Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crate Variants

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
For this project I have been trying to nail material definition. I have been using a concept from Elijah McNeal (http://elijah.cghub.com/) that he was kind enough to let me use for this project.

Crates.jpg

I liked the idea of it being a very similar shape/purpose but it being able to be used in 3 different genres.

So far I have done the wooden and Military Grade Plastic, but wanted feedback on what I have so far.

bbb1d54e7c.png

27e8597eb0.png

c8c871ca4a.png

d93bcb6f6b.png

729e73e95c.png

c38e46e3ad.png

339abf02af.png

a135b0b3a4.png

457f7a9e95.png

I'm really quite happy with how the wood one came out, but would appreciate any feedback on how I can improve them both. Also fairly new to using gloss maps properly, so any suggestions on that front would be great too. Will update when the futuristic one is further along.

Replies

• Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, man! You're doing pretty well I think. I was planning to get around to painting these properly, but I'm in crunch and don't have personal time at the moment. Keep it up and do moar!

I would suggest looking as some micro detail images of crates and other things pertaining to the images I made. Remember, these are just sketches to communicate an idea. Think of taking thing a step further. A good example of the plastic container you did. Think about gaskets where the lid closes, maybe an inset around the handle, etc.
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thanks for commenting on my thread, really appreciate it :)

I was originally was just going to do these 3 as texture practice, but might move on to another 3 so I have more of a set. For these first ones I was just trying to get the materials down while following your concepts quite closely. But for my next ones I think I will try to push details further and add extra bits like you say.

I have started the texturing on the Futuristic one. Here's what I have so far

0bd7e77a8c.jpg

7409e12416.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you modelling the rivets on the wooden chest instead of just relying on the normal map? While they do appear in the profile, it's only from a very close and low view point. At the moment they seem to use most of the polygons in the chest.
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    Why are you modelling the rivets on the wooden chest instead of just relying on the normal map? While they do appear in the profile, it's only from a very close and low view point. At the moment they seem to use most of the polygons in the chest.

When I used just the normal map, they appeared very flat. It seemed silly to try and focus so much on getting the materials to look right, only for the illusion to be broken by very flat rivets. They are also the type on a barrel so wanted to be very chunky in appearance.

I have done more to the Future crate, although not quite happy with how it is looking, I am unsure where to take it next. suggestions or crit very welcome.

e09d4d8252.jpg
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JurassicPerk polycounter lvl 6
    I like what you are doing man! At the moment the futuristic crate is the one I like less: in particular I think the texturing is its weak part. Have you tried using Quixel Ddo to create the dirt/scratches?
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you are doing man! At the moment the futuristic crate is the one I like less: in particular I think the texturing is its weak part. Have you tried using Quixel Ddo to create the dirt/scratches?

Yeah, I also like that one least. I am tempted to give dDo a ago, see how it turns out. If anything, just as an exercise to learn dDo :)

Thanks.
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went in a new direction with the Futuristic one, much happier with how it turned out

502f5a74cd.jpg