Home Technical Talk

I need a Blender scientist for alpha texture rendering

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
Greetings, if any one here's familiar with Blender, I would love it if they could help me with a question that I've had since I first started using Blender.

When using GLSL view port display, alpha textures are rendered weirdly, not sure how to describe it, but when I use P to start the game simulation, the textures are then rendered properly. I was just wondering if there's a way to get Blender to properly display alpha textures when using GLSL directly.

Here's a screenie~

Left - Blender view port with GLSL ; Right - Within the game simulation
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12216973/ClipUpload/n5buav4t.png

Replies

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    If u are in cycles,Blender render mode,switch to Blender Game mode.

Select the hair mesh,go to the material tab section,and scroll down to Game settings,change the Alpha Blend from opaque to Alpha Clip.U should see some improvements.U can play around with the other options to see if u can get better results.

Problem is the viewport is completely different from what u see in game mode.Right now,the game mode viewport can display more features than the default viewport in blender like transparent shadows,ocean shaders,and lens flares.
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Oh, that is great! Alpha Clip works great, but I am wondering if it's possible to get Alpha Blend to work as well?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alpha blend works like this in most game engines. There will be sorting problems. Unless you use a technique like alpha-to-coverage (Marmoset supports this IIRC). Some possible solutions:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/TransparencyMap#Sorting_Problems
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Oh, that is great! Alpha Clip works great, but I am wondering if it's possible to get Alpha Blend to work as well?

I don't think its possible in the viewport,only in game mode.

Blender devs intend on integrating the game engine into blender in future.That means the viewport will be the same as the game engine giving users access to all the powerful features like depth of field,easy emit,lens flare,ocean shaders,alpha map shadows,better alpha map display e.t.c.

That also means the game engine will cease to exist(never been of much use anyway) though there will be an interaction mode but think of how popular and useful this will make Blender become.

This opens Blender for use in architectural visualizations,real time cinematics and renders,movies,medical demonstrations and so on.

I can't wait to start making use of all these features for rendering animations as these will cut render times and eliminate the need to learn game engines just for realtime renders.
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ProperSquid polycounter lvl 12
    Unfortunately, Blender doesn't render alpha transparency in the viewport correctly as stated by everyone else. The only thing that does render alpha transparency correctly is the game engine and render engines (Cycles and Blender Internal).
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melviso wrote:

Where did you learn that and where can I find more about it? That, quite frankly, sounds awesome!
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Where did you learn that and where can I find more about it? That, quite frankly, sounds awesome!

Keep an eye out for Ton's further explanation in the comments.
    http://www.blendernation.com/2013/06/17/blender-roadmap-2-7-2-8-and-beyond/