Home General Discussion

Should I call to complain?

Hi,

I'm currently a Graphic Design student who's graduating in a couple of months. I have to find an internship by the end of the month in order to graduate. I was hoping to snag an internship with a gaming company, here in Montreal. Not as easy as I expected. I kept getting "No we're not taking interns at this time.", "We don't take interns." Quite odd because my internship is a 3 weeks and non-paid. It's a win-win for everyone. The best answer I got was when I called one company and the H.R. lady asks me "How did you get this number?", she yelled no and hung up the phone on me. I thought she was rude. I guess I'm young, dumb and naive thinking I could get in this industry so quickly.

I decided to venture out and start looking for a non video game industry internship, and it is still not easy. I called a good renowned company, I asked the H.R. lady if they accept interns for a graphic design position. She told me she would need to inform herself and she would call me back later. She called me back after 5 minutes, she told me no because they don't have a graphic department in-house, they outsource all their graphic works. I thanked her for calling me back.

Now, this morning I was browsing through Job Search Engines, like job boom, wow jobs, etc.... just to see which places I could call. I stumbled upon a job posting from the company I called yesterday. I clicked the job posting and it read "****** ********* of Canada is seeking a Graphic Designer for their Montreal office." I found that job posting on multiple job search engines. This really upsets me because the lady told me no they outsource. Should I call back to complain?

Thanks

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, what good will it do? At best nothing, at worst it will damage your reputation.

Now one thing I think is important: your assumption that internships are generally a win win is simply a falsehood. An inter is often a net-loss, especially an internship as short as 3 weeks. You will spend much more time asking questions and bothering productive employees than you will producing anything of value.

You think of it as free labor, but really you're receiving free education. Most studios simply do not have time to babysit students. This may seem harsh but it is the reality of the situation, unless your skill and experience level permits you to drop right into a studio and start producing artwork up to the standards of the production house, you're a net loss. Even experienced, veteran artists are going to take a few weeks to get up to speed working at a new studio.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    No, what good will it do? At best nothing, at worst it will damage your reputation.
    It's really upsetting they would lie to me. Why would they lie to me?
    Now one thing I think is important: your assumption that internships are generally a win win is simply a falsehood. An inter is often a net-loss, especially an internship as short as 3 weeks. You will spend much more time asking questions and bothering productive employees than you will actually producing anything of value.

You think of it as free labor, but really you're receiving free education. Most studios simply do not have time to babysit students.

I never thought of it that way. Also, it's not like I'm incompetent either. I guess it would fall into the category as being naive. I expected to call and hear "Yes come in and show us your portfolio while hold hands and sing together" I had it play differently in my head. Thankfully I did not closed-minded.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    yes, this will get you the job.

no seriously, it depends on what you're hoping the outcome will be. if you're calling them to get them to admit that they have an opening for this position you have to ask yourself why the HR would hide that fact.

I don't know what could be gained by calling them out on it, other than reinforcing your own suspicions.

Other than that i hope you land on your feet and get a good start in this industry :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_Adri wrote: »
    It's really upsetting they would lie to me. Why would they lie to me?

Any number of reasons, some of which may be entirely legitimately, for instance: "Yes we have a full team of designers on site but interns are useless", that may be the entirely honest answer, but its much more likely to cause the caller to flip his shit. If you're considering calling them back up and bitching at them for lying to you, you can sort of see why they would want to avoid these situations.

Also, do you know for a fact that the advertised position was even an on-site position? Or even the same office/branch of the company?

Really, the best advice I can give you: Keep your head down and keep working. Business is business, once you start taking it personally all you're going to do is upset yourself and possibly burn a lot of bridges.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice:

Forget about complaining and assume it was a mistake or a misunderstanding because that is probably what it was.

Apply again through whatever directions are specified in their job postings and don't mention that you called previously.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    My advice:

Forget about complaining and assume it was a mistake or a misunderstanding because that is probably what it was.

Apply again through whatever directions are specified in their job postings and don't mention that you called previously.

Yes, also this.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any number of reasons, some of which may be entirely legitimately, for instance: "Yes we have a full team of designers on site but interns are useless", that may be the entirely honest answer, but its much more likely to cause the caller to flip his shit. If you're considering calling them back up and bitching at them for lying to you, you can sort of see why they would want to avoid these situations.

Also, do you know for a fact that the advertised position was even an on-site position? Or even the same office/branch of the company?

I would have preferred if they told me "No, we don't accept interns at this time." than lying to me.

