Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Sinestro Corps Scene

noisecheck
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
noisecheck polycounter lvl 5
A Sinestro corps environment I've been working on recently, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

tumblr_mqeie8kFxv1qitywyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqeie8kFxv1qitywyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqeie8kFxv1qitywyo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqeie8kFxv1qitywyo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqeie8kFxv1qitywyo5_1280.jpg

Replies

• noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also made a fly through video here

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfBzkvLvNO4"]UDK Sinestro Corps Scene - YouTube[/ame]
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The yellow seems a bit overwhelming. Reverting the monitors to a more common bluish tint might help.
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol I did actually think that, I guess I went a little too far on whole YELLOW lantern theme, I'll tweak it and see how it looks.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    It's visually really interesting but nothing about it screams Sinestro corp to me. I think you should make the Sinestro specific elements more obvious and play a larger role than they are just now.

Overall though its very impressive!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Its the right colors at least. :) but yes there's nothing to say that this is a Sinestro Corps building rather than just something from space-IKEA with the yellow accent package.

At least put the yellow lantern logo in there somewhere. :)
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I didn't pick the best angles to take the screenshots from.

Some of the assets (walls, chairs and tables) do have the symbol present but I agree it needs more of a Sinestro Corps feel to it.

tumblr_mqeie8kFxv1qitywyo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqeie8kFxv1qitywyo7_1280.jpg

The final room in the video still needs work to give it that Sinestro Corps feel I think so I will make some changes, thanks for the feedback!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Wow really nice work man :)! Looking really sweet! I have some crits for you though.

I think you should spend more polys on the tubes, or maybe add a little bit more overall. Mainly because it's a closed off interior environment, why worry about polycount for things like tubes? xD

Another thing would be that without the DOF, it would be tricky to have something to focus on since both foreground, middleground and background blends together and uses the same type of colors. This is mostly directed towards the big control room.

You have several areas in your scene, think of each area like concept art. In most paintings you have a subject that is the main piece of the picture. That's the main element and everything around it should compliment that element.

That's also why the most impressive room is the conference room which makes the most sense as well. While the other bigger control room seem to lack focus. Without a centerpiece everything just blends together and it makes it really tricky lighting-wise and without the DOF the eye of the viewer would just scatter around.

As for the papers, I'd recommend that you add pen and paper stacks to the room as well, right now the paper lying on the floor seems out of place and just randomly placed just to make it look more interesting. There are no shelves or tables nearby that they would have fallen from etc etc. Same goes for cables, in a sci-fi universe with super advanced technology it feels lazy for them to have cables hanging from the roofs unless it's gritty low sci-fi.

But yeah now I'm just being picky. :P

Either way man, Good Work! Solid sci-fi environment, really nice work on the effects in the scene as well. :)
  • mbischof
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some very helpful feedback!

I will probably redo most of the pipes in this scene, they don’t really look interesting to be honest and are not doing much for the overall look of the level, and the papers scattered around was pretty lazy of me as well if I am honest, I did plan on adding storage/pens etc I just never got around to it.

The focus point/centerpiece comment is probably the reason why I found it quite difficult to find a good location for a screenshot in the final room, I guess I need to change the layout and add something to it to give it that focus point.

I’ll definitely be adding more to this project soon, thanks for the feedback.