Home General Discussion

Autodesk Fusion 360

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
fifftyframes polycounter lvl 9
I see there is a new Autodesk program dealing with sculpting. Anyone use it yet? Is it worth my time or should I wait for bug removal?

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    It's a CAD program o.O
    Autodesk's sculpting app is mudbox, might want to take a look at that.
  • fifftyframes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been told the tale of the mudbox. Never took a look at it first hand because I never see anyone using it. How does mudbox compare to zbrush?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a trial for both zbrush and mudbox, download them and take them for a spin.

Some like zbrush others like mudbox.
    I for one bought 3d coat myself on steam, I'm pretty happy with that.
  • fifftyframes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d coat looks like a large and detailed toolset. I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm no longer a student. Can you upgrade from basic to pro rather than 2 separate purchases?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think you can upgrade your license.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I've been told the tale of the mudbox. Never took a look at it first hand because I never see anyone using it. How does mudbox compare to zbrush?

Zbrush is designed as an all-in-one sculpting solution, so you can start with nothing and end up with a complete piece at the end. It has a very robust toolset that's designed with both organic and hard surface art in mind. Also all updates are free, there are no upgrade fees (even people that have had a license for 10+ years are still getting free upgrades).

Mudbox is a complementary app, you need to use another program like 3DSMax or Maya to create the basic pieces of your character/creature/object before bringing them in to Mudbox to be sculpted on. It's really only designed for organic sculpting (no hard surface tools afaik). The painting tools are considered one of its best features.

Most people use ZBrush for sculpting.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    You could make a case for Mudbox's ease of use since it's interface is more similar to traditional 3D apps - but yeah, its sculpting tools on the whole are not as feature-rich as Zbrush's.