Home Technical Talk

Free Maya Tools! - qCylinderX and qSphere

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tmarshall3d polycounter lvl 4
qCylinderX and qSphere are free python scripts for Maya that (as the name suggests) create a cylinder and sphere with any number of sides and quadrilateral caps on both poles. qSphere even gives the user the option of creating a hemisphere instead.

Video Demo:
[vv]72163422[/vv]

Again both are FREE on my site.
Get them here: http://www.tmarshall3d.net/Resources
Find out about update via rss: rss.tmarshall3d.net

Let me know what you think or would like to see here, or email me: contact@tmarshall3d.net

Hope this script is useful and helps speed up your modeling process!

Replies

• Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    I would love to see some screenshots of these tools in action. Sounds like some useful stuff. I will definitely give them a try.
  • tmarshall3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can do you one better! I will post a youtube video ASAP. Also small patch update to qSphere; I was so excited to put it out there, I messed up a line of code.. The patch version is live on my site now, sorry about that.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Not bad; though not what I had expected. I expected something like this for the cap:

006.jpg

Though these tools will still save me time, so thanks for making them! Especially for spheres and cylinders with more divisions, this saves a lot of time.
  • tmarshall3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll look into that as an option for the next version, though I think the math for that would be pretty intense. Every time you make a cut or remove an edge, the vertex count changes.. Makes it hard to account for, given x number of sides. :/
  • tmarshall3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to qSphere (v1.4). I went to create a demo video for Shanthosa (thanks, without that idea I would have missed this for the longest time). All the bugs should be gone for now, but if you see one (or maya just gives you an error line) email me: contact@tmarshall3d.net

And I will try to get that video up here soon! I got side tracked trying to fix those bugs..

Thanks!
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    i get a syntax error when trying to import this script. what is the proper way of making a shelf button for this?
  • tmarshall3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can just open it with a text editor and copy and paste the code. Sorry I wasn't sure how to save it so that others could just add it to the shelf. I'm just starting to learn python coding for maya, so that will be something I will have to look into. Sorry for the inconvenience.