Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Painterly] My First Painterly Texture - Critique

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
Hello all!

I just recently joined Polycount and I finally started to learn how to properly paint and texture. I would appreciate any criticism, this is a skill that I would like to improve on drastically.

Rock_Practice.jpg

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Image isn't loading :-S
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grrr... Dropbox won't let me share stuff. Reuploading.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    I d say the texture itself and the technique are good, the thing that bothers me is the actual formations that happen in there.
    If I understand correctly this is a rock texture, but the shapes of the "islands" point more towards something organic.
    Hope this helped!
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
    hand painting textures has an interesting learning curve :) when you hand paint a texture you want to start with base information. like make the rock texture without any cracks and make sure it tiles in all 4 directions. this will enable you to use it more in the future.

It is also important to think about what kind of material it is. Is it mud? Slate? Limestone? Sandstone? Each material has its own properties. some materials will have sharper edges while others will have smoother and more subtle detail.

Think about where your light is coming from and make sure that is mostly consistent. Adding very very very subtle color variations can help with the over all composition. Usually the highlights will have a warmer color while shadows will have a slightly cooler color.

Its a good start and a good direction :)
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
    How do you embed a youtube video in these forums?

http://youtu.be/aI3y0-zqW-M
  • Ranko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    stick with sharper brushes to start out with, nothing fancy.. just use the base Photoshop brush with opacity jitter turned on. It will really help you get textures that read better and look less washed out.Also dont overdo it on the cracks, it looks a bit un-natrual, often times less is better. Also, your dark crack sections have a highlight to them, try to avoid that.. its contradicting what you are trying to do to begin with.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate all the input guys, I'll make some improvements to this one and take notes for the future :P
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had more time to work on my textures and get some more done for the game that I'm working on. I was hoping for more feedback :P These are two tileable textures that I created for the environments that we're working on.

Grass_01_D.jpg

Snow_01_D.jpg