Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard Surface // Low-poly Creation

I got told by a studio that my stuff is too 'cartoony' looking.
So I am trying to create more realistic Objects and Characters.
Hoping you can help me along the way, Thanks.

Here is 2 projects that I am going to try and get done.

automatfemale_007.jpg
scifi_gun_001.jpg

Replies

• makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update just trying to mass out the gun. not completely sure.

scifi_gun_002.jpg
  • jonincgi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you're off too a really good start. They probably just want more detail like stitching in the clothes. The gun looks more like a halo gun then say, a gun from call of duty. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, i'm finishing the female too I meant my current stuff in my portfolio isn't the type of art they do..

I did a texture test. I'll probably end up doing it like this. like simple base meshe, texture. and do some sculpting in zbrush for the highpoly normals. maybe easier that way.

guntexturetest.jpg
  • makecg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Project for a challenge side project.
    bobmarleyguitar.jpg
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    "Youre stuff is too cartoony" may be a less eloquent way of saying "You're not suited for us, but there are plenty of other studios that your style is perfectly suited to."

Before you go overhauling your portfolio, maybe (and I'm not trying to insinuate you haven't already done this) but think about what you want to make for a studio. If "cartoony" stuff comes naturally to you, maybe look towards that sort of place with more passion, and tailor yourself towards that goal.

If there's one thing I'm learning (Trying to break in as well) it's that studios want to see two things:

1. That you can replicate their style within the boundaries of a concept.
    2. You're not afraid to be adventurous.

ANYWAYS. I figured I'd just stop by and throw my 2 cents out here. This post in no way is meant to imply that you aren't doing good at this, I mean... the things you've posted on here look great, and by all intents and purposes, realistic enough, aside from maybe a little comic-book-esque in concept.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, be yourself man. You're cool. :D
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    how much time on average do you spend on one asset ?

because to me, 99% of your work looks wip and sketchy and very rough. most of them look like they could have been made in one evening or couple hours(excluding some of these new wip samples).

so in the end, i cant accept that your personal style could be the main problem here as much as your execution or final quality of work.

my suggestion, as i recommended long long ago would be to create fully polished assets that look like you spend more than few hours on it. put some hard work on your portfolio that makes you look like a serious artist and not just goofing around.