Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bruce Banner - HULK SMAAAASH

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
Hey guys, figured i'd post here instead of spamming up the WAYWO thread...

I wanted to do a kind of tech demo of sorts, i'll most likely be using UDK for final renders (or i may do them in max as i've just found a PBL shader to play with). the idea is that i'll use morph targets to transform him from Banner into Hulk, including material transitions, and some alpha map abuse to simulate cloth tearing.

anyway, this is also my first real attempt at likenesses, so hopefully it looks right.

Banner_1.jpg
Banner_2.jpg
Banner_3.jpg

Replies

• mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great so far, looking forward to seeing this finished. The transition between Bruce and the Hulk will really give you an opportunity to experiment with different approaches.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Without seeing this thread, I recognized him in the waywo, so I think it's very good :D

Interesting project, I'll keep an eye on it!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Great work so far man! Clean as fuck!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    He's looking a little ruffalo round the edges.... sorry, couldn't resist.

Great stuff so far!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    he looks a bit like he's always angry....ace work so far man...y'know I was thinking about warping characters via morph targets and shader trickery too, looking forward to seeing how you tackle this. I still worry that the front of his shirt is tucked in too tight though....like mummy dressed him a bit aggressively cos he was late for the lab :D
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great man :).

I'll point out the arms are a bit long.

Elbows should line up with belly button and wrists with bottom of buttocks.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin real sweet there mate, I'm excited to see it in its completed state! As far as critique goes, I agree with muzz on the length of the arms, however it seems as small a detail as shortening the humerus maybe 1-2 inches? Also, maybe a little more meat on the wrist flexors, he's got the scrawny kid curve going on there.

Id say,"sub'd" but after all this time, I still done know how.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    O8fBs4C.jpg
    65JwOpf.jpg

started texturing, i feel like i may need to add an extra couple of loops on the forhead for any creasing that may happen there.

the face id by far the heaviest in terms of polygon density, the rest of the body is pretty light as for the most part it will be hidden under clothing. and since i intend to use tesselation/displacement when doing the final renders, it is dense enough for the hulks silhouette too.

feedback welcome!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    wtf looks just like him!!!!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Very cool gir. I look forward to seeing how you handle the technical aspects of this, but I'm impressed by the artistic stuff already.

Are the clothes done in marvelous designer? If so, how do you like it? Will you incorporate it into your future character pipeline?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Looking really good. It might be a perspective issue but his head looks quite thin in comparison, and the skull shape looks a bit off, and the brow I think needs some work. He needs some more forms coming from his actually skull shape underneath, best way to describe it is by looking at some of the last of us stuff and how much the skull affects form. he's got those 2 bobbles just above the inner eye brows and the outer brow shouldn't go in but just make a sharper transition in places, he's got that little inflation on the outer eyebrow too. His central brow looks like it needs slightly softening where brow meets inner eyelid. The upper eyelid fat deposits are too smooth aswell. The main thing is to start thinking about underlying structures with likenesses and heads in general.

The retop is looking good too although I would continue the high density all over or atleast past the hair line. You also don't want any tris in the forehead or you will get deformation issues later.

It sounds like a lot haha and I'm being picky but will take 5 seconds :) low poly you can just wap back into Z and the reproject onto the high aswell so that will take 10 seconds haha. Fantastic stuff so far though dude, skin texture is really nice

Also the tucked in shirt looks like he's just been to the loo haha and he might need some folds added at the back of his knees unless he's going to be posed statically.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    yea the forehead anatomy needs more work. right now it looks a bit boxy and flat.
    foreheads can be deceptive and in reality are quite curved and round around the edge. you are also missing lot of the skull landmarks on the forehead. also the cranium looks a bit small.

it may help to study the references more with desaturated colors and adjusting levels to expose the forms and shapes of the face.

also, the creases above the upper eyelids looks too high and too prominent.

kNEDhdO.gif

also here is a video from ILM, watch it in 1080p. there is a good turntable of the cg double for mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_3r4b-CAU"]Behind the Magic: Creating The Hulk for "The Avengers" (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

here is the PSD in case you wanna study ti more:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13288045/MR.7z
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks everyone!

Crazyfool, MM, cheers guys, thanks for taking the time to give such good feedback. i'll revisit the high poly shortly (i'm currently doing hair planes) and try to correct those issues.
  • Miss Stabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    next up, a blendshape to transform him into the hulk ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    next up, a blendshape to transform him into the hulk ;)

hahahaha sooooon...

for now, working on getting a good physically based shader working in udk, all done using nodes. it's starting to come together!

big thanks to Maph for helping me with some issues.

QdfxDfL.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Had to format my machine yesterday, and as a result, some of the files for this got really messed up (for example, the max files are all corrupt, and won't open in any version of max).

so i've decided to leave this project for now until i have time to go through each file and see what works and what doesn't, and try to piece it all back together again.

shit fucking blows man =/
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Bummer. Was looking forward to more on this. People were saying his arms look too long, but I think that's just because his shoulders are low?
    Anyway, good luck with your file recovery.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Arf too bad :/ Hope you can save it in the future!