Home General Discussion

Greek Mythology

squeaklin
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
squeaklin polycounter lvl 8
So I have a assignment over summer break to research a Greek myth and basically produce some 3D art from it. (Im sure it was longer when my tutor said it) I have been looking at the story of Icarus (who flew too close to the sun after escaping the minotaurs labyrinth with his farther) and the primordial gods Nyx and Erubus (nyx is the wife of Erubus and represents Night, Erubus represents Darkness and shadow and is used as the space between the world of the living and the river styx.
Nyx is the mother of several other gods linked to darkness and light creating balance, Several children are attributed to Erebus while the others are a sort of divine insemination to bring about the counter of what Erubus is up to).

So my question, which do you think would be the coolest subject matter?

Do any other Greek myths jump out at you?

(I also considered Helios who drags the son across the sky with a bad ass chariot)

Do any of you have any immediate visualization from the info provided?
I thought about maybe showing Nyx and Erubus surrounded by objects that represent their children possibly (quite a few kiddies)?

or

With Icarus goin for a go at some ancient-teck flight pack.

so what do you think?

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Athena's birth is always a fun visual.
    birthathena.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    man there are SO many great myths to explore.

pretty much the entirety of Homers work (not Scott Homer) is fantastic... the death of Heracles could be awesome too... even the earlier times, the fall of the titans to the Olympians for example.
  • squeaklin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at least zeus learned to stop eating his children!!! I think I want to do something more environment based though :s I have moved on my research to Tartarus (basically the 9th circle of hell where the titans where imprisoned) or do you recon that a simple idea is fine as long as it fulfills the purpose? because there is also the titan atlas that hold up the earth which could make a good visual but be relatively simple. I also feel like im been penned into character art with this task, the old story's are about the characters and such with little description of where or what it looked like. Im also sick of reading other peoples interpretations that all start with the line "the old storys say blar blar was angry with blar" but WHAT are these story's where can I find them! I will have a look at the works of Homer but I dont think the simpsons are going to help too much!
  • squeaklin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also dont want to do something thats been DONE to death :(
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're dealing with mythological figures who've been depicted in art since they were first created. Unless you actually change things, covering a character, place or story that's not been well trod in the past is likely to be tricky.

If you do want to head in that direction, you'll probably want to avoid the names that come immediately to mind - Icarus being a prime example. There's loads of interlinked pages on Wikipedia covering classical mythology. Dig down past the obvious choices until you find something a bit different and suitably evocative for an artwork.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    There's a game out there that looks exactly like those greek vases. It's called Apotheon, looks super-nice. Slightly related :p
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    The Tartarus idea seems fine.

- It's not overdone like Icarus

- It could be an amazing environment, especially if that's your focus of interest and you think about neat unique visual environment ideas to put in the piece.

- If the project is mainly supposed to get you to make some cool stuff and advance your skills, almost ANYTHING will work nicely if you get really enthused about it.

- Tartarus, in sauce form, goes great with fish sticks. Homer would approve! Nom Nom Nom.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe the Myth of Orpheus and Eurydice could be interesting.

Basically he was a musician who carelessly played his lyre until he met Eurydice, a dryad. They fell in love and the moment things started becoming rosy, the god Aristaeus, son of Apollo, fell in love with her. She was in love with Orpheus though. He chased her and in her terror she stepped on a snake, the bite killed her.

Orpheus was so overtaken by sorrow that he went into the underworld to find her. With his lyre he charmed his way past Cerberus, the guard dog of the underworld. He found Hades and he played him the song of his misfortune, begging him to resurrect Eurydice. A tear rolled down Hades's cheek and he told him that he would help him. Eurydice would follow him outside, but she would be a Shade until she stepped into the light of the upper world. But there was a catch: Orpheus could not look back to her following him, the moment he did, she would disappear. So he excitedly started his journey out of the underworld. But on the way out, he wondered if Hades had tricked him into leaving the underworld. He looked back and saw Eurydice, but just for a second, as she disappeared.

He could not believe what happened and in tears he started playing the lyre in the forest. The song was so sad that the animals came and killed him as they cried.

I dunno, i think its a really awesome story. :D
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Xoliul wrote: »
    There's a game out there that looks exactly like those greek vases. It's called Apotheon, looks super-nice. Slightly related :p

neat! I always though a game in that art style would be nice :)
  • squeaklin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou everyone for your input. Some really good ideas. I went with Tartarus as time was pressing down on my head.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Have you any scope to mess with it? Like make it contemporary, futuristic etc? Or just having a bit of a joke with it? Exibit A :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLcaS76OtM"]Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Lyre Of Orpheus - YouTube[/ame]
  • squeaklin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, has to be a pritty accurate representation of a classic interpretation. :( BUT that said Im loving this task now im modeling and have all my prep work done AND to top it off my SUCCESSFUL export to cryengine! feeling very good about time scale as well! last week incoming (of self imposed deadline)!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    some of my favorite stories in greek mythology involve characters who are sentenced to eternal punishment. it creates a very vivid picture.

(info from wikipedia)

Prometheus: The immortal Prometheus was bound to a rock, where each day an eagle, the emblem of Zeus, was sent to feed on his liver, which would then grow back to be eaten again the next day.

Sisyphus: ...punished for chronic deceitfulness by being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this action forever.

Tantalus: He was made to stand in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches, with the fruit ever eluding his grasp, and the water always receding before he could take a drink.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I always liked the story of echo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_%28mythology%29

Anyhow, OT, but I wish there would be more draw from other mythologies other than Greek/Viking/Egyptian. Mayans, African Tribes, American Tribes, Hindi, and Aborigine. All have stories and characters.