Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK vz. 58

stre3t
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
stre3t polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys,

My name is Patrik Jonas and I am trying to find a job as Environmental Artist in a near future. This is my first post of my work on Polycount. I would be happy if you kill me with critique, give me a feedback and some tips what I could improve ;). I hope you will like it!

RENDER
pcak.jpg

WIREFRAME - 3Ds Max viewport
pcakw1.jpg
pcakw2.jpg

DIFFUSE
pcakd.jpg

SPECULAR
pcaks.jpg

Thank you for your replies!

Replies

• Mrpopo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    As it stands nothing really pops in the render. Im thinking from looking at your texture maps it has to do with your spec.

Try adding some subdued colours to your spec, maybe some blue greys for the wood and some purple blue gradients for the metal, I know it sounds crazy but play around with different colours, it can make a world of difference and add some intereting colours where otherwise it would just be bland.

the model is also looking flat in the renders, perhaps the lighting in your scene needs some tweaking or you may need to created a greater contrast between what you want to be shiny and what you want to be dull in your spec.

also try removing the AO from the spec.

In terms of the model itself the geo is looking solid to me.
  • stre3t
    Offline / Send Message
    stre3t polycounter lvl 4
    Mrpopo wrote: »
    As it stands nothing really pops in the render. Im thinking from looking at your texture maps it has to do with your spec.

Try adding some subdued colours to your spec, maybe some blue greys for the wood and some purple blue gradients for the metal, I know it sounds crazy but play around with different colours, it can make a world of difference and add some intereting colours where otherwise it would just be bland.

the model is also looking flat in the renders, perhaps the lighting in your scene needs some tweaking or you may need to created a greater contrast between what you want to be shiny and what you want to be dull in your spec.

also try removing the AO from the spec.

In terms of the model itself the geo is looking solid to me.

Thank you for reply! I will try to play with colors in spec map it could really help for better result. Yes, my render is not charming. I have not focused on lights in the scene (maybe I should) because my goal was not to make the best render but create good working game model but I am aware that renders can show my skills. It was rendered with CryEngine 3 and there is only sun light. Good point to remove AO from spec. Thank you a lot! I will try to change some mistakes and I would be happy if you give me feedback again ;).
  • SanjiWhite
    This might help you to get better results:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjt9VJKDXs"]CryEngine 3 - How to make a nice presentation of your model [PART 1] - YouTube[/ame]
  • stre3t
    Offline / Send Message
    stre3t polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you SanjiWhite, it looks great!
  • stre3t
    Offline / Send Message
    stre3t polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, I am back after small pause. I have made some changes in specular map, added glossines map and played with lighting. I look forward to your replies :).

6rlt.jpg
    pdzx.jpg
  • Narlyteeth
    Offline / Send Message
    Narlyteeth polycounter lvl 5
    something you might want to note is the amount of empty space in the renders
    when you crop you should try to make the ends spaced from edge of the canvas more evenly.

there's too much empty grey, and no real focal point. maybe try brightening the gun, and more highlights on it so show the surface quality.

inspiration?
    final_002.jpg
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    stre3t wrote: »
    I am trying to find a job as Environmental Artist in a near future.

Then why in the world are you modelling a gun?
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, as others said it looks pretty bland, my suggestions would be
    -make diffuse metal a tad darker
    -add some big blobs to it, so you get some big details
    -change wood color to somtehing more red , vz58 (its not "ak vz 58" but only "vz 58" afaik) http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090220153849/guns/images/c/c3/Sa_58-JH01.jpg
    -add some wear to the gun..not just single scratches http://forum.valka.cz/files/sa_vz._58pi.jpg
    - play with spec and gloss, motal should be more reflective on spec, but lower gloss, and wood lower on spec and higher on gloss
    -dont remove AO from spec as someone suggested before
    - while creating spec, dont just greyscale whole thing, for example remove your wood and instead put some more generic wood texture, also add some wear to it, like on the AK 2 posts upwards
    -while render, put light to the side of gun and make sure it reflects at least on few spots of that reciever
  • stre3t
    Offline / Send Message
    stre3t polycounter lvl 4
    mystichobo wrote: »
    Then why in the world are you modelling a gun?

This model is something like test model, I work on environmental objects too. ;)
  • stre3t
    Offline / Send Message
    stre3t polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you for help guys!