Home Technical Talk

Taking someone else's basemesh. Is that cheating?

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
Hey just a curious question....

I would like to know if using someone else's base mesh is considered cheating. If you are creating a character and start off with a simple base mesh but sculpt that into a michaelangelo masterpiece, is that cheating? Or would you need to create everything from scratch to make it a legitimately fair piece that you did all by yourself?

Replies

• cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    NO. there is word called sharing.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Depends on the Author and what kind of rights he gave you when allowing to get access to the base mesh.

Is it for private use only? Commercial, etc?

Then there is the question are you only using other peoples base-mesh, all the time? Are you practicing some on your own time? Would it serve better to create your own base mesh due to the requirements of the model, instead of the usual human hybrid limitation? Etc.

So honestly, it depends, there is no clear answer.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    IMO using someone else's basemesh is like wearing someone else's pants. Might be nicer than yours, but still feels kinda weird.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you know your basics well enough and it's a quicker way to achieve what you want more than it being the only way to achieve something you can't do on your own, then that's fine.
    Why reinvent the wheel?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    arcitecht wrote: »
    IMO using someone else's basemesh is like wearing someone else's pants. Might be nicer than yours, but still feels kinda weird.

lol. now that's a weird analogy. sort of makes sense though
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    No I don't think so.
    You have to realize that taking shortcuts is part of the deal of being a 3D Artist.
    That is not to say that there isn't a moral balancing act in there - because there is.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    You have to realize that taking shortcuts is part of the deal of being a 3D Artist.

This..
    3D is cheating.. as long as you get the end result it doesn't matter if you "cheated". Cheating != stealing other people's work, of course.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's cheating if someone else has made a really good one for your uses and it's legally available to use, but definitely have a crack at building some yourself.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    arcitecht wrote: »

lol this is great
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I think that everythign you do in cg is ok (except stealing). Everytime you 'cheat' you just loose opportunity to become better artist. One day you might need those skills you might have learned during creation of your own basemesh.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well if it's a basemesh, who cares anyways, as long as the retopo version is different.
    there are so many free base meshes out there anyway now, that it's makes the question kind of redundant.
    At home I build my own base meshes anyway, but if its for work and they provide you with a base mesh, then you will have to use the one they provide.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you punch the guy in the face, take it and sprint off cackling like a madman?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have thought alot about this and it's interesting to me where the "using as a tool" and "using as a crutch" blurs. If you rip the hands off a mesh because you don't like making hands is that cheating? Does it feel like cheating? Can you make them just as good as the author of the mesh? You know. You know the answer deep down. If it feels like cheating then it probably is.

THAT SAID... it depends entirely on the context. Most of the studios I have been at already have a base mesh they use and you need to use that to follow the visual style. So I hack that bitch to pieces. I totally agree with Vii/Ruz in this situation. Do whatever you can to get it done faster.

However... for personal work that you display on your website as "I DID THIS ALL MYSELF" yes I feel it's cheating. You are showing where you are at as an artist. If you can't sculpt hands and your work has amazing hands then you are lying to the world and everyone else.

Just my 2 pesos.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    nyx702 wrote: »

Just my 2 pesos.
    That's about 0.154 US Dollar.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    When i was starting, this was considered pure evil and unthinkable, but zbrush came along and artist started to work differently. Now its fairly accepted.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    If you want to "make it a legitimately fair piece that you did all by yourself" then I'd say using a someone elses basemesh is cheating. Not bad, but cheating in the rules that you set up for yourself. That said, if someone has made a basemesh available go on and use it, that's what it's for.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    That's about 0.154 US Dollar.

and about 0.926 norwegian kroner, so now we know....

also it's up to you if you see it as cheating, people feel different about these things.
    I would not use one in personal projects, in a work environment I would.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    manilamerc wrote: »
    Hey just a curious question....

I would like to know if using someone else's base mesh is considered cheating. If you are creating a character and start off with a simple base mesh but sculpt that into a michaelangelo masterpiece, is that cheating? Or would you need to create everything from scratch to make it a legitimately fair piece that you did all by yourself?
    define cheating
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'd wager that it's good practice to get used to meshes created by other artists. In my office, we frequently utilize meshes and textures from artists on our team and it's not uncommon to find elements of textures and meshes being reused in other projects to save time.

A phrase we're fond of: There's no reason to reinvent the wheel. ;-)
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    In a studio environment Kit bashing/using base meshes is a common practice but if you couldn't make the base mesh by your self or are using it because you feel like you couldn't make it as good then that's basically cheating your self haha
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with the last post. If you can make it yourself and its quicker to use someone elses, then go for it. (if they are ok with it).
    but it is really something you should know how to do yourself. So atleast have a decent understanding of how to make your own if you needed to.
  • Catchingdusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catchingdusk polycounter lvl 10
    It's not cheating by any means but as people above mentioned, you'd want to make sure that you have re-use and redistribution permissions on it.

Personally I feel that there is a greater learning potential by taking the time to make a base mesh from scratch, but I can understand the desire to "get to the fun part" ;)
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    When I started my current job, I made about 10 different trees and rocks, which I now just chop and change and lattice deform whenever we need new objects. It's fast and efficient and saves the company time and money. That said, one of my colleagues keeps spouting, "no wonder you're so fast! you're cheating!" as he insists everything should be made from a single polygon. I think in a private environment (and when you're learning), you can take as long as you like to make things from scratch, but in a work environment, you need to be doing whatever is the fastest and most efficient means to create great work.