Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[prop] power generator

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
Hi PC. :)

I made a power generator recently.

Indoor use (just no direct sun/rain exposure), working, slightly weathered here and there, never cleaned (who would clean it anyway, huh).

3k triangles, 2 texture sets (spec, nor, diff). Took me about one full day (20-25h).

(Not on my website yet).

generator_1.jpg
generator_2.jpg
generator_3.jpg
generator_4.jpg
generator_5.jpg
generator_6.jpg
generator_9.jpg
generator_10.jpg
generator_7.jpg
generator_8.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it! Nice work.

Crits:
    - You choose to float some details over the surface, like the vent on the side and the boxes on top? In general that leads to wasted space on the UV's (the dark boxes on in the middle/top of your first texture sheet?). Most of the time a few more polys to connect those pieces won't cause the scene to chug, but if it lets you use the texture space more efficiently then its a win. Sure you can put something else inside the dead zone but then baking becomes a bit of a headache.

- The band around the pipe could have been attached to the main muffler mesh with a few more polys and unwrapped to the same space using up the dead area, making the texture more efficient and the textures easier to work with.

- I think you could have used one 1024px sheet and hit the same look. The pixel density is off by quite a bit, the vent on the side takes up almost as much space on the 2nd UV layout as the entire side of the generator in the first. You should apply a checker pattern and make sure that pixels are being evenly distributed.

- There are a few details that could be mirrored or stacked and no one would be any wiser. For example the bottom of the generator takes a pretty sizeable part of the 2nd UV layout. If that poly was cut in half it could be mirrored, if it was quartered it could take up only 1/4th of the space it does now and no one would probably notice.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model looks great, what did you use to render? Did you use floating geometry ? Im not a fan of ow you are showcasing the UV sheet the the normal square that way
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with all the crits above but just wanted to say this looks awesome. well executed. Also really like your presentation.

I actually have a crit for your website. I like the way your framing your work but it may benefit you to make your front page thumbnails 50% to 75% larger. I just wanted to see a bit more of what i want to click on :)

keep up the good work
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Model and textures look great. Really good material definition!
    I agree with nick2730 about the presentation of your texture flats. Personally I think it looks a bit chaotic at the first sight but thats the only crit I have! :)
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark: Thanks for the crit! The area covered by the side vent is shown on the other side of the generator.

I forgot to include Sketchfab view (somehow I cannot embed it - button seems to not work at all):

https://sketchfab.com/show/bkz7li1WZX7PQSmbjxG9Gszo1ek

Also, I intended the second texture to be 512 finally, though I decided to leave it 1k for presentation, since it contain elements that can be considered as details. In 512 the UV res match quite close.

Most of the things are mirrored/duplicated. Side walls/panels, door joints, handles etc. But as you said, I could done it better.

Thanks a lot for the advices! :)

@nick2730: I used Marmoset Toolbag. And yeah, I used FG.

@Frozan: I will think about it, however im quite satisfied with how it looks now. :P

@AkiRa: Thanks, I'll take that into consideration when I will be updating my website.

Thanks for the comments folks.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great job, did you use ddo to texture ?
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I made the textures using PS.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Saw this on the WAYWO thread :)

Really nice job. The Marmoset renders and the high-poly are awesome. Was there any ZBrush involved or was it strictly polygonal modeling and floaters?
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    looking good
    i like the colors a lot :) nice renders
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Really digging this. I am also a big fan of the continuity in your presentation, i.e, the logo also in the texture presentation, it's a nice touch.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @leleuxart: Thanks. One thing - I didn't show highpoly there. ^^' No zbrush involved, just poly modeling.

@SnowInChina, @J0NNYquid: Thank you. :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your diffuse looks very blurry, you could do better there. Maybe sharpen up a bit and add some more detail. The scratches on the spec are completely unrealistic, how would that happen ? Rest is looking good tho
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    Your diffuse looks very blurry, you could do better there. Maybe sharpen up a bit and add some more detail. The scratches on the spec are completely unrealistic, how would that happen ? Rest is looking good tho

But which scratches you mean? The random/generic ones are for the stickers (intended to be glossy), which catch them really easily. I tried to place the other scratches logicaly though, so I'm quite confused which elements you can mean now.

Also I don't think that sharpening will help in any way - because the object contains a lot of flat and undetailed surfaces, so what can be sharpened there without distorting the image?
  • bohater13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bohater13 polycounter lvl 9
    Bardzo fajny model!
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Beautiful work!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I don't have any crits to add but this looks amazing, good job!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think it looks pretty good. Maybe could use some more contrast in the diffuse as it looks a little flat.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    KMiklas wrote: »
    But which scratches you mean? The random/generic ones are for the stickers (intended to be glossy), which catch them really easily. I tried to place the other scratches logicaly though, so I'm quite confused which elements you can mean now.

Also I don't think that sharpening will help in any way - because the object contains a lot of flat and undetailed surfaces, so what can be sharpened there without distorting the image?

I meant the ones on the right on your texture sheet, you just drew in circles over the surface with a thin brush there

It dosnt matter how flat your surface is or what is on them. Its about the transistion between color and lightness, and its all so soft and washed out. It looks fine on your renders, but its hard to see any detail properly on them, and if you show off your diffuse then its worth the adjusting. Maybe just use a little smart sharpen to reduce the softness, and be careful on painting with a big soft brush over everything, you painted right over the shadow areas with white and such.

Also, one little thing which is important, leave your logo some space between it and your name, you do it right on your page
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    I meant the ones on the right on your texture sheet, you just drew in circles over the surface with a thin brush there

Those are the stickers. :P
    It dosnt matter how flat your surface is or what is on them. Its about the transistion between color and lightness, and its all so soft and washed out. It looks fine on your renders, but its hard to see any detail properly on them, and if you show off your diffuse then its worth the adjusting. Maybe just use a little smart sharpen to reduce the softness, and be careful on painting with a big soft brush over everything, you painted right over the shadow areas with white and such.
    You have and at once don't have right. Mind that diffuse actually sets colour of a surface, and the "white brush areas" here are... dust, which usually greys the surface it falls on (it is not a paint desaturation due to weathering - that doesnt happen in interiors that much). You can notice it on the smaller box's top. I'm aware I covered some diffuse shadows, but with company of normal and specular map it doesn't actually make a difference here.

Also, I still really don't think there is something needing sharpening.

Anyway, thank you for the detailed critique, it's quite rare to see it. :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I was taking a look at this again, on the corners for the low poly is it a straight edge or did you use a slight bevel or something ?
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skyline5gtr Yeah, I used chamfers/bevels on corners and main edges.