Home Technical Talk

Is using life action footage for animation cheating?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I have noticed some animators use life action footage or act out scenes and then use them as reference when animating or some import the movie files and trace/pose their characters over the underlying life action footage to get quick results.
I think its okay to use footage as reference to enable u notice things u would have missed but I wonder if tracing or posing characters over imported life footage is okay.I remember someone mentioning that there's nothing wrong with tracing 2d or posing 3d models over a footage as long as the footage is ur own,used with permission or not stolen.

I have also noticed that a lot of animators frown at rotoscopy or using this form of animating.Most see it as cheating because the animation aspect is already achieved from the live footage and there is no brainwork involved.So in otherwords,u are just drawing rather than animating.Most animators are of the opinion that rotoscopy or rotoscopy related practices aren't and shouldn't be called animation.

If this is so,what about motion capture?Wouldn't it be an advanced form of rotoscopy and therefore cheating?I have also noticed some 2d animators animate in 3d using simple 3d models to block in their animations before taking them into a 2d animation app to flesh them out.Some even use motion capture before exporting to a 2d app.

What do u think about these techniques?Do u think its cheating or they are worthy of the name animation?

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    nah its not cheating, lots of older disney movies were animated this way. the key is to remember that even though anyone can trace a frame by frame recording, it takes an understanding of timing, weight and posing to bring out the life in those frames
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    I guess that's true.Perhaps what's important is getting the job done and not how it was done cause in truth,the clients really don't care.All they want to see is the final result.