Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New To Polycount | First thread, First Model

Hey. I am new here at poly count. I've only been on for a day. This just a little something that I have been playing around with for a while, but has some flaws. I am only 14 and still have a lot to learn. Hope you guys like it !!! :)

934695_158306897694906_725726586_n.png

1011164_158306901028239_1380057087_n.png

995151_158306907694905_2102148950_n.png

1098125_158308677694728_1035552478_n.png

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too bad for a first model! There's not much to critique due to it's simplicity, however. If anything I would say the reflections seem a bit too glossy, but that's without seeing any reference for the object. Since you seem to know the basics, I think you should just go ahead and attempt the entire weapon. Jumping in the deep end can be a great way to learn, especially when you have Polycount there to help along the way.

I would fix up the presentation a bit as well. First, the mesh is only using about half of the image. I personally make it a general rule to have the actual work take up no less the 80% or so of the image when presenting models and/or textures and to avoid too much negative space. I'd also lose the image in the background, it's distracting. You don't have to remove it entirely, but at least move it down to a corner, along with either your name, email address or portfolio URL if you have one.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more work.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    I wish I started modeling at such a young age... good on you, dude. Not a bad first model.

Sean's right, it seems pretty glossy for metal, and for the presentation -- you should try to stick your logo somewhere not blocked by your work :)

Keep modeling and sharing your work. ...Do they have 3d courses in high schools yet? :P
  • KingCobra3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too bad for a first model! There's not much to critique due to it's simplicity, however. If anything I would say the reflections seem a bit too glossy, but that's without seeing any reference for the object. Since you seem to know the basics, I think you should just go ahead and attempt the entire weapon. Jumping in the deep end can be a great way to learn, especially when you have Polycount there to help along the way.

I would fix up the presentation a bit as well. First, the mesh is only using about half of the image. I personally make it a general rule to have the actual work take up no less the 80% or so of the image when presenting models and/or textures and to avoid too much negative space. I'd also lose the image in the background, it's distracting. You don't have to remove it entirely, but at least move it down to a corner, along with either your name, email address or portfolio URL if you have one.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more work.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll start a full weapon and post some progress pics here. I actually continued to go small with pistols. I have a few but I just refused to texture them lol. I will start texturing one and then post some progress pics as well. Maybe today or tomorrow.
  • KingCobra3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 wrote: »
    I wish I started modeling at such a young age... good on you, dude. Not a bad first model.

Sean's right, it seems pretty glossy for metal, and for the presentation -- you should try to stick your logo somewhere not blocked by your work :)

Keep modeling and sharing your work. ...Do they have 3d courses in high schools yet? :P

No lol :p .. I'm going to a technical institute in 10th grade. They might :/.
    But if they don't, I'll take web design since I can make a website with no
    problem. Thanks for the feedback btw.
  • KingCobra3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started making an Ak12 and decided to texture and show that mag first. This is Low Poly + Normal Map + Diffuse + Specular. Still working on it though. The bullets have hard edges because I don't know how to fix that in marmoset toolbag but, any recommendations?

Btw, I also started my portfolio site : http://kingcobra3d.cu.cc and I played with the specular maps for a bit, you can find the silencer there.

1000576_393099554123831_700139144_n.png

625483_393099560790497_1476651721_n.png