Home General Discussion

Is it possible to work part time in this industry realistically?

Dear Polycount,

So if you were to put yourself in my shoes, after your remedied the fungal infection, what would your advice be to me?

My wife is the current breadwinner and I'm Mr. Mom right now. The kid is only 6 months old and is a full time job. We don't need the money from me working. I'm looking for work for the sake of enjoying the work, that said, I like money and want to be paid. I'd just like to pay off our student loans early with any extra income and maybe save up for a small arsenal of weapons for when my daughter grows up and starts dating.

Here's the rub. I know I'm good at this stuff and it kills me that I not doing it right now. I was valedictorian and got a shiny "advanced achievement" award for my student portfolio when I graduated in May. There is no way I can put in 40-70 hours a week right now because I simply do not have the time. I also haven't had time to do a real portfolio. The student one was ok I guess, but not as good as I can do. My daughter was born 3 months before I graduated so I had to cut corners in my own opinion, even if I got that award. So I've already killed that student portfolio and took it offline because I don't think it is a proper representation of my skillset.

So step one is obviously make a solid portfolio, that's a given and doable now that the kid doesn't scream or shit every 5 minutes day and night anymore. But what the hell is step two? Raising my daughter is going to get more complicated before it gets easier. She is just starting to crawl. I can't be in my room sculpting steroid-induced, sweaty barbarians in Zbrush while she's crawling around and sticking her tongue in the first available electrical socket in the next room. I can swing part time work late at night, but that's it until she's in school at my best guess.

Do I just have this pipe dream of being able to work part time or do people actually pull this off? As far as skillset goes I can do characters start to the very finish, meaning original 2D concept to rigging/setup with complex scripting if need be. Should I just give up and sell fruit models on Turbosquid until she's in school?

Replies

• CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Freelance seems like your best (only?) option. If you can get a decent portfolio together you could definitely find some outsource work.
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    You could always try sites like turbosquid/other asset stores. It might not be insane money but it is something.+ There is no time pressure. Maybe do a few Dota 2 items. With a good 2d concept and good execution it might even bring in good money. And if not at least it helps your daily art fix. But again I'm just a noob that starts uni in September:)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Portfolio + networking = jobs.

If you can prove to clients that you can produce decent 3d work to spec, then you should have no issues finding freelance.

Also https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33057988/CombatSim/index.html

"play" that if you run out of art juice, it shakes things up a bit. Even a hour speed modeling session with it works wonders ;D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    It's hard work with kids. My daughter is 3 now and she is at nursery so I get 3 hours in the morning where the house is quiet. when she was a baby I did not get much work done full stop.I am the 'putting daughter to bed dad' and she used to refuse to sleep all night so I would have to stay up with her cradling here for sometimes 6 hours.(I didn't mind really)
    Personally in your situation I would work on your stuff when you get the time (when she is sleeping mainly) and aim to ramp up production in a few years time.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah its possible to work parttime in this industry. I´m studying communication science as a masters degree. Parttime, I work in a small studio for tv spots and game assets for a maximum of about 40hrs per month.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I have to agree with Ruz. I can't see you having the time to fit in freelance or contract work. Once your baby is crawling, then shortly after walking, it will need constant attention and eyes on them. Also days can be completely taken over with care if they're being moody, not sleeping or become sick. Never mind when the house work piles up! Clients won't be very understanding of this.

Maybe if your wife/gf is OK to completely take over when she gets home from work. But I think that's not very likely as she would want to chill a bit after a day at work.

Asset stores like Unity and Turbosquid or Valves game items sound like a good way to beter your skills while getting a bit of cash.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    are you good?

thats your answer, the better you are the easier it should be doing this
  • Count Vertsalot
    Ruz wrote: »
    It's hard work with kids. My daughter is 3 now and she is at nursery so I get 3 hours in the morning where the house is quiet. when she was a baby I did not get much work done full stop.I am the 'putting daughter to bed dad' and she used to refuse to sleep all night so I would have to stay up with her cradling here for sometimes 6 hours.(I didn't mind really)
    Personally in your situation I would work on your stuff when you get the time (when she is sleeping mainly) and aim to ramp up production in a few years time.

I was hoping some other parents would chime in. I have to agree. I'm starting to think other avenues, such as toy figurine design, would be a better fit right now since I wouldn't be a kink in a production chain with something like that.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Fomori wrote: »
    Maybe if your wife/gf is OK to completely take over when she gets home from work. But I think that's not very likely as she would want to chill a bit after a day at work.

My wife is a saint and she does her motherly duties when she gets home. Thing is I feel bad since she's on her feet at work 12 hours a day dealing with who knows what with her patients so I always help her even if she doesn't ask for it. I'm also not particularly in a creative mood after being screamed at all day long. I typically get the itch to work late at night when everything is quiet and I have time to think.

I like your idea of the Valve asset stuff. I've looked at that. Not really my style artistically, but it could be good to get my fix at least.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Get away with murder and you'l be fine :thumbup:

lol Alright something not horrifically and morally obscene... I know a few guys in your situation and they are doing just fine working freelance. So where's that portfolio huh?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    As well as freelance have you considered just making your own games and selling those? It's not necessary to be a programmer with all the new engines and It's never been easier to get games published to places like the app store so what have you got to lose?