Yes, it was advertised on their onsite office. The posting said "****** ********* of Canada is seeking a Graphic Designer for their Montreal office." They only have one office in Montreal.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    My advice:

Should I have my friend or the school call? Just to see if they tell them something different...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I have my friend or the school call? Just to see if they tell them something different...

Why?

You understand the difference between accepting internships and looking to hire onsite staff right?

Again, what they told you could have been totally accurate, they do not have onsite designers, but are looking to hire one.

Assuming the worst case and getting all worked up about it is totally unproductive.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I wouldn't call them back personally, they probably have the wrong attitude anyway and you possibly dodged a bullet :) There's also the chance that the person on the phone was misinformed.

Some companies tend not to take on interns purely because they don't have the time to invest, it's kinda sad. Additionally, if they are developers who work under a publisher then it's likely that they won't allow it - this is what I've experienced anyway. If its a three week placement then it's likely that you spend the first week settling in, the second week learning the pipeline and the third week is your leaving party. You're far more likely to find it more welcoming in traditional graphic design.

Also I think you PM'd me a while back. I've actually moved to Montreal now. If I can help in any way then just let me know!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    No.

As mentioned, there could be legit reasons. Maybe this is the first in house graphic designer they're hiring for, maybe it's someone that is going to manage outsource art, who knows. Even if they have in house artists, they must not be looking for interns.

Get used to dealing with this type of stuff. You're going to get the run around during s job search, and most companies probably will not even respond back to your applications. Many people don't want you calling about jobs or showing up anyway, which is probably why that lady was pissed.

If an internship is required by your school, they really should be helping you with this. FYI, a lot of companies don't even have interns as it is a drain. They will get nothing out of having you there for 3 weeks.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a alcohol company.

I don't think they're hiring their first in house graphic designer because my friend who graduated just texted me, she was look an internship by searching Job search engines the same company was looking to hire Graphic Designers around November. She told me she never called them.

Maybe it's the best to move on and search for something else and not get worked up over this. My problem is I take too much things at heart.

I have to find my own internship because they us it's like finding a real job. Which I can understand. They told us they do this know because they had been burned by students in the past because a few have never showed up to the internship and two students had been arrested while interning.

Imyj, I remember you. You gave me really great advice back in December or January. You helped me out a lot and thank you for that.

I'll take this a learning experience.

-Never expect things to come easy
    -Don't be naive
    -Don't take thing at heart when people say no
    -Learn when to move on
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You should just remember companies are not a single autonomous entity. Every company is made up of a bunch of people that will tell you different things. It's nothing personal, sometimes HR has the wrong information. It's always best to just apply for work via the routes they give, and move on.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most companies don't keep their website super up to date.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah you should probably try to stop taking everything personal, I used to be a bit like this myself, and the only one getting hurt from that is yourself.

Companies and especially game companies and their employees are working under a lot of stress, a bit too much during some periods, which often leads to a bit of anger release and confusion at times.

So if not now then later you would probably have to get used to it.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Find out where she lives and then stand outside her window with a large boombox over your head.

You will either get a job or get arrested, but at least you will go out with style.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Take the energy you're investing in this, and use it to get closer to your goal. Whether that be contacting more companies, polishing your portfolio, or something else. Consider looking for some freelance work to pad both your 'folio and your resume. Make yourself more attractive to employers. The harsh truth is that this is business, and at this point they don't owe you anything. You have to develop a thick skin and try to apply your energies where they will be the most beneficial to you. Persistence is key, you can do it if you keep pushing on. Good luck!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Man you're taking this way too personally. There are tons of douches in the industry, if you get annoyed at people lying, try calling up recruiters and have them tell you they put you forward for a role, just to call back a week or 2 later enquiring about the same role and have them say "I don't remember you...have we spoken before?"

I would say just drop it and move on, if something seems like a dead end just drop it and try working on applying for something else, time is precious! Good luck :)
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I think school should stop with this bullshit 3 weeks interships. This might work well in highschool but not for much else. 3 weeks is not enough for you, or the company to benefit from the internship. I think an internship should be a minimal of 6 months.

Since 3 weeks is pretty much useless, you could lower your expectations a bit. Perhaps you should just take whatever you can get and get it over with.
    I do hope you got/will get the opportunity to do a proper internship somewhere.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    "****** ********* of Canada is seeking a Graphic Designer for their Montreal office."

i googled that and found out the place.

ahaha!

emailing them now since they outsource their work :D
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I have to find an internship by the end of the month in order to graduate.
    This still blows my mind.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Portfolio Link OP?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    searching for "of Canada is seeking a Graphic Designer for their Montreal office," this is the top result in google for me, with the actual brewery's ad being the second.

