20's for entry level positions and you don't even need a degree to land a job.

But does studio hire people in their 30's?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8

well yeah, why wouldn't they if the works good?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Gyrz wrote: »

I knew a 50 year old guy started concept art at a previous studio, its never too late :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gyrz wrote: »
    I started at Epic when I was 30.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." - Eddie Colla
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice quote Krypteia!

I think everyone here is driven by the passion of achieving greatness. It is never to late to accomplish that. :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Confucius says: "Older git is better worker than small fry"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lack of progress will hurt you but not the passage of time. You should have kept up on your portfolio because you've missed out on the opportunity to grow as an artist. But its never too late to pick up the torch and carry on. Sure you would be farther along today if you hadn't let things slide but you can stop the decline and start moving up again.

Tomorrow you can be better than you are to day and you need to keep moving that way until you are employable.