Home General Discussion

Beginner forums?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
Anyone have any suggestions for alternate forums for beginner questions/advice?

I've noticed that the pimp forum is more or less active somewhat depending on the level of the work in a particular thread. Is there more appropriate area or other web forum that would be helpful to mirror to for focused help?

I'm working in Maya right now.

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Not that I am aware off, and even if it did, I think you would probably want feedback from more experienced people instead of other beginners.

"pimp forum is more or less active somewhat depending on the level of the work in a particular thread"

it doesn't matter if you only get 2 posts, only thing that matters is the feedback you got.

have a look for example at the amount of help/feedback in here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123291

Some tips:
    -Post in the P&P forum, but also post your work in the waywo thread with a link to your thread, lots of people with limited time that just check that thread (checking every thread in the P&P forum would take a long time)

-If you don't get any feedback, search out some people, and send them a pm, you would be surprised how helpfull people are here :)

-Google hangouts

-Post artwork with a dick in it.

And if there is a feeling of "I'm just a beginner, I shouldn't be posting here" then just don't worry about that :D
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    -Post artwork with a dick in it.

Lol,

Fair enough. I think its less about the software itself and more about what the software can do and the help in it. A lot of people use zbrush, I get that and trust me I want a copy, but I don't have it as a tool which is why I ask. Beyond that Most of my questions are really about concepts over tools. It's easy to say "Oh well use this tool" vs, the hard concepts such as proper mesh layout (which I seem to be having trouble with).

Either way appreciate the images and feedback.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ever seen the penis tank? next-gen dat shit, insta job.

Anyways, any feedback in my opinion, is enough as long as its valuable in the least. Someone pointing out the curve of the zygomatic arch can really improve anatomical realism in a piece and improve it as a whole.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Haftoof wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for alternate forums for beginner questions/advice?

Game Artisans?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Maybe try CGHub if you haven't already.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Game Artisans?

GA is essentially dead. They get about two or three posts a day.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    polycount_replyometer.jpg

This is the the most absolutely accurate graph that has ever been published anywhere.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Haftoof wrote: »
    the hard concepts such as proper mesh layout (which I seem to be having trouble with).

Well to answer this very specific question, Google "proper mesh topology." Maybe you just need to learn some of the terminology to help you search better?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    SimplyMaya.com is good for beginners in Maya. Not nearly as active as polycount, but they know their Maya stuff.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Game Artisans?

Two years ago maybe. Although I was a good fan of their chat function but we have a similar thing going on on Skype and Google Hangout.

-CGhub
    -Digital Tutors community forums
    -Polycount's PnP and Tech Talk