Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review- Ranko Prozo (Environment Art)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ranko polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone, I have just put together my new portfolio site. Please feel free to take a look, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

http://www.rankoprozo.com/

Replies

• Laze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is epic, but to me the layout and colour scheme feel a bit childish. It's a nice big layout which is good, but the super saturated orange and giant thick text everywhere kills it for me. That could just be a personal preference though, but let's see what others think.

I like browsing through minimalist portfolios with clean colour and next to no colour scheme.

Oh yeah, you might wanna swap the image format out too, use optimized JPEGS for less bandwidth and when people browse your large folio pictures they should pretty much load instantly. I have a 10 meg internet connection and some of those large PNG files slowly revealed themselves, felt a bit awkward to wait lol.
  • Ranko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah good points,thank you. Its my first time putting together a page this large :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I think the layout is really nice and straight forward, though not a huge fan of the current header image you have. Its not bad, it just feels slapped on there and kinda felt like the work was going to be sub-par until I really started looking through your sea of awesome work.

The work definitely makes up for any issues with the layout and the header image, but if you spent time on the overall presentation of the header and the branding, I think you will have quite the portfolio site. Nonetheless, bookmarked in my inspiration folder ;) Super awesome stuff.
  • Ranko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I like the site but i think you could cull out some of the weaker pieces and really stick with just your best work. Might also put the shipped game art first .
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to include the original concept for the pieces based on one.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Sick work! With those skills I'm certain you could make a kick ass header too.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    There is some major changing you have to do with the website. First its insane big.
    I have a 2560x1440 monitor and I can only get half of the page at one screen size.

Your headliner is obscene big, well everything is really big.

"Environment artist" has a terrible layouting, dont put it there, theres no space for it around and no reason for it to be there. 'Also dont make it orange aswell, the name and the highlights are more than enough.

The whole headliner about half the size, still very big then, but more tasteful.
    Put away the .com, and choose other layer styles. The gradient is nice, but not if you use it twice. So no color for env. artist. Right now it looks like a cheap ad with the .com and the sizes.

If you use strokes, then use them in adobe illustrator, photoshop ones are ugly and not vector based. On the text its somewhat ok, but paint them yourself on your "R". (id recommend no strokes for this design tho)

Also the R is not strong enough to counter-weigh the rest of the text.
    Just make it more simple, your 3 buttons and your bottom highlights are minimalist and use flat design (which is looking good), so why make your text so toony ?

You use a really intense font there, Impact if im not mistaken, this is a font you usually only find on internet memes, not for tasteful presentation.
    If you like the style of it, search for a good condensed font which is maybe a little less intense.

The 3 buttons look good, just make sure your text spacing is right.
    Same for the text in the preview images, its glued at the bottom while there is a lot of space, put it midways if possible.

Work is looking good, just ditch that dump truck, you will always measured by your worst piece, maybe do a selection in general. Its too much for anyone to click through.
  • Catchingdusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catchingdusk polycounter lvl 10
    I really dig the overall layout! I like the colors you used (I don't mind the orange) but I felt that the top header is wayyy too big. On my 22" monitor, it takes up nearly a quarter of the screen. It's good to make your name visible on your site, but you don't want it overshadowing your work :)
  • Ranko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    This is all fantastic advice, thank you so much. I haven't had much experience making portfolio pages, this is a learning experience for me.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    really stellar work. The very first thing i clicked was FPS Assets. and To be honest I had no idea what i was even looking at, and I quickly moved on to another section. The first asset resembles a bug/spaceship. I wasn't sure of the scale of it. I didn't see obvious cockpit glass so I don't know if its a robot, ship, or what. I can appreciate the high poly work, but as a first thing I see I was like huh what? Same with the pillar of light, it's so chalk full of detail, its got horns, half people sticking out of it. A rock texture mixed with what looks like metal, just wasn't sure what was going on. SO from my perspective show other work first and put that section in the middle or end, whichever. Your other work is fantastic. Really nice hand painted work
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Lov your work! got some really nice handpainted stuff. If you dont' mind me asking. How do you usually approach handpainted textures? The steps you take. Do you bake AO and work from there? etc
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    omg straight to my ref and inspiration folder. awesome stuff!
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome portfolio man- very versatile. I really like your hand painted Blizzard stuff. No crits for me :)
  • Ranko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks everyone. Yeah I do not use any AO for my hand painted textures, I paint everything from the ground up.I generally start with some type of gradient and then work my way up to the larger shapes and then small details. Nothing fancy, just some old school painting.