Home Technical Talk

Realistic Skin

Hello guys. I am doing my model in ZBrush and the time has come for texture... I am not very good with textures, and seek a realistic skin (for all body), how can I get?Polypaint? textures?

Replies

• Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    This is what you need. Very awesome tutorial.

This tutorial was a waste of my time and money and ill tell you why.

1) No turntable at the end, no render sequence at the end, just the same shot that you get in the promo image. He built the textures specifically for use with the arnold renderer, but didnt do any renders. Admits that hes not very good at using arnold.

What hes supposed to do (i believe this is true) is to bounce between arnold and mari taking renders to make sure that it actually works with the arnold subsurface algorithm and tweak accordingly, not do what he did which is spend 4-5 hours in mari only, no checking, no rendering.

2) He didnt provide the model, any textures, and used $50 displacement maps taken from a mold that are being sold.

Lame.

edit: Apparently they're so uptight about arnold that you cant even make a tutorial about it, making the whole idea about this tutorial even MORE questionable. He could have just as easily used the maya new fast skin2 or vray skin and done a proper tutorial showing the actual process of checking the maps in the actual renderer and not the mari preview shader which doesnt have a subsurface component. Lame x2
  • John51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My OS is 32bit and Mari 2.0 is for 64 bit systems. Some other tutorial? this is good:;Portrait Production - Creating a Realistic Portrait in Maya - EAT3D?

edit:I forgot to mention that I want to bring my model for CryEngine 3.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Jedi wrote: »
    This tutorial was a waste of my time and money and ill tell you why.

1) No turntable at the end, no render sequence at the end, just the same shot that you get in the promo image. He built the textures specifically for use with the arnold renderer, but didnt do any renders. Admits that hes not very good at using arnold.

What hes supposed to do (i believe this is true) is to bounce between arnold and mari taking renders to make sure that it actually works with the arnold subsurface algorithm and tweak accordingly, not do what he did which is spend 4-5 hours in mari only, no checking, no rendering.

2) He didnt provide the model, any textures, and used $50 displacement maps taken from a mold that are being sold.
    Eh, the rendering is not what the tutorial is about. It's one of few good tutorials for Mari 2.0 and a showcase of his workflow for realistic skin. And you are by no means entitled to the model and textures, and why would you even want them?
  • wright.tom85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing the model and textures in a video is one thing, having them in your hands to play with is another. It lets you study the work in detail, at your own leisure.
    Many tutorials also provide "worksheet" files for you to work on alongside the video as practice.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Eh, the rendering is not what the tutorial is about. It's one of few good tutorials for Mari 2.0 and a showcase of his workflow for realistic skin. And you are by no means entitled to the model and textures, and why would you even want them?

I disagree. Making skin maps for offline rendering (arnold) requires that you preview it from time to time in the actual renderer with the subsurface algorithm. None of that takes place due to what I believe is the legal shutdown of arnold tutorials. Why he didnt choose mental ray, we'll never know.

EDIT: let me add to this: In Justin Holts previous gnomon dvd which is superior IMO he discusses the importance of rendering your textures to see how they actually work and he actually does it, with the modo renderer which is a progressive renderer just the same as arnold. He gets results from the renderer in seconds because its progressive.

That is an "all texturing" dvd as well, but, a much better one. Strange decisions this time, though.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    I assume that you are going to use a normal map with shaders, and the diffuse won't contain any light information.

You can paint your own diffuse with polypaint or any other application you like. Study your reference and/or your own skin closely and you will notice that it has many components: veins, hair, pores, wrinkles, scars, freckles etc. Just build up your texture in layers and you will get a nice diffuse base for your model.

headtexture.gif

armtexture.gif
  • John51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for tip... I'll try later :)
  • Froyok
  • John51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for sharing.