Home Technical Talk

Cinema 4D or Maya 2014 for game development

giakaama
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
giakaama polycounter lvl 9
Hi, I was wondering which one is better as a good investment on the long run to do all the 3D content (Low Poly, UV, Animation etc ) for a Indie Game ?

Thank you

Replies

• osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Better is hard to answer, but Maya would be the better investment in my opinion. More resources online to learn from and more companies that use it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Any specific feature you need? Because it really depends where you're coming from and where you want to go. If you want to bring other people on board then choosing a program that's popular on the market will make your project more attractive to join for them. If your indy adventure is just an in-between job and you plan to move on to a big studio instead then Osman is right and you could use Maya or Max to get experience (even though tools aren't that big an issue when hiring someone one unless they're very specialized) .
    If all this is of no concern, money usually is for an indie, and you might want to look into Blender - more here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72805
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    maya has a lot of features that you will want to use when making games, I used cinema 4d to make mobile games for 2 years before switching to maya and maya is by far superior in useful features like for example the vertex colour/alpha painting in maya....try do that in c4d and well I dont think you can?
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    if you can afford it, use maya.
    it's an industry standard and good knowledge of this package will make your life in the future much easier, when you want to work for or with bigger studios.
  • giakaama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    giakaama polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you for the answers, the question I was asking was because I know lots of games developers are using Maya and I know it's the industry standard ( indies too ), but I don't really know if any games developers are using Cinema 4d and if Cinema has tools oriented to game development, or is only for movies, commercials (rendered stuff) !

Both packages have the same price range !

If one buys Cinema4d it has a painting application, with the rest of rigging and animation ( which Maya can provide ), didn't knew about it doesn't have vertex painting !

In my work I use Modo and Blender so I can say I know blender ! :)

Thank you
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    We use Cinema for production stuff at work, I would not recommend it for game assets. In my experience of all the things, the uv editor is unusable with how it handles uv splits .
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    maya, by a long shot, good feature set, industry standard application, very extendable with python scripts and it;s API's.

if i had to choose a app that wasn't one of the big 3 maya, max or xsi, i would go with modo, which still requires a lot of 3rd party add-ons to get all the needed functionally for games that maya and max got out of the box