Home Technical Talk

Migrating from C4D to 3DS - navingation questions

So I have finally decided that I have to migrate to 3DS, for obvious reasons.

I believe 3DS is quite easy to comprehend, although there are some tools that I am seriously missing in 3DS, and I was wondering if you guys could maybe help me.

In C4D there is a loop selection tool (shortcut U-L), which is fantastic and selects complete loops of edges whenever wherever. In 3DS it seems that the loop needs to be pretty much straight in order to be selected. Also for example if I create a box, and I want to loop select the top edges of the box with loop selection, it just simply will not select... Is there another tool to do this? What is the problem?

Also I have found out that there is a Maya navigation preset in the settings, which is golden since it is the same as in C4D. I am used to pressing alt a lot, while having my other fingers on other shortcuts. I cannot get used to the standard navigation with alt and ctrl, makes my fingers hurt. But I have met a problem - I cannot deselect (since alt was used for that) and I cannot use alt for example sliding edge loop that I have created with the swift loop tool (when you create a edge loop with swift edge loop tool, later on you can slide it from side to side with ctrl + alt +LLB). Is it a possibility to remap alt function of those tools to some other key?

The selection tool, I am meaning normal mouse pointer right now, when I select something and while still holding the left mouse button, slide and try to select other stuff, it moves the selected objects instead of just selecting other objects. Is there some sort of paint tool that I can select stuff with easily, so I don't have to select every poly face by face?

If I could only figure this out, it makes my workflow really slow..
Thanks in advance guys.

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Loop selection stops when it encounters a "split", on the box for example, if you want to loop that on the corner it doesn't know to go down or left/right so it stops.

So for those things, manually select them in parts or find other tricks, the box for example you can select the top poly, and then convert the selection to edges.

Not sure about the alt thing since I use the default navigation, had a look but can't find anyhting in the shortkey list.

For the selection, switch from the move/rotate/scale tool to the select object tool (white box with a mouse pointer on it).
    Or start your selection with the mouse button down when it isn't over any object/poly.
    Also if you hold your left mouse button down on the rectangular selection you get different options (including a "paint" selection).
  • SopMod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks for the help.

Well with the loop selection tool, that is a mayor drawback. For 4000 USD package I would be expecting it having better modelling tools then C4D, and this one is absolutely necessary. In C4D, for example with the cube, it depends on where your cursor is, and then it high lights corresponding loop. It's super simple and smart.

With the alt thing, I am afraid that I will have to learn how to use the default navigation controls. No other chance I guess. I also have a 3Dconexxion, so I can maybe use that for navigation instead.

Real bummer.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Unfortunately, these days you're going to get frustrated a lot by a lack of features and useful updates in Autodesk products...
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Unfortunately, these days you're going to get frustrated a lot by a lack of features and useful updates in Autodesk products...

Man. I was so excited for Maya 2014 to come out, then I was thoroughly unimpressed when it did. It's collecting e-dust on my HD. I hope they come out with a service pack soon to fix everything they broke, otherwise I'm never moving past 2013...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Wait Autodesk actually update it's products? I thought they just changed the number at the end of the product every year and called that an update. :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those aren't yearly releases, those funny numbers tell you what service pack you're on.
    Maya/Max v201.0
    Maya/Max v201.1
    Maya/Max v201.2
    Maya/Max v201.3
    Maya/Max v201.4

I'm using Max v201 service pack 2, better known as Max 2012. What service pack are you using?

They leave out the decimal point so you think they are yearly releases. The good news is that in just 6 years we might see a substantial update when they jump to version 202!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    To be called a service pack, I think it actually has to fix/improve things. :p