Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some feedback on this character : )

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Epsilonart polycounter lvl 4
Hey there ! My first thread / post on polycount I hope i'll learn a lot from you guys since i'm far away from your impressive skills.
So far this is where i'm at with this character I have a LOT of stuff to correct and push further but I would like to get some crits on it.
PS: I don't care if the crits are harsh by the way^^

XgceyhE.jpg

Replies

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Don't worry dude, I'm new too and often find myself swamped with other's talents.
    First thing I'm going to ask is what style you're going for; the character looks quite stylised as it stands, but if it's realism there are going to be some proportion issues. Next, this might be due to an early stage in the design, but I'd say it's difficult to tell what everything is (Armor? Clothes?) especially near the knees.Lastly, I'd say that the feet need a bit of work as they're quite bare at the moment. Good work nontheless, and welcome to the site :)
  • Epsilonart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the welcome and the crit : )
    iEUoUIx.jpg

This image sum up a little how did I get here. I liked the style of akihiko yoshida and decided to draw something similar then I made a model in Zbrush and yesterday I saw some witcher 2 awesomness models at zbrushcentral and decided to move a little more from the concept that I had.
    As for the proportion, I decided to stylised it accordingly to yoshida and my drawing , it doesn't make it any better but it explains why the proportion aren't "realistic". I guess the main problem for this model is that I don't really know where i'm going. I mean I know which part of the model I can make improvement but I don't know if the character is going to be a knight or a thief etc... So I have to think a bit about what this character is about.
  • Epsilonart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some update on the model having a hard time dealing with it on my laptop...

qmljY5s.jpg
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I don't think you're at the detailing stage yet honestly.

There's a lot of messy forms leading to blobby, uninteresting shapes. Things like folds and wrinkles in your cloth look to drawn on top, rather than a natural part of the clothing.

Step back in detail with your sculpt and work the folds in to lower detail geometry, then work up from there. Also work on the parts more individually, getting the folds flowing, the edges and corners crisp.

Work on getting the transitions between different pieces of clothing to be better defined. The whole torso to legs is one puffy suit, there's some variation, but no crisp cut offs and flowing of folds to lead the eye around the changes.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    One thing im noticing is the number of different meshes you have. think of it like this: Would this be a separated part if you would make the outfit in real life. you could separate way more parts of your sculpt into smaller pieces.

if you do this a lot of the things Vertrucio mentioned will get sorted out all on its own, you will get cleaner cuts and polishing shapes will be a lot easier.
  • Epsilonart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit guys!

This is where i'm at for the moment , need to think more like you guys said about how the clothes are if they were made in real life but I think its getting better little by little still a lot to do : P

GppFThr.jpg