Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

where to look for photo references for sci-fi junk?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
This is gonna be kinda text heavy so bear with me pleace
So I just started a modular scene based on some concept art that I like.

passage-1.jpg

I really like the overall style/look of this hallway. Currently just blocking it out/working out major proportions so I don't have anything that exciting to show.

However since it's a fairly loose/blurry concept, esp. when it comes to the door and the assembly around it, I was wondering how I should go about filling in the secondary/tertiary/ancillary forms, since those are largely undefined. My concepting skills are fairly minimal, so I was wondering if there's any good places where people look for photo-references for that kinda stuff.

For instance that more recessed techy area underneath the door - I tried looking up submarine/tank hatches but didn't really find anything equivalent.

Or like all the glowy consoles or whatever around it. For stuff like this (working with looser concepts), do people just fill in the difference with their imagination? I know it's hugely important to utilize photo reference for sci-fi stuff to make it believable, but I'm having trouble finding good reference. Is it just a question of coming up with proper Google Image search queries/phrasing?

Replies

• PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think there's a set way of filling in, as you put it. Sometimes you draw from what you've done before, sometimes things in the real world catch your fancy, sometimes your design is actually drawn from something else and so you pursue that (which is to say, you're basing your spaceship off of submarines, so grab details from submarines)

I think the first thing I would do is ask myself, what is this machinery for? Is it for moving the door? Or is it for passing stuff through the sealed bulkhead (electricity, liquids, heat/air)? Or both? Depending on how techy you want it to look, I'd look inside of car engines, rocket engines, spacestations, submarines, etc. I know you didn't find useful submarine hatch stuff, but you don't need to be quite so literal. Look for other cool stuff that has nothing to do with the door. All of these things will have exposed parts and lots of cool stuff.

I did a quick search for portable generators, check this out: link

There's all sorts of neat stuff on the side of the silver motor housing. Make that guy bigger, slap a few other tech things on it, and you have a nice high-frequency tech detail to cram into a vaguely techy part of the concept.

Another one: link

Obviously you'd skip the plastic vent cap since it doesn't look futuristic, but the other stuff has this heavy industrial look which would fit right in. Look at the very bottom of this page on Phillip Klevestav's tutorial: http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/modular_sets/modular_sets.html
    He's got some very contemporary design details, but it still feels high-tech and (used) futuristic.

Another good resource is to do what the guys who made all that awesome 70s and 80s sci-fi did: kitbash! They did it literally, but there's no reason for you to avoid doing it digitally. Take a look at kits for tanks and airplanes, and copy and modify parts. It'll be easier if you can get photos of the parts while they're still attached to the sprues.

EDIT: To me this concept feels like an 70's - 80's sci-fi used future look, like you see in Alien or Star Wars. That's why I'm suggesting that you look at modern day tech and adapt it to suit. Even then, it can look super cool to mix high tech futuristic curvy-plastic exteriors with contemporary tech like pipes and cast-steel engine casings etc.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the detailed reply - all really good points! I guess reference doesn't necessarily have to be drawn from the direct real-word analogue of whatever you're modelling as long as it looks like it vaguely fits.

Philip K has some really great techy stuff on that page and I've definetely used it as ref/inspiration before.

I just goggled some pics of model kit parts for tanks and they do actually have some sweet interchangeable/multipurpose techy detail!

EDIT: as i write this I am also conducting a thorough google image search for warhammer 40k model parts on sprues, they're turning out to provide some really good references!
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    PatJS wrote: »

Another good resource is to do what the guys who made all that awesome 70s and 80s sci-fi did: kitbash! They did it literally, but there's no reason for you to avoid doing it digitally. Take a look at kits for tanks and airplanes, and copy and modify parts.

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but can anyone explain what kitbashing is?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but can anyone explain what kitbashing is?

Basically it means: Take what you have and make something new out of it.

For characters it could mean: Make your human into an elf
    For environments it could mean: Take the building you already made and use the parts to make a new building.

If you look at typical sci-fi games, maybe Hawken or something you can kitbash together different mechs with the same type of parts, ensuring the art-style you already had set for the first mech you made.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya and it actually comes from the ancient dark past before CGI was widespread. When they were making star wars and wanted general surface detail for their ships or whatever they would slap on parts of model kits in order to populate the surfaces with high-frequency detail..
  • JacobStone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might help you, I came across this a while back when I was trying to model something every night. http://pinterest.com/itchynick/ They have things really well organized and is spot on what I am usually looking for. Hope this helps!
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacobStone wrote: »
    This might help you, I came across this a while back when I was trying to model something every night. http://pinterest.com/itchynick/ They have things really well organized and is spot on what I am usually looking for. Hope this helps!

Hey, just checked this thread again after a while, just wanted to say thanks - that is an awesome resource!