Home General Discussion

Freelancing and dealing with a well known IP and proprietary rights

Hi guys,

I'm seeking some advice and was wondering if any of the other freelancers on the forums have had similar experience and how you dealt with it. And if not, just what you think of this kind of work in general.

This is an issue that's popped up a few times for me. Freelance inquiries that involved creating characters/content from stories that were not unique IPs. Generally well known series/movies/games. These were paid offers and I live in the U.S.

Here's a hypothetical situation just to use as an example:

Client wants to make a Star Wars game. Client asks me if I can make a Wookie character. It won't look like Chewbacca, no bandolier or laser crossbow. He'll have a leather pilot helmet, and other accessories to distinguish him as a unique character. But just like Chewie, he'll be hairy, a similar brown color, and will still be called a Wookie.

Would this be infringing on copyright or proprietary rights owned by a company like Disney if the Client didn't have the rights to make the game from them? And more specifically, by me accepting the contract and acting as the freelancer making the artwork based on the ideas owned by another company, make me the one responsible for the infringement?

I've wondered about this for awhile now. Could anyone could shed some light on this?

Replies

• battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    You would be making money off it,I'd day yes then.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    If you make a for profit game based on Star Wars and don't have the rights the company will be sued. Back away from it as quickly as you can as they don't sound very professional!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    A wookie with a pilot helmet....that's gonna be some mean helmet-hair when he takes it off :-S
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    If you want a valid answer, you should ask a lawyer, not a bunch of random people on a forum.

My guess is that YOU would not be in trouble, since you are not making the infringing product...you are just working on it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah basically, if he's paying you to do work for him, he owns the work and any legal implications that come with it, you're just providing a service.

i wouldn't count on the work being particularly long term though.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    like it's been said, falls under Work for Hire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_for_hire

In any-case CYA. Make sure it's 100% clear in your contract that any and all legal pitfalls arising from the work are the responsibility of the person who commissioned it.

Lucas was always great about fan-created material..It will be interesting to see how well Disney will handle it
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    This is begging for a lawsuit. I wouldn't do it if I were you. But if you really need the money and do end up doing it, don't put your name on it or publicize it. :P You'd be surprised how hard large IP holders will come down even on individuals posting art they don't want you to post.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    low odor wrote: »
    like it's been said, falls under Work for Hire

The contract has to specify that it's work for hire, otherwise the creator retains the rights (in the US at least).
    "there must be a written agreement between the parties specifying that the work is a work made for hire"

I'm not sure what that means for copyright infringement lawsuits
  • Jonnyboy0121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the info.

Just to be clear - something I didn't mention in my post and should've - is that I already contacted my lawyer about it. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'll obviously put a lot of weight on his suggestions, but in the meantime I figured I'd see if any other freelancers had dealt with similar work requests.

Ah ok, very interesting regarding the work for hire. It seems like it's a gray area (to me). But I suppose adding a clause like "legal pitfalls arising from the work are responsibility of the person who commissioned it" would help protect me.

My current contract states all the work I create is original and does not infringe upon, copyright, right of privacy, proprietary right, right publicity, etc. Seems like to me that bit would have to be edited to reflect the Work for hire mentality above, and just wasn't sure if that was legal or not.
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you're talking to a lawyer -- good! -- you might ask him if you could further limit your liabilities here by doing the work under a limited liability company (LLC) rather than yourself as an individual. There are lots of great tax reasons for doing so as well.
  • Jonnyboy0121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jon, did some research and set up my LLC today!

Also for those curious, my lawyer got back to me about my questions. He said as long as I had something called an "indemnity clause" in my contract I'd be fine. Which is essentially the same "work for hire" sentiments you guys have been saying here. I found out the client offering the particular work I'm talking about does have the rights to use the IP. But just to be safe, my lawyer also recommended I set up an LLC.

So anyway, thanks all for the tips and suggestions. It's been much appreciated!
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, that's great! Congrats on the LLC and good luck on the project!
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, there's something romantic about mutual indemnification.