Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted repeatable enviroments

Making some handpainted enviroments to be in a runner game on android/ios.

The goal is to minimize the feeling of repeating parts while using the smallest amounts of different prefabs while still looking good/interesting with maximum performance.

These are two enviroments I'm working on atm:

Treasure vault:
CU6ZzDw.png
The floor is not done, and I might change the runes on the sides because they look a bit strange.

Abandoned mine:
eBsPS4U.png
The pillas only got rough texturing and the wood beneath the rails are just placeholders. The rocks are placed out a bit random so the only true repeating parts of the image is the floor and the pillars.

Replies

• Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    looks great so far, I really like that stone texture.. how about showing us some flats?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think the vault looks great although could use some increase in contrast as its still slightly flat. The wood beams in the mine could use some variation to break them up too as they're very clean. Looking good though man, can't wait to see your updates, subbed!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Looks nice though the wooden slats on the railroad tracks (rhyming!) look really flat. You could fix this by either painting in some depth, or you could double the geometry and put another layer underneath it thats slightly darker to give the illusion of depth.like this

Untitled-2.png

Though this uses an alpha, the principle is exactly the same.
  • Sealarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all of you.

Fenyce: Here is the rock texture and one of the rocks i used to build the walls with:
    4HLMyF3.jpg

Torch: I completely agree, the beams are actually just the fiber filter in PS with solid brushstrokes on the side so they need a lot of work.
    I turned up the contrast a bit of the vault and it looks better, I will post the result when I'm done with the next update to it.

Azzamat: That's a smart way to do it! I'm just afraid that it will look strange from the angle the camera has.
    I'll try that and painting to get some depth, but if it does not work I have some spare polys to use for them, but I have to have fewer of them if they are in full geometry.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey again man, cool looking rock :) Still though the spectrum of values you're using seem to be very narrow, which is why the rock is turning out fairly dark/flat - if you were to increase the lights and darks it would really make the details pop more. Just did a quick brightness/contrast filter over the top, might be a bit extreme but shows what I meant:

3GrGWmk.jpg
  • Sealarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try to bring up the contrast (but i have to adjust the colors of the normal walls so the rocks wont pop out so much). updating later!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. That rock looks great! But yeah, some more contrast would be great, but don't bush it to far...
  • Sealarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates to the mine: 32k5c7M.jpg
  • Grayson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grayson polycounter lvl 16
    I really like your rock texture. It could use some color variation though. Its very monochromatic.
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the rails look more like stone then iron. iron scratches differently and reflects light differently as well. but it looks too similar to the rock. however the iron on the wooden posts look more like iron.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooohooo, great improvement!
    But yeah, I agree about the color variation, the wood could also need some variation. So does the metal. Maybe do some smaller scratches to (just with highlight color, so, that you might think of really small scratches)... Right now I can spot the repeatition easyly.

The first scene could also use color variation in the brickwall, the ground and pillars and the red stone... Everythink seems monochromatic and really really grey, more colorful would be a joy for the eyes =D
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Remove the scratch on the metal part which holds the wooden plank at 45°.
  • vincentvangeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    Great work, I love the red flag in the first screenshot. The red works very well with the gold/yellow.

The mine is also getting quite nice, I love the stone texture. Thanks for showing the flats, it's very interesting. Personally I would at some color accents, like cave drawings or something?

Keep up the good work.