Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Practice - Seeking Crits!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Reowwww polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys! I started this thread so I could get some professional feedback on my anatomy sculpt whilst I work on it. Still a WIP, been focusing on the torso, I really struggle with forearms, paintovers are a great help if anyone has time :) thank you!

male+WIP+01.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Its a little too early to crit honestly, but I think he needs more hips and they should come up higher in general. yea, I feel your pain on the forearms. They are super tricky. What I'm finding is that the actual underlying muscles show very slightly so don't focus on anatomy models there too much. Find real photos of humans and use them as primary reference for the forearms. The muscles in the forearms are merely hinted at, the tendons and ligaments play a larger role in the shapes and in general that kind of detail all gets pretty smoothed out in the end.

I started a similar thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123062
    Got side tracked with some other work but planning to revisit soon. Maybe it will be some help to you. :)

[edit] god mine still needs soooo much work. Don't look at it too closely ok? lol
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Reowwww,

I checked out your site and your blog. I liked your work. You have some really interesting pieces. I also see that you like to draw. I know you are looking for specific crits on this anatomy piece. Overall looking through your work, as well as this guy, I think you need to do more life drawing. Really start applying those lessons to your 3D work, you will start feeling more comfortable with both. Treat everything as planer forms in the beginning. It appears as though you start defining your planes at the end and noodle. Worry about establishing them quickly, and work the whole piece at once. This is a really small pic link (Left you a link to the actual page as well) but if you look at these ref bodies you will see a way to go thinking about sculpting. Always use ref and keep on sculptin!

http://www.anatomytools.com/images/atc/products/bust-male/bust-male_004.jpg

http://www.anatomytools.com/male-torso-art-reference-busts-3-piece-magnetic-set-p137.php#

hope this was helpful

Cheers,

-JoeSolo
  • Reowwww
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys took those pointers into account, heres my next WIP not too happy with how its going, struggling to identify the problem despite staring at photo ref for hours while sculpting :/

male+WIP+02.jpg
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Ass and core are too small for somebody with that much muscularity everywhere else. The Gluteus Maximus is the largest muscle in the body, and it does the most work (think about what it's doing while you're walking) The leg muscles can't get that powerful without core support

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1501&bih=886&q=arnold+schwarzenegger+bodybuilding&oq=Arnold+Sch&gs_l=img.1.1.0l10.1292.3931.0.5904.10.6.0.4.4.0.145.677.0j6.6.0....0...1ac.1.22.img..0.10.743._ABn9eoFAHg#imgdii=_

Check out the back and legs. You HAVE to have core support or you simply won't be strong enough to build large muscles elsewise. Currently he looks like bodybuilder legs and arms on bike racer rest of body.
  • Reowwww
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou thats great help & I agree :) Think the problem is I've been looking at various body type's as reference when I should have stuck to one person
  • Reowwww
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 3. Tried to make the muscles balanced in strength, Looked closely at Arnie for ref.

male+WIP+03.jpg
  • Laze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmm next time you do a study you should take more time on the lower resolutions to get all the major forms in. The muscles are very lumpy in some areas as there's so much resolution to work with, seems like as you've built up the forms on such flat dense base like his legs, have caused a lot of really strange lumps. Take each sub divisional level to it's maximum potential before moving onto the next.

Some things I noticed so far, the biceps area seems pretty stumpy, they need to be a tad longer. The calf muscles seems to wrap all the way round to the shin bone. The knee cap is just random blobs. The lats are too inflated and have a strange roundness underneath his pecks. And the transition between peck to deltoid is too harsh.
  • Reowwww
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I often get carried away with starting detail too early. Thanks :)
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great seeing you take feed back and try to take it all into account. I agree 100% that you may be working with a mesh at too high of a resolution. There is a lot of detail there that may be interfering with you being able to make proportion changes. A lot of times at this point I start over from scratch. I'm not recommending this as something to try or do as workflow. All artist are different. I have just found from experience, that taking everything I learned from doing the first one, and putting into the 2nd one and gets me better results. You learn what not to do. You also re-enforce everything. Hope this helps. Keep up the great work.
  • Reowwww
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks, perhaps instead of starting again, I switch down some divisions and smooth out the areas that need readdressing? I find Zbrush is great for making drastic changes to your sculpts at anytime.