Home General Discussion

Internship/surviving

So I am at my last year of college and am looking around for internships or really anything that would bite.

I was wondering what skill level I need to be for any company to take me seriously as just a character artist intern? Not even just an entry level artist.

I know I am not the best artist but I also know that I just need to learn a few tips and what not from the real world to really have a chance in the 3d artist world.

my work is at here if you want to see my level.

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Roles like Character art intern jobs hardly ever come up, you'd be better off finding a job out of 3D and doing it in your spare time, or QA testing at a studio that allows you to progress to an art role, e.g. a studio with developers ideally in the same building, so you can make contacts and hopefully move up into the art department.

Workwise the stuff is ok but you don't seem to have any finished pieces, like wireframe shots of your models or well laid out presentations. Showing sculpts can be cool but it won't show a potential employer you can carry a project through to completion which they kinda need to see. Having said all that it looks like you got the chops for it, just need to refine your stuff :) Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I wouldn't hold your breath for an internship. People are laid off left and right and studios close every month. Just bust your ass and get a job!
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha thanks! I am currently learning Cry and UDK so I hopefully ill have at least most of the characters I made in there in a month or so. Hopefully that will make them look finalized and sexy for my portfolio. I wish i lived in a magical land where I could get these no existing internships but I'll just have to man up and sexy up my portfolio
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would aim on small studios if I was you
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Drop the flash portfolio, make the images bigger and have them one after the other. Look for the thread, " super simple portfolio template " & use that.

On to the question, good luck trying to find one, apply to smaller studios as a generalist, you'll need to prove you can create a model with proper workflow etc. Offering to do the grunt work may land a place doing poop 3d like crates but it's experience never the less.