Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grayson's making stuff

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Grayson polycounter lvl 16
I'm going to try and keep up with posting my work. I'm going to start with my latest prop. The concept is from Carbines Wildstar. C&C Welcome and appreciated. I need and want to get better.

chair3.jpgChairConccept.jpg

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    You nailed that concept dude. One of the nicest hand painted props I've seen.

Only crit I'd give is that the stuffing appears slightly 'cloud like' when compared to the concept. Perhaps a few darker strokes to give a slight contrast and emphasise it's 'bobbly' form? A few spring alphas would also look pretty cool and push the silhouette to even greater awesomeness!

Looking forward to more of your work :)
  • Howl
    Really great execution on the concept. Very stylish and easily fits into the Wildstar world. I agree with Maximus, the stuffing sticking out of the top right could use some love. Would love to see flats as you post more work. Looking forward to it!
  • DWalker
    I'd agree with adding some detail - shading and polygons - to the stuffing.

The springs are missing from the armrest stuffing - was this intentional?

You might want to play with the specular a bit to give the chair a worn sheen.

I can't see the grid texture on the duct tape that's present in the concept.
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    I like it, the chair has a lot of character you should do more in this style. The only thing I see is some harsh angles in your polys. Just round those pointy areas out!
  • Heart_Murmur
    Yo Stu, looking good man, hit it for the most part, few critiques:

The bottom cushion is pretty mushy. I know the concept kinda has some mushyness to it, but the cushion has a clear larger V shape to it to show that it's been broken. Same with the wood splintering underneath.

Also the skull on the pillow needs some work, not much too it, just need to try and hit that stylized skull. Little details like that sell a style.

Here's a quick paintover:

Chair_Paintover.gif

I'd call it done, learn from it and move on, keep pumping them out :D
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    love the piece, and I think heart-murmurs paintover has just pushed it that little bit further, get it in a vignette of that style and it will look amazing.
  • Grayson
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your feedback!

I've made a few quick changes.

It's all real subtle stuff.

chair2.jpg
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Just need to say I found this wonderful.
  • Flumpinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Flumpinator polycounter lvl 10
    loving it :) gonna get that cigar smoking in the ash tray?
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Those minor changes have really pushed it. Awesome work.

And Flumpinator's got a cool point. A cigar cloud would look cool :)

All the best with your next piece! :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Came out really nice.

Your light setup is worse than at your first shot tho. Its pretty bland now, while it was pretty decent at start.
    Also id suggest a complementary color as background, the grey hurts the overall image. Edit, no complementary dosnt work, blue dosnt go with those green-ish wood. Green works very well imo

chair2.png

(also a little more space around the object would do well)

Nice work and choice of concept
  • Grayson
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shrike: Thanks, I see exactly what you mean with the color of the background and overall presentation. I"ll have to pay closer attention to that and the lighting.

@LANKUS MAXIMUS,Flumpinator, JR: Thanks! I agreed about the cigar and smoke. But maybe at another time. Time to make other things!