Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Komodo assault system

So lately I've been thinking about making assets for the Unity store, like a gun or something, but that's sort of boring right? So instead I've teamed up with dfacto (Martin Shapev) to work on a modular weapons system.

Martin is doing the concepts, and I feel like its progressing to the point where we can show it off.

Komodo01.gif

^ This is roughly how it will work, plus attachments of course.

komodo01.jpg

^ And a breakdown of the overall system, though a few bits have been tweaked since this image.

This is all Martin's work so far of course, next its my turn to do some blockouts.

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    And this is each weapon type as a standalone:
    wpsk.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    This is ridiculous. Ridiculously cool I mean.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Really awesome. Nice work on the concepts! Can't wait to see the models
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    This is pretty damn awesome :)
    Nothing to critic so far.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    lol what do you think this is, borderlands 2
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    if you want good reference for modular weapons, all of planetside 2s weapons were modular

this is looking awesome!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Brilliant! Can't wait to see the 3d version of these.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very, very smart idea. Good concept work, can't wait to see the models.
  • RoadKill2222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, modular weapons. That's dope dude.
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff, that little pistol reminds me of a gun from Perfect Dark for the N64 way back in the day.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Racer445 wrote: »
    :) Exactly my thought.

Cept I thought BL1. Cause...Common. Bl1 was the shit.

Looking awesome guys! can't wait to see some Highs.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Best thing I've seen all day.
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff quake..plz include a LMG ..something small as LSAT...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This is awesome! I tried to do something like this years ago but I could never pull it off. Your system is so simple and it looks so good!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting project - I'm curious to see how you solve some of the attachment problems in 3D. There seem to be many opportunities for creative reconciliation of function and aesthetic in a modular system like this.
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.gunstruction.net/Gunstruction.html There is a studio in orlando doing that, but this is for real guns. Done in unity.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    Racer445 wrote: »

Haha yeah, but without that wonderful 2500 ingame vert limit or whatever it was.
    DKK wrote: »
    Very exciting project, I really want to know how you handle textures, and how it's gonna sell.

I have no idea how well or if it will sell, the goal is really to make a system that is generic and flexible enough that it would have a wide market. I think this sort of system would work for someone who wants to build a single asset, someone who wants to add a modular weapon system for player customization, and also a random-drop type borderlands system. We've tried to design the guns so they could fit in modern realistic type shooters, and also near-future sci-fi type shooters as well. I feel like this covers a pretty wide range, but I'm worried that the whole concept will be too specific still to have that much interest.

As far as textures, I have a few ideas:
    1. There are basically 4 variations of the main parts, so I could create 4 textures and fit all of the swappable parts in the same uv space (so all upper receivers in the same uv space). Then we could have some scripts that merge only the active parts into a unique texture. This would probably be best if you wanted to make singular assets. Though this system would also work (without the texture merging) in a multi-player type game where all of the variations would likely need to be loaded in memory anyway. This also makes baking/texture creation more manageable.
    2. Give each swappable part its own unique texture. Then you only load what you need, but this would be real inefficient as far as draw calls go.
    3. Put everything on a huge 4096 or something.... probably won't do this.
    4. I could also group all like-type (ie all scopes) on a unique texture, though I'm not sure what sort of advantage this would bring.

I'm leaning towards #1, but I would love to hear any other suggestions on how to manage the texture content, as that is really the biggest technical hurdle we will have to deal with.
    harricool wrote: »
    awesome stuff quake..plz include a LMG ..something small as LSAT...

Nice suggestion, however I think we're going to try to limit it to the parts we have now for the most part, just to keep the workload manageable. Though I am going to try and make sure that we can add more assets to the system later.
    Interesting project - I'm curious to see how you solve some of the attachment problems in 3D. There seem to be many opportunities for creative reconciliation of function and aesthetic in a modular system like this.

