Home General Discussion

Is there an age limit to get into the industry?

Hey, first off, I am sorry if there is a thread like this floating around already. I tried to search for it but the forum thought the search strings were too small (old, for instance).

I'm sure a few of you may ask location or desired position so I'll leave that here in case it helps with anyone's answer. I'm in Dallas so I'm not too far away from some great developers here and in Austin. If I had my choice I would work with level design/environment development/asset development.

I'm in my late 20s, very late 20s. I just completed a degree that involves 3D game development. I'm still developing my skills. I'm probably at an intermediate level right now. I try to learn new techniques whenever I can, but I can be honest with my work and say that it definitely can be improved upon.

I know breaking in the industry is difficult, but is it impossible the older you get? I have no issue starting at the bottom of the barrel, but do hiring managers want a 30-35 year old junior designer? I was a bit older than some of the other students so I see all these younger kids and it concerns me a bit. I went to school part time when I had the chance while I worked. As of now I still have no choice but to work a job I don't generally enjoy and that isn't in the field at all so I can keep the bills paid. I'm not saying this part to whine, I'm glad I have work right now, but I am saying it because I see it as both being older and having no professional experience in this particular field.

What I would like to do is buckle down now that I'm not torn between class assignments and a full time job to take the techniques I've acquired and produce actual production quality work instead of just quick tests to see if the techniques can be used in certain ways. Although, if it is increasingly difficult to get employed as age advances then I'd rather not waste so much time and effort in a war on futility and just move it into more of a hobby thing. Don't get me wrong, if I know there is a shot I'd keep on full speed, but I am a realist and that's why I want to try and get this question answered, or at least a little light shed on it by everyone who wants to participate.

Replies