Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gypsy Caravan

I had been working on my little wagon for a while and I’m ready to show off the outside and soon the inside. This is a piece I have been working on for my young portfolio and I’m happy to get any tips on it. Thank you very much.
9598522_orig.jpg

The Turn Table

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xLCakty3-AA

Replies

• jonincgi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also a young blood at the moment, but I really like the style. The only thing I notice off the bat is most carriages have bigger wheels. Was this render made up in photoshop, or was it from Zbrush or something? Anyways, I think It's very good.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    the model has some potential for sure. but your presentation is letting it down at the moment.
    Your background is much more vibrant and colorful than the actual asset and thus lets your asset appear rather unsaturated. Try a background that --- sticks more to the background --- if you know what I mean.

Second: The sign in the front is hardly recognizable as a sign. Maybe you could design a nice colorfull logo. Besides giving the gypsy-weagon some kind of name, the sign could even be used for stating your polycount and texture size.

Third: The pedestral has not the same quality as your wagon. Also the foliage doesn't work so well in my opinon. The larger flowers are nice but having the gras area really covered with thicker stylised gras-meshes would be a good improvement. Also some stones and areas with raw soil will healp to break up the green monotony. You could imagine your pedestral maybe as a narrow fieldpath or something.
    Either put in the time to do something that will benefit your asset or just leave it. There 101 ways to do a pedestral that differs from the standard circle-shaped style.

For further feedback some wires / shots with only the normalmap applied will help to give further feedback.

To the materials: The metal is very shiny and the wood is also quite glossy. But its is hard to judge because your lighting is not that interesting. Again: Leave out the background create a nice lighting.

I hope this helps.
  • KingSarah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonincgi wrote: »
    I'm also a young blood at the moment, but I really like the style. The only thing I notice off the bat is most carriages have bigger wheels. Was this render made up in photoshop, or was it from Zbrush or something? Anyways, I think It's very good.

Hello fellow young blood, the render was done with the marmoset tool bag. I haven’t edited this render in Photoshop. Thank you for the tips on the wheels as I was researching this piece I found about 3 different types of wheel set ups. This, the bigger ones I believe your talking about and my favorite, 4 little tiny wheels under it. I`ll be happy to try all the ways if you wouldn’t mind if I bounce those renders off you?
  • KingSarah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero wrote: »
    the model has some potential for sure. but your presentation is letting it down at the moment.
    Your background is much more vibrant and colorful than the actual asset and thus lets your asset appear rather unsaturated. Try a background that --- sticks more to the background --- if you know what I mean.

Second: The sign in the front is hardly recognizable as a sign. Maybe you could design a nice colorfull logo. Besides giving the gypsy-weagon some kind of name, the sign could even be used for stating your polycount and texture size.

Third: The pedestral has not the same quality as your wagon. Also the foliage doesn't work so well in my opinon. The larger flowers are nice but having the gras area really covered with thicker stylised gras-meshes would be a good improvement. Also some stones and areas with raw soil will healp to break up the green monotony. You could imagine your pedestral maybe as a narrow fieldpath or something.
    Either put in the time to do something that will benefit your asset or just leave it. There 101 ways to do a pedestral that differs from the standard circle-shaped style.

For further feedback some wires / shots with only the normalmap applied will help to give further feedback.

To the materials: The metal is very shiny and the wood is also quite glossy. But its is hard to judge because your lighting is not that interesting. Again: Leave out the background create a nice lighting.

I hope this helps.

Hey thank you so much for all your tips after I work on it a bit more I’ll re-post it with your changes, and a few others I’m making along with the wire frame and texture pages. My problem with a few of my pieces is the lighting, I’m working on this but if you had any tips on it I would gladly appreciate it.
  • jonincgi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh nice, I'm about to use marmoset for the first time. Should be fun.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Talking about lighting this tutorial might give you a good start, especially when using marmoset. Although the tutorial is focused on lighting for characters and thus not everything will be applicable or usefull for lighting hardsurface models (from my experience) it will be a good start with some valuables do's and don'ts.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-lighting

For a first start you could use a standard sky from marmoset. When sticking to the standard skydomes I find pavement and pisa to be a good start.
    If you want to create your own light mood you should stick to a more subtle skydome like sunset ambience, overcast ambience, forest ambience and reduce their brightness. Then start to add your main lightsource and some secondary lights. The article above will give you some great examples how a 3 point light setup can effct the appearance of your model. Again: Not everything will work on a hardsurface mesh because those light setups work best with organic shapes.
  • onizuka92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onizuka92 polycounter lvl 9
    How long have you been working on this?
  • KingSarah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onizuka92 wrote: »
    How long have you been working on this?
    amile duan wrote: »
    I am curious about time you have spent on it too.This work seems like not an easy one.

I believe I spent about 2 weeks on the outside, some of it being trial and error. The inside, where I`m still making slight changes, was about another week but I`ll be posting that soon.
  • KingSarah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero wrote: »
    Talking about lighting this tutorial might give you a good start, especially when using marmoset. Although the tutorial is focused on lighting for characters and thus not everything will be applicable or usefull for lighting hardsurface models (from my experience) it will be a good start with some valuables do's and don'ts.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-lighting

For a first start you could use a standard sky from marmoset. When sticking to the standard skydomes I find pavement and pisa to be a good start.
    If you want to create your own light mood you should stick to a more subtle skydome like sunset ambience, overcast ambience, forest ambience and reduce their brightness. Then start to add your main lightsource and some secondary lights. The article above will give you some great examples how a 3 point light setup can effct the appearance of your model. Again: Not everything will work on a hardsurface mesh because those light setups work best with organic shapes.
    That’s a little funny because the lighting is pavement. I found it really useful for the turnaround.
    The link was very helpful I think I might try lighting it in 3 point for the next render. I`ll have a bit more control over that lighting and I think it’s really great when using it to really show off one piece, it being hard surface or organic.
    Thank you again for the help and link I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I look forward to posting the results.