Personally, I totally think you should call and complain, make a big stink, etc, because that way they'll know exactly who to avoid hiring in the future.

They don't owe you anything, and while an unpaid internship is beneficial to you, it costs them a significant amount of money (hardware, software licenses, etc are easily thousands of dollars) and as an unpaid intern, US law states you cannot provide them anything of actual value (and I'm sure CA has even more employee-friendly laws to avoid abuse than the US does).

You're kind of going off the rails here when you shouldn't be. You need to learn some humility and understand that just because you think you're right or feel that someone has wronged you in a professional environment, you need to approach it with tact and professionalism.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just curious...after finding out that they are indeed looking for an internship...did you apply?
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I think your attitude sounds more entitled than naive. Like "I went to school for art and I like games, therefor I deserve to get an internship."

I don't know where you get the entitlement part? I'm just upset because I got lied to. This is my first time seeking my first "grown up"(I currently work at retail store)job, this is huge for me. I wasn't really expecting this. I would have preferred to have been told "we don't take interns". Again, this a whole new experience for me.

I've moved on and have been looking else where. I've gotten two call backs and I hope to land one.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I would be more pissed off at your school honestly. This BS of "find internship or you don't graduate" segment that many private organizations throw students is absolute rubbish. Especially since they're getting a part in Gov't aid.

Also, shouldn't they have a network in place to HELP YOU find a internship? I know many private places don't want to spend the cash, but in Montreal, you could, generally speaking, get into contact with someone from your local Gov't position related to educations and call them out on that?

I'm not trying to start a 'burn the school down' fiesta here, nor should you, especially since I don't know what you signed or agreed to, but it feels like you're being put into a corner from your school and under stress, are taking it out on an issue currently that is (most likely) stressing your further, from a company acting like any other company acts, posting job positions that most likely got filled up ages ago and are too lazy in updating their current information, and most likely HR haven't forwarded the interns the job listing manifesto (good luck if they do that in a week or two, let alone a month).

I would try and find ways to minimize any mental damages from here out, stressing yourself on this position isn't worth it (for now).
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I would be more pissed off at your school honestly. This BS of "find internship or you don't graduate" segment that many private organizations throw students is absolute rubbish. Especially since they're getting a part in Gov't aid.

Also, shouldn't they have a network in place to HELP YOU find a internship? I know many private places don't want to spend the cash, but in Montreal, you could, generally speaking, get into contact with someone from your local Gov't position related to educations and call them out on that?

I'm not trying to start a 'burn the school down' fiesta here, nor should you, especially since I don't know what you signed or agreed to, but it feels like you're being put into a corner from your school and under stress, are taking it out on an issue currently that is (most likely) stressing your further, from a company acting like any other company acts, posting job positions that most likely got filled up ages ago and are too lazy in updating their current information, and most likely HR haven't forwarded the interns the job listing manifesto (good luck if they do that in a week or two, let alone a month).

I would try and find ways to minimize any mental damages from here out, stressing yourself on this position isn't worth it (for now).

One of the teachers told me it's the School Board or Government, I can't remember which, who decided you need to intern.

The teachers told us they don't really like disclosing their contacts because of being burned by students in the past. Not Showing up, Stoned, Arrested, etc... They also say it's because you have to find your own job in the real world.

One of the teachers does have a contact who's searching for a u.i.(mobile games) person to take as an intern and then to hire. He won't disclose it to me until next week because we start the "Career Devp" module. In the mean time I continue searching, calling and emailing. This whole process has been discouraging, although I hope to find something. I hope one of those two call backs ends up paying off.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    One thing which does strike me as odd, let me know anyone if this is in fact how it is done in the US and Canada, but when I tried applying for internships just after high school I didn't call any of them up.

What I did do was put together a cover letter explaining what I wanted the internship for, what I hoped to get out of it and that I already had some experience to a degree. I got responses from all of them and got an internship which is now my subsequent job.

I just think your approaching it wrong, it sounds to me like you're treating an internship as though it were a job, I've never heard of someone applying through HR for an internship before. You would probably fair a lot better if you did some research, found out who runs or manages the graphics team and write up a letter direct to them, and be clear that you're a student interested in getting some real world experience and list your skills.

You should stress how interested you would be to 'work with you and your team', trust me, giving it a bit of a personal touch toward that specific place would be a good step toward giving them that key good first impression.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    They also say it's because you have to find your own job in the real world.

I call bullshit on that. While, yes, you do have to find your own job, part of going to college is getting that network that already exists from teachers and former students. Any half-decent college has career/intern placement facilities.

Sounds like you are going to a shitty school with equally lazy teachers.