RIP - Ryan Davis

Ark
polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... did not see that coming.
    "In the face of this awfulness, many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold," added Rorie."
    That's a great way to be remembered.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Was so fucking bummed out to hear this. RIP Duder.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    working more than you can physically afford eventually kills you

poor guy
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    totally out of nowhere. he was one of the very few good games journalists out there and an excellent on-air host. the interplay between him and the rest of the GB staff made for some of the best game-related content out there, both funny and informative at the same time.

a truly good Duder.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I've been listening to this guy on the BombCast every week since they started Giant Bomb. My condolences to his family, friends, coworkers, and his wife. This is a great loss for anyone familiar with Ryan himself, or simply his work.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    If he passed due to that reason, it's a stark reminder that not taking care of your body really does take its toll. Your body needs proper food, water, and rest, or the worst really can happen.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    I'm pretty shocked and saddened at the news. It feels like I lost a friend or something, I used to religiously frequent the Giantbomb site before. I almost had the pleasures of meeting him at PAX Prime.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Nothing I can say can express how incredibly bummed I am about the passing of somebody I never even met. Everybdoy should watch every episode of TANG.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Thats a big loss :/ Totally out of nowhere... Really sad.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    R.I.P. Ryan. Long time bombcast fan....LONGTIME. This is really tragic.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't too familiar, but anytime someone drops dead at the same age as me it freaks me out a lil'
  • RobSamuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He was a great personality. So long Ryan :(
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R.I.P Mr.Davis.
  • MattQ86
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sad to hear. Was it lack of sleep? Over exertion?

I heard it might of been from sleep apnea, but I don't think it has been confirmed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was probably related to his heart. Sleep apnea is connected to high blood pressure and weakened, enlarged heart muscle.

Poor diet, no exercise, poor sleep = train wreck. What's worse is the poor diet and no exercise tends to bring on sleep apnea and the whole process accelerates.

It's the same train a lot of people are on I'm afraid, take care of yourselves...
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea within this year and now have to sleep with a machine and face mask that regulates my breathing. It is nothing to joke about. This news was really sad to hear but it is also a bit of a wake up call. =/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Blog-ity]
    Yep my dad went down pretty much the same route, overweight didn't exercise that much in the years before he died but was a active guy before that, played football in college, he played soccer after he got out of the navy. At 45 his high blood pressure cost him his pilots license. He snored like a freight train and was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 10 years before he died. He died 49 of a "heart attack" but it wasn't your typical clogged artery.

He had a weakened enlarged heart due to everything above. His heart fell out of rhythm and was too weak to get back to normal. He died and was revived a few times on the way to the hospital and each time it weakened his weak heart even more.

Horrible way to go.

I was 20 when that happened, woke me up to the reality that the same was going to happen to me if I didn't take care of myself. I kept in pretty good shape after that, I ran track all through school and kept running afterward as a hobby. I biked to work and my wife and I went on hikes. I played soccer until I was 26. Then around 28-29 I started to slack off, stopped playing in rec leagues and slowly tapered off on the running and hikes a few injuries slowed me down and when my daughter was born it was too easy to ignore my health. I ate the same as if I was still exercising. I put on some weight, my blood pressure started to go up, energy levels went way down, I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea was given the mask and machine. It felt like a death sentence knowing it was what my dad used, so I made a lot of changes. How I ate, how I slept, how I worked, how I exercised. Rolled back a few years of bad habits.

I'm 36 now and have lost most of the weight slowly and steadily. I'm not a fan of routine exercise its monotonous going to a gym and paying for that monotony is just brutal. My avoidance of the gym is what drives me to eat right. If you eat right you don't have to burn it off. I still exercise but I prefer to be doing something other than "just exercising" we go on hikes again on the weekends and I'm teaching my daughter how to run and play soccer.

My heart is back in shape, blood pressure is normal, apnea is gone, energy is up, I just have to keep up on it. I walked down the other path for a while and I don't like where it leads.
    [/Blog blog]