Home Technical Talk

Maya Crash Error... no idea how to get around it

Hey. Quick Maya question here.

Recently when working on the frontal polys for my characters torso maya has begun to crash on me.

To sum up the issue, every time I try to extrude an edge, a pop up message comes up and then Maya shuts down on me.

Here is what the message says: "Could not save file "/var/folders/nt/2d9lr9yd6k17f4k6v8mbwl5c0000gn/T/Tyler.20130705.1455.ma".

It acts as if I am trying to save and then the program crashes. When really all I want to do is extrude an edge.

I have tried everything. Reinstalling Maya, exporting the file into a different scene, changing the file format... I honestly have no way around this issue.

Can anybody help???

Thank you

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Do you have any add-ons or plugins installed?
  • xillyriax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xillyriax polycounter lvl 10
    How much History do you have on the object? Try deleting the History then Extrude.

When it crashes, Maya is attempting to save the file in that directory. Sometimes you get lucky and are able to reopen that file without any errors.
  • Afrosamurai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the help!

I recently just upgraded to Maya 2014. The only plugins that I have installed are the ones that auto-loaded by default....

In terms of the objects history, yeah it is all cleared! I have several lamberts on it.... but thats about it.

I still haven't found a way around this issue. :poly127:
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hmmm, maybe your mesh/scene is broken. You can try to export your mesh as an obj and reimport it in a new scene to see if it fix the problem.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try Mesh>Cleanup, maybe you have some bad geometry that Maya can't solve. Failing that, spot check your mesh by toggling smooth mesh preview, it's pretty useful for checking for topological issues. Or select all verts and weld.

From there, you could create a box, select it then your model, and combine the two. Then clear history and delete the polygons for the box.
  • Afrosamurai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! I finally figured it out! Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

What throttlekitty suggested finally worked for me. I just created a box, combined the two objects, deleted the history, then deleted the box afterwards. And now I can finally extrude again. Sometimes Maya can really bug out cant she? hahaha

Now, back to the modeling for my music video.

Salute!