EDIT: you also don't have a link to your portfolio anywhere on your profile! link that stuff!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I have two kids, a four year old and a two year old. I do work in the industry full-time, but I'm also trying to finish up my own game and I do freelance. I've been able to get about 3 hours a night of work done if I stick to a strict schedule. I get home from work around 6-7pm. Spend that time with my family and doing stuff with my kids. They go to bed at 9pm, then I work on art until 12am every night. I have found that with 3 hours of hard focus I can get a lot done each night. Been sticking to this shedule for 3 years and works for me.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Spend the next 6-12 months working on a portfolio a few hours each night. Gives you enough time to get some really good pieces done, and your daughter will be at a good age to enter day care and socialize.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    It's possible if you know where to look for, and land, gigs (look round the clock you're awake!).

Like....

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/hiring-industry-contracted-work/21131-cg-monster-character-modeler-nickelodeon.html
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    I've got a 4 year old daughter, a 2 year old son and a 5 month old baby girl. I do every morning routine and most day / evening routines. My wife's got medical issues so I run the house.

Short answer: Yes you can do it.

There are lots of ways you can make money, from freelance jobs, to unity asset store, valves store, to even learning a bit of c# and making your own little games.

As your wife is the main bread winner you have that stress relief of periods of things not selling or being able to make a game and if it flops then not needing to worry.

Long answer:

Bring your pc into the same room as the playroom. Mod your desk to conceal cables.

At 6 months She is possibly sitting up, perhaps crawling / army crawling?
    Get some toys that she can have on her own and some you can play with her.

Play with her for about 30 minutes, then toy swap and let her discover on her own for a bit. At this age you want to encourage crawling and rolling and moving so letting her have some floor time without you and with some toys in reach and some out of reach is a good thing.

You can give her 30 mminutes, then work for 30 minutes. As long as your room is set up in a way that you can always see her and you keep your eye on her then your good.

The only issue is if you tunnel vision when you work.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Personally, I'd stock up on the duct tape. Find a nice sturdy wall, tape the kid to it...baM! Problem solved.

I would recommend taking the kid down before your wife gets home though. Oh, and feed and water the kid once during the day, and 30 minute outside time...on a leash, of course.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Vysuki wrote: »
    I've got a 4 year old daughter, a 2 year old son and a 5 month old baby girl. I do every morning routine and most day / evening routines. My wife's got medical issues so I run the house.

Short answer: Yes you can do it.

There are lots of ways you can make money, from freelance jobs, to unity asset store, valves store, to even learning a bit of c# and making your own little games.

As your wife is the main bread winner you have that stress relief of periods of things not selling or being able to make a game and if it flops then not needing to worry.

Long answer:

Bring your pc into the same room as the playroom. Mod your desk to conceal cables.

At 6 months She is possibly sitting up, perhaps crawling / army crawling?
    Get some toys that she can have on her own and some you can play with her.

Play with her for about 30 minutes, then toy swap and let her discover on her own for a bit. At this age you want to encourage crawling and rolling and moving so letting her have some floor time without you and with some toys in reach and some out of reach is a good thing.

You can give her 30 mminutes, then work for 30 minutes. As long as your room is set up in a way that you can always see her and you keep your eye on her then your good.

The only issue is if you tunnel vision when you work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. Sorry to hear about your wife. I appreciate your sound advice. We actually just put a contract on a house that will give the kid her own safe play area that has a room attached that could be my office. I plan on using my dropcam to watch her entire play area while I work if I can swing it. That way I can just look at my second monitor to watch her and be right next door if I need to jump into action. We don't close until the end of September so she'll be 8 months by then so hopefully I can pull this off.
  • Count Vertsalot
    NyneDown wrote: »
    Personally, I'd stock up on the duct tape. Find a nice sturdy wall, tape the kid to it...baM! Problem solved.

I would recommend taking the kid down before your wife gets home though. Oh, and feed and water the kid once during the day, and 30 minute outside time...on a leash, of course.

Have you considered opening up your own daycare? I like your style.
  • Count Vertsalot
    I can appreciate that and I'm flattered, but all I can show is my old student work right now and I simply do not like it. I'm not trying to come off as being a superhero artist or anything either. I think and have been told I'm pretty good at stuff, but it won't be like I'm bringing a new renaissance of game art or anything. Give me a few months. I plan on being more active on Polycount in the future and will share a lot and ask for feedback.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    chillax Count Vertsalot

I think your jumping the gun a bit (you are still young), my daughter is six now and I was the house dad for her first 2 years, it goes by in a finger snap ENJOY THESE TIMES as they wont last. As for making time for game art start planning now and stick to the routine even if it's 1 hour a day and the older she gets that "art making" time will increase and then you will be nagged by our wife :poly124:

Before you know it your daughter will be asking what you are doing on the PC and why your art looks so scary or crap lol, six year olds have zero tact btw :)

Have fun :thumbup: