Home Technical Talk

What is a TVert?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Cadu polycounter lvl 5
Exporting .obj in 3dsmax i got in the export report many tverts.. but what is a tvert? Searching around i found no reference of exactly what it is.

Like always, thanks for the help.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    This is a t-vertex:

tvertices.jpg

You can turn on t-vert checking by going to the top left of your active viewport, clicking [+] --> xView --> T-vertices.
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Thanx for the info Synaesthesia.

Do you know if this may cause any problems in a plane/block topology with no triangles?

Im trying to use quad only in an character topology, but in a few objects due to the high density i have used many tverts to support the no triangles approach.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Personally, I'd remove the t-verts and convert them into a quad. T-verts tend to create holes in the mesh, even if they're tiny ones. You will see flickering from whatever is behind it. Any t-vert can become a quad if you connect it together.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T-Vert can also mean "Texture Vertex" TV's and UV's are pretty much interchangeable terms. Texture Verts was used way back in the day to talk about the verts in a texture layout. Now most people call them UV's because they are the only verts that are manipulated in U & V space. Some of the old tools and methods in 3dsmax still refer to TVs.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    ...That, too. I keep forgetting about that. Geometry t-verts are something we deal with daily here considering the nature of our tools (some of them are quite dated). IIRC, doesn't Max still refer to texture vertices for keybinding purposes?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha it does! Oh max your age is showing...

TV's are also all over the maxscript documentation too, which is where I ran into it for the first time.
    "TV's!? What the hell are TV's? I'm looking for UV's" Ha ha ha...
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Well, initially i got a bigger problem. I think. Thru Adobe Illustrator a create a vector and extrude it in max. I got THIS.

After some time i managed to close everything, clone for the lower part and then bridge the holes. I got THIS.

I wont chamfer the border so i was ok with that until now when exporting the whole model i finding that this part alone gets about 150 tverts.

There is any way of locating exactly where those tverts are? Like finding holes or non-quads with graphite tools?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The xView t-vert checker should find them for you. If it doesn't, try the STL Check modifier and look for open holes.
    Ha it does! Oh max your age is showing...

TV's are also all over the maxscript documentation too, which is where I ran into it for the first time.
    "TV's!? What the hell are TV's? I'm looking for UV's" Ha ha ha...

I only remember them being called TVs due to trying to bind the select by element toggle. That drove me up the wall for a while. Thank heaven for Google searches!
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Initial google search for Tvert gave me Mason Tvert and the legalization of Marijuana in Colorado.
  • Cadu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cadu polycounter lvl 5
    Thx Synaesthesia for the tip about xView. Now Tverts are pointed by green dots.