The main sections (upper receive+barrel, lower+grip+mag, stock) will all have fixed positions and swap like you see in the gif. The underbarrel attachments, scopes, and muzzle/silecner will likely have specific positions tagged on each corresponding part for each variation (Similar to how the Brink system worked).

I think that should basically cover it, but if you spot any specific concerns there please feel free to let us know.

The SMG and Pistol variant will be limited in what can be attached (no underbarrel attachment for either, and no stock on the pistol).
    ScubaSteve wrote: »
    http://www.gunstruction.net/Gunstruction.html There is a studio in orlando doing that, but this is for real guns. Done in unity.

Cool, thanks for the link! My first thought was actually to do a system based off of the AR system, but I wasn't sure if there would be a wide appeal there, and I wanted to do some unique concepts.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »

The main sections (upper receive+barrel, lower+grip+mag, stock) will all have fixed positions and swap like you see in the gif. The underbarrel attachments, scopes, and muzzle/silecner will likely have specific positions tagged on each corresponding part for each variation (Similar to how the Brink system worked).

I think that should basically cover it, but if you spot any specific concerns there please feel free to let us know.

The SMG and Pistol variant will be limited in what can be attached (no underbarrel attachment for either, and no stock on the pistol).

I was referring mainly to the micro level. Currently the concepts do not inform of the mechanics involved in mating all the different parts together. For example mating a different trigger assemblies to different receivers. What if I want to mate the trigger from the sniper rifle onto the pistol - what sorts of advantages and disadvantages would that present. I find such design challenges the most interesting part of this project. They also offer the opportunity to do cool cross section renders showing how all the parts interact with each other under the hood, so to speak.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I was referring mainly to the micro level. Currently the concepts do not inform of the mechanics involved in mating all the different parts together.

It's mostly super glue, but some duct tape is also involved.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was referring mainly to the micro level. Currently the concepts do not inform of the mechanics involved in mating all the different parts together. For example mating a different trigger assemblies to different receivers. What if I want to mate the trigger from the sniper rifle onto the pistol - what sorts of advantages and disadvantages would that present. I find such design challenges the most interesting part of this project. They also offer the opportunity to do cool cross section renders showing how all the parts interact with each other under the hood, so to speak.

Ah yeah, I think these designs will require a bit of suspension of dis-belief when it comes to the ultra-realism of designing and modeling internals and making everything so that it would physically function in real life. This just isn't a design goal for us, and we feel that it adds certain restrictions that limit the ability to do some more creative and interesting combinations, like the very forward placed mag in the SMG lower.

We are concerned with making everything appear believable, ie: bullets come from mag at roughly the plane of the barrel and things like that, but not to the level of total mechanical workability.

We considered keeping the lower basically the same, and we could keep all of the ejection ports basically the same to solve these sort of issues, but then you really cut down on the uniqueness of the designs.

Also, we're letting you create a scoped-auto-silenced-sniper-shotgun, not a very realistic combination, so there is an element of tongue-in-cheak to the design as well. We welcome a bit of absurdity here.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    lol dod_smg_weapon_inner_workings.jpg

yeah my only quibble is that i know dfacto can crank some way more interesting designs, but for the brief of doing some real nice modular pieces for the unity asset store? these are perfect, exactly as near-future-tech-generic as they ought to be.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss wrote: »
    lol dod_smg_weapon_inner_workings.jpg

yeah my only quibble is that i know dfacto can crank some way more interesting designs, but for the brief of doing some real nice modular pieces for the unity asset store? these are perfect, exactly as near-future-tech-generic as they ought to be.

Yeah totally, I think its a bit of a compromise, but I didn't want to do anything too crazy out there. Getting way ahead of myself knowing my own propensity for actually finishing personal projects, but if this works it would be cool to explore a full on crazy sci-fi set or something.
  • jp3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jp3d polycounter lvl 9
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Are these going to be rigged as well?
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    "scoped-auto-silenced-sniper-shotgun"

Subbed.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really like they way this is going and the bit of absurdity, still needs a bayonet attachment though.