Home General Discussion

Assets or environment

Hey guys

Im currently working on my portfolio.

If I should work on something for my portfolio what would it be, I mean props/assets or a whole environment.

what do you guys think?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That's a very open question. What are we dealing with here? (current portfolio)

Though I prefer full scenes as a complete diorama presentation.
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im about to look for a job so it should be used for that
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    What type of job? Do you want to be an Environment Artist, or do you want to be strictly a prop/asset artist? It would also help if we could see your current work, as Chris said. In general I think it's probably better to show you can do more than just props, but if your props are amazing, and you know you just want to do props, then by all means, keep doing props.

We need more information on what you want, and what your current situation is before anyone will be able to say, you should do X over Y.
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats the problem, I dont really know what I want to be :)

Here you can see some of my work
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Environments are probably the best bet... they contain props too :) It shows a more broad skill-set (Lighting, composition, etc. ) plus I've seen more openings for Environment Artist rather than prop artist.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Then again, 90% of the time someone writes "environment artist" they do mean prop artist. Its also often called world artist vs environment artist. People who do props are not often called "prop artists", its usually "environment artist" or just 3d-artist.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    What aajohnny said, It's also very likely that you'll get punted from prop to environment fairly soon aswell anyway.
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    Echoing the environment sentiment. You'll have lots of chances to make props, and also get the benefit of using those props in context as opposed to isolation. If you aren't sure which direction to go in, exploring environments should give you a good feel for making unique vs. modular assets so you can figure out what you enjoy the most.

Also, something to consider is whether you're looking for a studio position or freelance. Based on my observations, props are generally easier and less risky to outsource to a freelancer. But don't take that as a hard rule, as there are probably artists that can prove otherwise.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Decide on a vignette to create and create the assets for it. Showcase your vignette with beauty shots and showcase each hero asset separately. If you decided to take a modular approach to your vignette, showcase the modularity of the pieces together.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the last couple games I have worked on 70-80% of the assets were outsourced whereas the level artist team was about 15 people strong, placing, lighting, composing environments etc. I would focus on a couple really strong environment pieces that show: lighting, composition and texture knowledge.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    If you're an environment artist that has a good grasp on props/lighting you'll be more useful for a variety of projects
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys.

thank you for your input.

I will try to make an environment scene :)
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I have another question for environment.

Is it "okay" to make my environment out of a concept I find or should I try to make my own concept?
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    Yes it's ok, just give credit to the concept artist. In a production environment you'll often have to work off others' concepts. Depending on the situation you may have more freedom, and therefore would need some design skills.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure some people will say it's going overboard but I try to contact the concept artist beforehand to make sure they are cool with it.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    razzta91 wrote: »
    Then I have another question for environment.

Is it "okay" to make my environment out of a concept I find or should I try to make my own concept?

Its a mixture, its important you can demonstrate what you intended to achieve. To help understand here is what I look for in a portfolio and why.

Composition, Mood and Lighting - They can independently put a beautiful scene together.
    Technical Ability - They would be able to get straight to work without any help.
    Reference - When given direction they would execute it accurately.

Also just to add, something you can't really demonstrate in your portfolio but a lot of companies care about an artists attention to design. Its a balance between loving what you do and wanting to make the most visually stunning environments possible, but also to make the best games possible. Its important to understand the compromises you need to make to give the player the best experience. But generally speaking that's something that will come with experience.
  • razzta91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for advices :)

Now im ready to make something cool ;)