Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted things!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
N-gon polycounter lvl 5
hello there trying the hand painted style. the concept is from firstkeeper who is a Amazing artist! http://firstkeeper.deviantart.com/art/Weapons-concept-04-284014517
i hope I do it justice,

here it is , and more to come.

Axe_breakdown.jpg

Replies

• N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
  • HelloMyNamesJordan
    Think you should make the blood abit more deeper coloured ad it looks like a light wash at the moment
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow looks great, good color palette! I would say the metal could use more contrasting values, looks more like stone than metal right now (unless that's what you were going for), but apart from that very nice.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    This looks like a good start! I agree with the above about adding in some more contrast, a lot of the pop you get from contrast in value can be achieved from the light direction, which feels a bit ambiguous at the moment. If the light direction is hitting from top down, you need to reflect that in all the materials more consistently.

I think the poly distribution could be a bit more efficient/consistent too, the curves on the blade, which contribute heavily to silhouette are quite faceted (which is fine if you're going for low-poly) but the detailing of the skull on the bottom of the handle is quite dense in comparison and contributes very little to silhouette. Try to balance the res on your mesh evenly where possible and in general if you are adding extra polys use them to push the silhouette.
  • N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    @HelloMyNamesJordan , yeah i think your right, I go back over with a new pass.
    @Torch, Thanks man, yeah its suppose to be metal, thanks for the tip about adding more contrasting values.
    @Pixelatedkiwi, yeah i could save a lot of tris on this and made the blade silhouette better, and thanks for liking it!
  • N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    ALSO! here another one! did it yesterday, the concept is by first keeper. http://firstkeeper.deviantart.com/art/Weapons-concept-05-284190968

480443_3252864138040_181365331_n.jpg

and for 3d viewing! http://p3d.in/pj3qg/shadeless+spin
  • N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    more hand Painting stuff! 1075546_3274090068675_1904201926_o.jpg

3d viewing http://p3d.in/s543r/shadeless+spin
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good. I know you use p3d, but polycount has sketchfab built in the forums. I personally haven't used it, but you might want to look into it to embed directly in the posts.
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how do you do that hand painted style! i want to learn so badly.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    N-gon wrote: »
    ALSO! here another one! did it yesterday, the concept is by first keeper.

Hey man, very nice stuff :) Weapon looks great, although again the values seem kinda subtle and dark - I feel like you could really push the contrast to make the details pop more (obviously would like to hear other's opinions about this.)

This is a bit of a botched job as I just stuck a brightness/contrast filter on it, but gives a rough idea with it getting lighter toward the top of the staff:

Mn2I5I2.jpg
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon wrote: »
    more hand Painting stuff! 1075546_3274090068675_1904201926_o.jpg

3d viewing http://p3d.in/s543r/shadeless+spin

WoW nice work. I try to learn how to Handpaint atm :)

Did you just used only diffuse Layer ?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Cool that you are practicing hand painting with these, but I honestly think that doing weapons is NOT the best choice. The thing is, you could simply project from those concepts and do a little clean up work and then done.
    If you are doing these from scratch, (which I am assuming you are) you will certainly learn stuff about painting, but the real challenge comes when trying to convert 3d shapes into 2d on your own, not copying what someone has already done.

In other words, since a sword is essentially flat, working off a concept of a sword is a lot like painting a picture of a picture. The concept and the sword are pretty much 2 dimensional and as I said the 3d conversion (via rendering lighting) has already been done for you in the concept, which is by far the most challenging part.

For example if you were creating a 3d character off of a concept, I COULD NOT simply project from the concept and be done with it. With a character or anything with a lot of 3d shape you will be forced to paint lighting in for yourself, discover where the specular highlights lie and so on and so fourth.

I really don't want to discourage you here, but I think you would benefit so much more if you tried just about anything else besides weapons like this.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Might even be more fun and effective work from a scratch concept that you've made.

DNd6Iiv.jpg
  • N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    yeah. I'm Making theses from scratch, I'm Trying to make a portfolio for blizzard for a Prop Artist position, but I'm feeling that I'm going about it all wrong. I've been trying to break in the game industry for a while now. here is my portfolio Giomartinez.com I understand my work is not there yet.

Cool that you are practicing hand painting with these, but I honestly think that doing weapons is NOT the best choice. The thing is, you could simply project from those concepts and do a little clean up work and then done.
    If you are doing these from scratch, (which I am assuming you are) you will certainly learn stuff about painting, but the real challenge comes when trying to convert 3d shapes into 2d on your own, not copying what someone has already done.

In other words, since a sword is essentially flat, working off a concept of a sword is a lot like painting a picture of a picture. The concept and the sword are pretty much 2 dimensional and as I said the 3d conversion (via rendering lighting) has already been done for you in the concept, which is by far the most challenging part.

For example if you were creating a 3d character off of a concept, I COULD NOT simply project from the concept and be done with it. With a character or anything with a lot of 3d shape you will be forced to paint lighting in for yourself, discover where the specular highlights lie and so on and so fourth.

I really don't want to discourage you here, but I think you would benefit so much more if you tried just about anything else besides weapons like this.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    keep working hard man, and if you really push yourself you will eventually get there! In my opinion, the "trick" to getting a job is really all about making yourself a better artist in the shortest amount of time possible. Of course, you need to crank out hours and hours of work everyday, but really making the best of that time is key.

That's really why I was saying earlier that I think you should try a different direction. If your going for a prop position, Start making all types of props in a similar fashion as to what you are doing with these weapons. If you can make your own concept as JadeEyePanda said that's great, or find a concept that will require you to use your imagination more or complete the design yourself. I know there is tons of good and rough concept prop pieces from blizzard out there. Also, just a bit of advice, don't limit yourself to blizzard only. Its quite possible no matter how good you are, they might just not like your art style or something. Blizzard is one of the most elite studios in the world and they are respectively equally picky about who they hire. Just my 2 cents. Good luck man, I hope to see some new stuff on this thread!!! :)